Lightroom 4.0 Is now available and good price !

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
InTheSky
Viceroy

Lightroom 4.0 Is now available and good price !

Unread post by InTheSky »

I just got the new version of Adobe Lightroom 4.0. After playing with the beta I found the very good advantage for the noise reduction and also the correction in the "Clarity" setting where the highlight separation are now not weird :-). They have not fix all the last problem, but in general it is a good change, I'm still not sure about the removing of some light control so simplify them in one...

They reduce the price to a more competitive compare to other software (even if all the other are not as good as LR to manage the catalog -> if you play with only one computer :-( ).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Re: Lightroom 4.0 Is now available and good price !

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Just be careful if you don't have a powerful computer. There are lots of complaints on the Adobe forum that LR4 is significantly slower than LR3. The beta version was slower, but I think everyone was expecting the released version would be better.
Mike
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I'll just wait until the student license will be available. I should get it for an attractive price then!

From the Adobe website.
System requirements

Windows
•Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
•Microsoft® Windows Vista® with Service Pack 2 or Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1
•2GB of RAM
•1GB of available hard-disk space
•1024x768 display
•DVD-ROM drive
•Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

Mac OS
•Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
•Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
•2GB of RAM
•1GB of available hard-disk space
•1024x768 display
•DVD-ROM drive
•Internet connection required for Internet-based services*
InTheSky
Viceroy

Mike-Photos wrote:Just be careful if you don't have a powerful computer. There are lots of complaints on the Adobe forum that LR4 is significantly slower than LR3. The beta version was slower, but I think everyone was expecting the released version would be better.
Tired of waiting of Lightroom 3.x and A900 RAW files, I have built a monster machine in the past ... Even the BETA of LR 4.0 was not feeling slow a few weeks ago.

I have recently update my dual Quad Core XEON on the mother board, so I will tried to do some test to see if there is a a huge difference in speed between the two version, but so far from version to version Adobe always improved there speed ...

Regards,

Frank
Frank
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

As I was reading this thread Adobe pop an ad into my mailbox, as if they knew... :shock:

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Mike
mvanrheenen

Dusty wrote:As I was reading this thread Adobe pop an ad into my mailbox, as if they knew... :shock:

Dusty
It's a conspiracy! :shock: :lol:
InTheSky
Viceroy

Mike-Photos wrote:Here's the link to the forum:
http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/ ... iscussions
I have done some quick test on my side, and the LR 4.0 is using in general about ~twice the memory in single execution of browsing from picture to picture.

The speed looks a bit slower then the LR 3.5.

But I'm working in a company where we selling software consultant and also doing our own product. I know that this kind of release looks more to meet a date than a proper product. The good thing is that Adobe has a lot of good software dev under there hat (and a few scrum's sprint to execute), and like usual, the version 4.1 or .2 ... will be the proper starting one ...

For the price down, I have purchase it right after the announcement. There is so fare on Windows base no better software end to end. There is another close ... but not yet there.

Frank
Frank
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

InTheSky wrote:I have done some quick test on my side, and the LR 4.0 is using in general about ~twice the memory in single execution of browsing from picture to picture.

The speed looks a bit slower then the LR 3.5.
And it's going to stay about the same until we upgrade our machines. Twice the mem and lower speed come from more 'layers' needed for auto CA correction and the associated calculations.

Meanwhile, I recommend having the catalogue placed on an SSD drive, it better yet be not the one hosting the active OS. That really helps.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Just from what I have read about LR 4 it looks quite good and the price reduction is also very welcome. I have been reading a lot in various places about severe speed problems though that many people are having, even on very high-spec computers. I will wait awhile before downloading and maybe there will be a LR 4.1 soon that fixes this stuff. Here is just one thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?tstart=0

I suspect the price reduction is partly because they have more competition now and also because they may feel a bit chastened by customer dissatisfaction after their recent efforts to significantly raise the cost of using PS. Competition is good!

Oh, get a load of these Windows download sizes:

LR 3: 234mb
LR 4: 719mb :!: :shock:
ASP 1: 33mb
agorabasta
Viceroy

I didn't get catastrophic slowdowns with Lr4 on all machines I tried. It was just somewhat (1.5-2 times) slower than Lr3. And I even tried one 32bit Win7 installation.

One thing in common between all my machines was that none of them had any Nvidia components, neither video nor chipsets.

And it seems that those who report catastrophic slowdowns all have some Nvidia parts in their configs.
mvanrheenen

agorabasta wrote:I didn't get catastrophic slowdowns with Lr4 on all machines I tried. It was just somewhat (1.5-2 times) slower than Lr3. And I even tried one 32bit Win7 installation.

One thing in common between all my machines was that none of them had any Nvidia components, neither video nor chipsets.

And it seems that those who report catastrophic slowdowns all have some Nvidia parts in their configs.
That would be driver related then. A strange thing though, LR doesn't utilize hardware acceleration as much/at all.
agorabasta
Viceroy

mvanrheenen wrote:
That would be driver related then. A strange thing though, LR doesn't utilize hardware acceleration as much/at all.
It may well be that some driver patch may alleviate the problem. But it's more than likely that there's simply too much latency somewhere there deep inside Nvidia architecture. After all, Nvidia never managed to cure switchover stutters in their abysmal 'Optimus' tech drivers.

And Lr definitely does use OpenGL and it is also using the video system processing power as all serious modern video drivers allow that through the standard OS means.