choosing/testing raw software

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Alain
Initiate

choosing/testing raw software

Unread post by Alain »

Hi

I'm now using bibble with my A700, but can test Capture one.

My question is : Where to look at or how to test RAW convertor software?

Alain

BTW. Seldom use higher than 800 ISO.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: choosing/testing raw software

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Always do a search on the Photoclubalpha main website first -

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2008/02/2 ... rocessors/

This article deals with high ISO, but covers seven different raw processors and has links to all of their sites at the end.

David
Alain
Initiate

Unread post by Alain »

Thanks

I've read the mentioned resources before (on dyxum for almost 3 years), but still am unsure how to proceed. (and to avoid unsignificant differences)

Testing the workflow and handling is rather easy, work with and test the software.

But I don't have insight in how to test the IQ. I can follow the high ISO differences, but for example colorwise IQ on low ISO's?

Alain
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If you want to do that, photograph a test target of any type you like - a colour composition with loads of colour. Shoot raw + JPEG. Then process the raw to exactly the same size as the JPEG, using every raw converter.

Now you need to compare the colours - one easy way is make an HTML document on your own PC, with one image per page. Use your web browser to open it, and the image will cache, so that if you open each page in a tab, you can just click the tabs and instantly see the change between the in-camera JPEG and the raw conversion, or between any two raw conversions. The image will not move position and the flick over from one to another is instant.

This is a quicker method than putting them in a slideshow or Powerpoint or making an animation.

David
pcabot

Unread post by pcabot »

Hi,

I am in a similar situation, where I cannot find the right raw converter and digital photos suite for my sony a700 (firmware v4).

Here is my question (which might be dummy, but I can't find any answer on the forums):
Which raw converter will give me the same result as the jpeg produced by the a700 ?

- I know that a raw file means a file without any "processing",
- the sony image lightbox software is the only one that opens the ARW file with the same "in camera" processing as the jpeg. I understand that this "in camera" processing might be proprietary, but I am sure that other programs can read that information and process the image properly...
- I tried the following programs, and none of them can give me the same output as the sony software : Adobe bridge (ACR), Lightroom 2, Raw Therapee, RawHide, and Bibble pro.
- The sony lightroom is really not an ideal software (slow, clunky, etc.) and that is why I don't want to use it. But so far, I cannot find any raw converter which gives me the same output as sony lightbox ?

I am looking for some kind of converter/editor which would have the sony a700 profile already setup in order to produce the proper jpeg output wihtout having to manually setup the the converter ? (because frankly there are way too many settings to tweak to be able to match what the jpeg output is doing). With that converter, I will be able to change some processing settings on the image without "re-applying" the ones that the camera has already done.... (because I like the in-camera processing, but sometimes I want to make some adjustments)

Is it clear ?
It's been a month that I have been looking for any information on that topic.
Any help would be appreciated ! :D

Thanks in advance,
Philippe
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

...but I am sure that other programs can read that information and process the image properly...
Why? I'm sure there are not.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3