EXIF in multipe layer pictures

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Jonathan K
Oligarch

EXIF in multipe layer pictures

Unread post by Jonathan K »

Hi there,

Dr. Harout pointed out (thanks..) that nearly all of the pics in my gallery are lacking the EXIF.
The reason is that I created a "frame" in PS and copied the resized picture into it. PS seems to use the exif of the Layer 0 or the Background.

Is there a way to transmit the exif of the picture to the new document?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: EXIF in multipe layer pictures

Unread post by harveyzone »

Jonathan K wrote:Dr. Harout pointed out (thanks..) that nearly all of the pics in my gallery are lacking the EXIF.
The reason is that I created a "frame" in PS and copied the resized picture into it. PS seems to use the exif of the Layer 0 or the Background.

Is there a way to transmit the exif of the picture to the new document?
What format are these files? Tools like Exifer and Exiftool will let you export/import Exif details between JPGs (and possibly other formats too).
--
Tom
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Hi,
thanks for your answer.
The files are Jpegs. But I believe that all those programs only allow to add infos to the XMF file. The essential infos about the camera settings etc (which are read-only) cannot be edited. So as far as I have understood the instructions (I didn't actually download one) I would not be able to use these applications for my purposes...
Thanks anyway. By the way I believe that this kind of editing can be done in PS.

Cheers Jonathan

harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

Jonathan K wrote:The files are Jpegs. But I believe that all those programs only allow to add infos to the XMF file. The essential infos about the camera settings etc (which are read-only) cannot be edited. So as far as I have understood the instructions (I didn't actually download one) I would not be able to use these applications for my purposes...
Exifer certainly can (I had to check to make sure). I now have two identical JPGs on my desktop. Photoshop thinks that one was shot at 1/100, f5.6, and the other at 1/30, f/2.8. It will allow you to export/backup exif to a file, and then import/restore from a file (even from an export from another image). It will let you fix time/date stamps to an absolute or relative time (I used it once to correct a batch of images that I had taken with the wrong time set on my camera), and to add standard user info etc.

It is rather old now (last developed in 2002) but it still works fine on my Vista 64bit, and the developer has also since written GeoSetter which allows you to add GPS tags to JPGs and XMP sidecar files and may allow you to do the things that Exifer does (I have not investigated this).
--
Tom
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Thanks a lot Tom,

it seems to work... Just a pain that it doesn't exist for Mac OS, just as 99% of all other Exif-Editors I found when browsing the net. But I still have a PC laptop, so...
But this should solve the issue.

Cheers Jonathan