Focus Stacking

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
malcy
Initiate

Focus Stacking

Unread post by malcy »

Hello all, apologies if this has previously been discussed but has anyone any info on focus stacking add ons/stand alone software. I thought about getting a tilt/shift lens to increase the depth of field of landscape photography but they are quite expensive. Could an add on be used with elements 8 and if so what would be the best option. regards, malcy
malcy
Initiate

Re: Focus Stacking

Unread post by malcy »

Erm? well I'm not really one for answering my own posts but came across a free download called CombineZP so I tried it. I took 5 manual shots at f2.8, focusing from back to front and then let the programme blend them together. It works very well as long as you leave a small area at the edges of the pic as you have to crop this portion off. I beleive not only can it be used for macro shots but also landscapes as well. As soon as the weather improves I will be trying it out. I hope this is of help to anyone thinking along the same lines as myself. Cheers
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Malcy - Stacking is something I've heard of but never tried. Thanks for the tip on the s/w. What did the end result look like? Was it what you were hoping for? Perhaps one of our resident macro experts has some further comment :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
malcy
Initiate

Unread post by malcy »

I have to say that my first try was fairly good. I only took 5 shots focusing my way down the subject [fruit] but then took 10 shots and processed the subject again. The result was very good and when you look at the first and last images before processing you will see what I mean. I used a tripod. f2.8 CZ24-70, iso 200, 1/60. Of course each subject will be different and as I said previously I cant wait to try landscape. The software seems fairly simple, I 'aligned' the shots and then went to 'do stack' and I think this is the correct procedure. I would be interested to see how you get on with this and anyone else reading this post [if I can do it, anyone can]
regards, malcy