Who does their own prints?

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Who does their own prints?

Unread post by artington »

Seriously. I used to enlarge and print my own negatives and slides -yes colour too! Then digital photography came along so the enlarger and chemicals went, replaced by a scanner and inkjet printer. The results were a lot worse than my old B&W and Cibachrome prints. The B&W ink jets had green casts and the colours, well they didn't look like they did on the screen and calibration added lot more expense to an already expensive process.

We were told digital printing would be cheaper than the od way because there was no silver halide involvement. But they gotchus! Because ink prices were higher than silver, or so it seems.

Nevertheless, I persevered with a Canon i965 and Epson 1290 but still found I was getting good prints to test prints at a ratio of 1:10 or 1:20.

So I gave up. Professional labs seemed a better and more economical bet for my sort of turnover (ie amateur). And I was doing the creative ;) stuff on the computer - no more dodging, burning and masking for me! Trouble was the prints came back in cardboard tubes so impossible to frame without winding marks.

So here is the dilemma. In economic terms, as a hobbyist, the solution is easy - use a lab. But which labs return large prints unrolled? Hoever its not all economics - in enjoyment terms should I re-enter the fray? After all, modern inkjet printers are so much less temperamental they say. But are they? I might be tempted by the Epson R3000 but would I just be letting myself in for another period of expense and frustration before consigning yet another printer to the dustbin, along with a mountain of test prints?

The artist in me (definite case of left brain hemisphere versus right) says go for it. So I've enrolled for a couple of days at the Epson Print Academy in Hemel Hempstead which promises to be interesting and is reasonably priced.

But I have my doubts.

What s your experience? Am I nuts to be considering this again? Or is life short, so we may as well have a bit of fun and indulge ourselves?
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Who does their own prints?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Me!
but it doesn't count, I work at a photolab...
artington wrote:Seriously. I used to enlarge and print my own negatives and slides -yes colour too! Then digital photography came along so the enlarger and chemicals went, replaced by a scanner and inkjet printer. The results were a lot worse than my old B&W and Cibachrome prints. The B&W ink jets had green casts and the colours, well they didn't look like they did on the screen and calibration added lot more expense to an already expensive process.
Color management is what you need. Some reading http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=27922167
artington wrote: We were told digital printing would be cheaper than the od way because there was no silver halide involvement. But they gotchus! Because ink prices were higher than silver, or so it seems.
It can be cheap if your workflow works. Otherwise it is not cheap at all and the most of the times you only get disappointed
artington wrote: So I gave up. Professional labs seemed a better and more economical bet for my sort of turnover (ie amateur). And I was doing the creative ;) stuff on the computer - no more dodging, burning and masking for me! Trouble was the prints came back in cardboard tubes so impossible to frame without winding marks.

So here is the dilemma. In economic terms, as a hobbyist, the solution is easy - use a lab. But which labs return large prints unrolled?
AdoramaPix, but if you are in the UK, the SSHH will probably seams a little expensive.
artington wrote: However its not all economics - in enjoyment terms should I re-enter the fray? After all, modern inkjet printers are so much less temperamental they say. But are they? I might be tempted by the Epson R3000 but would I just be letting myself in for another period of expense and frustration before consigning yet another printer to the dustbin, along with a mountain of test prints?
Color management (look at that link, and google for more information) will solve most of your problems.
artington wrote: The artist in me (definite case of left brain hemisphere versus right) says go for it. So I've enrolled for a couple of days at the Epson Print Academy in Hemel Hempstead which promises to be interesting and is reasonably priced.

But I have my doubts.

What s your experience? Am I nuts to be considering this again? Or is life short, so we may as well have a bit of fun and indulge ourselves?
I think that, for "regular" glossy, matte, luster or metallic paper, use a photolab. If you want to try special kind of paper, like torchon or special matte.. do it yourself.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Great, thanks Pako.

Now does anyone recommend a good photo lab in the UK?
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

I've printed a large number of my own prints up to A3+ for years (currently using HPB9180) but have recently (this week) tried an on-line printer mentioned by some very respected photography speakers I've seen at various shows, who say the quality for the price is unbelievable, and they are correct.

I sent a range of prints of all sorts of exposures and colours to test the service and I am really happy with the results, all printed on Fuji paper

The costs are kept low by doing some of the work yourself (exact sizes, converting to profile, correct dpi resolution) the lab is ProAm imaging and the cost for A3 £1.27/print

Rapid delivery and delivered flat packed in very sturdy packaging.

Hope it helps

Cheers

Paul

ps I have no affiliation with them, I just thought I would pass on information.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Surprisingly they are not actually the cheapest in the UK, but they do have a good reputation. They are one of the few labs which deals with our professional (MPA) market and they advertise in Master Photography magazine occasionally - but they almost do not need to advertise as word of mouth is enough.

What is most interesting is that ProAm consistently hit the correct density for prints, where much more expensive labs (for example, Loxley, probably the top UK lab) fail to get this aspect right.

David
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

I have been using an Epson 3880 for over a year now. Previously I was using a print shop across the road from where I was working. I decided to do my own thing so as to improve my control over the product. Doing my own printing is certainly more expensive.

I found printing to be a huge learning curve, but ultimately worth the effort. I found Michael Reichmann's web-site (Luminous Landscape or LuLa) invaluble as a source of information on printing. In particular his series "From Camera to Print" is great, although it is getting a little dated by now.

For Black and White prints use an ABW profile - I found references to one for the 3880 on LuLa. I generally use Epson Premium Lustre Photo Paper for B&W's.

regards - Peter
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

dewarp wrote:I found printing to be a huge learning curve, but ultimately worth the effort. I found Michael Reichmann's web-site (Luminous Landscape or LuLa) invaluble as a source of information on printing. In particular his series "From Camera to Print" is great, although it is getting a little dated by now.
FWIW, Reichmann & Schewe have a new and expanded version of that vidoe tutorial for sale now on "Luminous Landscape".

I do not have that tutorial (or the earlier version) so I cannot comment on its merits.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Thanks for this Paul. It has unfortunately come a little late for me because after a couple of months wait I thought no-one would come up with a UK lab which ticked the boxes. So I bought an Epson R3000. So far I'm happy to say the results are excellent but I bet my cost is much higher than ProAm. So I may try them out and compare the results and reserve the R3000 for B&W.