Resizing Image

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Birma
Tower of Babel

Resizing Image

Unread post by Birma »

I have a very basic question on resizing images. At the end of adjusting an image I often want to resize it for displaying on the web, typically 1000 or 800 pixels wide. The resulting jpeg seems to have lost detail comapred with a jpeg of the original size zoomed out (if you see what I mean). Is it possible to get a jpeg that is only 800 pixels wide which looks as good as a bigger jpeg zoomed at 30% (or whatever) on the screen so it is showing only 800 pixels wide? (Hope this makes sense :) ). I'm using Elements to resize.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Resizing Image

Unread post by Birma »

Mmm. At the risk of answering my own question, I think some of this may depend on how you compare the images. In Image Data Lightbox the 800 pixel jpeg doesn't look as good as its zoomed, but full size, counter-part. If I use the Windows viewer they look almost identical. Is IDL doing some extra work with the additional information it has from the larger image to display more detail?
SilviuV
Acolyte

Unread post by SilviuV »

You should try OnOne Genuine Fractals. I found it is very good for up-scaling (better than bicubic) and maybe even it is good for down-scaling. I use this as a photoshop ad-on and it delivers. It is also available as stand-alone software.

Cheers
Silviu
Proud architecture student, A100 SAL 18-70mm, Hoya Pro1 Digital CR-PL, ExpoDisk Neutral, Lowepro Daypack Backpack.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Doh! In retrospect I suppose it's obvious - do the resize before doing all of the post processing e.g. sharpening. Thanks to SilviuV and Sonalta for the tips. I'll give those a go.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I find I get better results if I don everything first then resize but save sharpening for the last (after resize) Somtiome if you do things like increase saturation it looks like too much after the resize so that gets adjusted again