DXO Optics 7.1 now available - A77 and A65 supported

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

DXO Optics 7.1 now available - A77 and A65 supported

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

DXO Labs have just released 7.1, a few weeks after launching 7 (rather surprisingly, they launched with a77 support but not a65 - v7.1 corrects that and includes the new 16-50 2.8 kit lens too). Its a pretty good upgrade with the main difference being a fairly significant speed increase on most hardware configs. Its a really nice RAW processor if your camera / lenses are supported* and worth a trial - I find the NR to be superior to what I can achieve in LR3.x without extra plugins.

Scott

*if your lenses aren't in there, you can still use it 'manually' with the basic presets and i find the workflow more intuitive than LR.
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: DXO Optics 7.1 now available - A77 and A65 supported

Unread post by agorabasta »

You absolutely cannot use true geometry-based CA corrections 'manually' in any version of DxO. The 'basic' CA control there for the unsupported lens/body configurations is mere desaturation and colour blurring around the edges - looks abominable.

You absolutely cannot get colour calibration with DxO. So you are stuck with their default colour profiles and may only tinker with HSL adjustments. But then you may be happy with DxO colours. Personally, I find them badly incorrect and outright disgusting.

Though I must say that they have finally improved their NR in their latest versions.

Basically, I hate DxO proggies for their attitude toward the user - too little freedom and a 'holier than thou' approach.
Old Hydro
Initiate

Unread post by Old Hydro »

agorabasta wrote:You absolutely cannot use true geometry-based CA corrections 'manually' in any version of DxO. The 'basic' CA control there for the unsupported lens/body configurations is mere desaturation and colour blurring around the edges - looks abominable.

You absolutely cannot get colour calibration with DxO. So you are stuck with their default colour profiles and may only tinker with HSL adjustments. But then you may be happy with DxO colours. Personally, I find them badly incorrect and outright disgusting.

Though I must say that they have finally improved their NR in their latest versions.

Basically, I hate DxO proggies for their attitude toward the user - too little freedom and a 'holier than thou' approach.

Look here: http://www.dxo.com/us/photo/dxo_optics_ ... c_metairie
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The ICC profiles are static. Which means that every pair of shooting+developing parameters needs a separate ICC profile for a given camera. The raw developers using such profiles universally try to apply some interpolation corrections based on the (highly unprofessional) guesswork of their authors.
dennismullen
Acolyte

Unread post by dennismullen »

DxO is a great program but not as a stand alone converter. It's power is the ability to use it for what it does best and then export a DNG file to open in ACR and use what it does best. You have the option of using either the DxO or ACR color profiles. The default presets are very usable for batch converting.

Cheers,