Alpha 100 and Colour space

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
chorleyjeff
Initiate

Alpha 100 and Colour space

Unread post by chorleyjeff »

I intend to use my new Alpha for prints from an Epson 1800 via Photoshop CS and for showing on screen to family and for use on forums.
Question is should I use the Adobe, Standard or one of the DEC colour spaces according to the subject when shooting for printing? I intend to try RAW but in that case I assume the subject settings will not kick in and all adjustments will be in Photoshop (I have used PS for scanning and printing with mixed success so know a bit about PS adjustments). Also should I use the various DEC settings when shooting for screen pictures.
Cheers
Jeff
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If you shoot raw you can always extract a wide gamut ProPhotoRGB or AdobeRGB result later on. I think it's best to use sRGB, which means any of the other DEC modes than AdobeRGB, because -

Your JPEG previews look better on the camera LCD
Your in camera JPEGs can be printed directly on PICTbridge, card slot type, minilab etc printers (AdobeRGB can not be - the camera alters the filename to prevent these printers recognising the JPEG)
Your in camera JPEGs are ready for web posting (AdobeRGB images look flat and dull on most web browsers, sRGB look normal)
You can use the effects for the JPEG and this provides a reference for processing raw to match up with Vivid, Portrait, etc

David