Ligthroom 3.0 BETA 2 -> Compression option limit file size

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
InTheSky
Viceroy

Ligthroom 3.0 BETA 2 -> Compression option limit file size

Unread post by InTheSky »

For who don't have experiment yet this new option in the Lightroom software. Adobe has had a very powerful option that was missing in the last version. This option allow you to select the maximum size of your exported JPEG. By that, Adobe will work to get the better compression with a minimum of lost in the image. But beware, this eat a lot of CPU :-). The difference is after the waiting is that you can get JPEG with incredible detail and very low size file. (this is good for pbase user :-) ).

regards,

Frank
Last edited by InTheSky on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
roysmith
Heirophant

Re: Ligthroom 3.0 BETA 2 -> Compression option limit size

Unread post by roysmith »

You can limit image size or file size? If file size, then it may not be a good idea to use it since you can actually loose detail in very busy images which usually compress less than simpler images. I had a Nikon D50 which saved files that way (limiting file size) and for some images it was great but for others, like foliage and busy things like that, the jpeg artifacts were clearly visible.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Re: Ligthroom 3.0 BETA 2 -> Compression option limit size

It is limiting in File size. And the algorithm tell you if he is not able to fit the image in the size you have specify. About what parameter it base is compression I don't know ... but, I can take up to 1 or 2 minutes if you give a very difficult picture to compress.

On the other end, the result is very impressive for the file size reduction. Probably if I search more on the adobe website there is probably in good explanation on the loss level of detail.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
roysmith
Heirophant

Re: Ligthroom 3.0 BETA 2 -> Compression option limit file si

1 or 2 minutes for each file? Well then I guess it should be much better than the D50 interal jpeg engine :)
InTheSky
Viceroy

the 1 to 2 minutes was for 24MP RAW files to fit in less than 5meg. And we have to deal with a Beta version.

but for sure, on my side, the credit card is waiting for the official version 3.0.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
roysmith
Heirophant

Oh I didn't mean that 2 minutes is too much time (in fact I use DxO which takes about that time per pic), I was just comparing that 2 minutes to the time my Nikon D50 took for writing the jpg file (milliseconds I guess). If we take that into account then the results should be a lot better in Lightroom.