RAW + JPEG on Alpha 100

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
chorleyjeff
Initiate

RAW + JPEG on Alpha 100

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

RAW images work well on my system as do JPEGs .
But recently I took a series of RAW+JPEG images. When I download there are no RAW images. This is in CS and Image Data Converter.
Any ideas how to get at the RAW images. I would like to print one.
Cheeers
Jeff
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: RAW + JPEG on Alpha 100

Unread post by harveyzone »

chorleyjeff wrote:RAW images work well on my system as do JPEGs .
But recently I took a series of RAW+JPEG images. When I download there are no RAW images. This is in CS and Image Data Converter.
Any ideas how to get at the RAW images. I would like to print one.
How are you downloading, and how are you viewing?

My guess would be that you are using an automated transfer software that does not recognise alpha RAW format photos, so only copies the JPGs. IDC would recognise them so if you are using that (or Motion Picture Browser) it should work, but CS may not. If you are using another piece of software then you need to check that it can is compatible with Sony alpha RAW files.

Alternatively, but less likely, it could be transfering them but the software not recognising them so they are hidden when viewing, although IDC and, I think, CS should be able to identify them, if not open them so that may not be the problem.

I would try browsing to the card using explorer (Windows - sorry I cannot recal the Mac way) to see if they are present on the card in the first place, and then perhaps cut (or copy) and paste to the destination folder. This will not be discriminatory of file type. If they are not being created at all then it is a camera setting.
--
Tom
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

Downloaded with DNG and again with Image Data Converter.
Can't find any trace of the RAWs. Both these converters convert RAW imageswhen RAW images are shot without JPGs.
Have deleted the images from my card.
Seems it will be an unresolved problem
Cheers
Jeff
SLUFDRIVER
Acolyte

Unread post by SLUFDRIVER »

For what it's worth, I am just learning to work with RAW images, and also am shooting RAW+JPEG on my a700. I simply used Windows Explorer to transfer the entire folder from the CF in the camera to my hard drive. (Cut > paste.) Seems to work for me; of course you must understand that I generally only follow directions as a last resort. :roll:
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

SLUFDRIVER wrote:For what it's worth, I am just learning to work with RAW images, and also am shooting RAW+JPEG on my a700. I simply used Windows Explorer to transfer the entire folder from the CF in the camera to my hard drive. (Cut > paste.) Seems to work for me; of course you must understand that I generally only follow directions as a last resort. :roll:
Well that is the way I do it and TBH this is why I dislike systems installed by imaging software that want to do this for you because, as CJ has discovered when things don't work as expected there can be trouble.

This is why I consider the regimen installed with latter versions of Elements an abomination.

Do the Sony A700 and 900 come with RAW file converters than can be used outside of Adobe's resource hungry, wallet emptying and baggage laden software?
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, IDC is a perfectly workable raw file converter. Sony Image Data Converter 2.0 on Mac does not seem so prone to memory problems as on PCs, and opens very fast. It has a good browsing utility companion. The only thing they have done is that IDC v1 was able to open 7D, 5D .MRW raw files and versions 1.1 and 2 lose all backwards compatability - they only handles .ARW files. This is slightly annoying as you don't want to have both. I can not check up on this now, I just know that the very first IDC provided by Sony in June 2006 when the A100 was launched opened both .MRW and .ARW files, and the commercially released copies I have in my retail camera boxes only handle .ARW. Of course I replaced the prototype version when I got a final retail model A100.

David
Glyn R
Initiate

Unread post by Glyn R »

I have seen this problem with Adobe Lightroom. It seems that Lightroom takes the Raw and keeps it as a hidden file. Can you see the images on your computer with Explorer. I have had a similar problem with setting the don't import suspected duplicates box. May help.
The older I get the better I used to be.