Lightroom 3 Guides

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Richard T
Acolyte

Lightroom 3 Guides

Unread post by Richard T »

I've just ordered Lightroom 3 & wondered if members had any advice as to a the best guide book (or whatever medium) - I've posted this on a couple of other forums so apols if you've seen this before.
Best wishes & thanks in advance !
RT
donwae12
Acolyte

Re: Lightroom 3 Guides

Unread post by donwae12 »

I use LR3 for digital photographers by Scott Kelby and find it very useful.
safecracker

Unread post by safecracker »

Another vote for LR3 by Scott Kelby. Excellent :D :D
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Richard T wrote:I've just ordered Lightroom 3 & wondered if members had any advice as to a the best guide book (or whatever medium) - I've posted this on a couple of other forums so apols if you've seen this before.
I'm fortunate enough to have a local public library that has Lightroom books by several authors who come recommended on the web, so I have had the chance to spend time with all of those books, rather than just quickly browsing them at the store, or depending upon the opinions of others.

In my personal opinion, Scott Kelby's book is good, but I prefer the book by Martin Evening. In a few areas I think Kelby does a better job, but overall I find Evening's book to be better - for my personal preferences. FWIW, some people find Scott Kelby's quite frequent attempts to inject his personal sense of humor throughout his books to be very irritating. Although it does not bother me, it really seems to affect some people much more than I would have expected.

Personally, if I were to limit myself to one and only one guide/reference, I would choose "Adobe Lightroom 3 - the Missing FAQ" by Victoria Bampton. It's available in both print and electronic format from her web site, which is located at: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/ This is not a step-by-step trip through Lightroom, but is organized (very well, IMO) around the concept of answering "How do I . . . ?" questions.

IMO, the electronic form is preferable to the printed form. It is very thoroughly hyperlinked, which makes it easy to go to related material that may be referenced in a section you are reading. In addition, the Table of Contents is excellent, but having the book in electronic format also makes it easy to search for anything that strikes your fancy. (The electronic version is also cheaper than the printed version.) :D

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Trial & error + stay tuned on Photoclubalpha.com
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Richard T
Acolyte

Unread post by Richard T »

LR3 Package arrived today (at work) so looks like I'm busy tonight ! Many thanks for all your helpful replies - much appreciated
I'll let you know how I get on.... "Wish me luck as I wave you goodbyeee"
RT