AdobeRGB versus sRGB on a monitor

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
REAlpha
Acolyte

AdobeRGB versus sRGB on a monitor

Unread post by REAlpha »

Much has been written about the differences between AdobeRGB and sRGB. However, what would be the precise difference when viewing on a calibrated monitor is not entirely clear (clearly I do not have a calibrated monitor to test this).

A calibrated AdobeRGB monitor:
- an AdobeRGB photo: looks perfect
- an sRGB photo: looks ?

A calibrated sRGB monitor:
- an AdobeRGB photo: looks ?
- an sRGB photo: looks perfect

Who can explain?
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: AdobeRGB versus sRGB on a monitor

Unread post by 01af »

REAlpha wrote:A calibrated Adobe RGB monitor:
- an Adobe RGB photo: looks perfect
- an sRGB photo: looks ?
Depends on the software used to display the photo. If that's colour-management-aware then the sRGB image will look fine as well. If it's not then the sRGB image will look shrill and over-saturated.

REAlpha wrote:A calibrated sRGB monitor:
- an AdobeRGB photo: looks ?
Depends on the software used to display the photo again. If it's colour-management-aware then the Adobe RGB image will look fine as well. If it's not then the Adobe RGB image will look dull and under-saturated.

-- Olaf
REAlpha
Acolyte

Unread post by REAlpha »

Thanks for your answer. So, when you are using Internet Explorer, it doesn't look good on either monitor in both alternatives. But when you would be using Safari than both options would look good. Or are you just talking about Photoshop and other colour managed software?
REAlpha
Acolyte

Unread post by REAlpha »

Hello Don and Olaf,

Thanks for your input. I do intend to use a wide gamut monitor in the near future and as I will only have one monitor to work from, I was wondering how those many sRGB photos on the internet would look like (using Safari). As I understand it, sRGB photos would look OK on a calibrated wide gamut (AdobeRGB) monitor. Let me know whether you would like to add to this so I can learn more.

RE
REAlpha
Acolyte

Unread post by REAlpha »

Hi Don,

I had a first look on the page and that is quite worthwhile information. They explain the issues quite clearly and there is a lot of information that helps a further understanding.

Thanks,
RE