2 Cameras at the Auto Show

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: 2 Cameras at the Auto Show

Unread post by sury »

This is an example that supports either having two cameras or the right lens at the right time but .... saved by the megapixels on A99M2.
This Turkey Vulture (?) was a tad bit in shade and I was a bit away. Had the 70-400 on the camera, I would have gotten a much closer look. I had to settle for 70mm and luckily had the presence of mind to slightly underexpose.
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

That's just beautiful, Sury. :)
Whichever the species, it's a very interesting one and the details are neat. Good for 70-400 mm and the photographer! Well done.

For windy and sandy conditions JBTaylor's two-camera approach seems the best solution, after an experience I went through myself. :)

Thanks for sharing, guys.
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you.
By the way of clarifying the situation. I had 24-70 on my camera and I wish it was 70-400.
The exact situation JT was talking about. If I had 2 bodies, one with 24-70 and another with 70-400, I would have
had a better image with 70-400 given my distance to the bird. But at that time I had 24-70 and had to severely crop the photo.

The original OOC image is below.
I do not think I would have had the previous one without the megapixels. These photos support both the positions of JT
and mine rather well, I think. :lol:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote:Yildiz,
Thank you.
By the way of clarifying the situation. I had 24-70 on my camera and I wish it was 70-400.
The exact situation JT was talking about. If I had 2 bodies, one with 24-70 and another with 70-400, I would have
had a better image with 70-400 given my distance to the bird. But at that time I had 24-70 and had to severely crop the photo.

The original OOC image is below.
I do not think I would have had the previous one without the megapixels. These photos support both the positions of JT
and mine rather well, I think. :lol:

Let's not forget the fact that 24-70 is a brilliant Carl Zeiss as well. Your cropped photo quality is due to = Pixels + Added lens quality of Carl Zeiss. :D A nicely manufactured Carl Zeiss always delivers! ( As is obvious, I strongly believe in Carl Zeiss quality. Still.) :)

Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Amen. I think it was Doc, and Andy who "nudged" me to get CZ lenses. Especially 24/f2 was all thanks to Doc.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote:Amen. I think it was Doc, and Andy who "nudged" me to get CZ lenses. Especially 24/f2 was all thanks to Doc.

Sury
They are masters of quality photography and ever enthusiastic photography gear seekers, no doubt! :D We learned so much from their sharing on many levels.
We miss them and their photos...

Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Absolutely. On top of what you said, they are passionate and also patient with my questions and apprehensions.
I do look forward to their occasional foray into this thread.

Sury
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Don't know your circumstance for this image. I tend to take 2 cameras for vacations and or specific venues or shoots. It's the 24-105mm if i am walking around with a camera hanging from my neck. You are fortunate to have 42 megapixels at your disposal. I am stuck at 24.
Concert next week. Cameras not allowed. Looks like I am sneaking in the RX1. It fits in my overcoat pocket. We will see how cropping that 35mm lens works out. Think I am in row 6.
JT
sury

Unread post by sury »

JT,
As I am thinking about it, I should have taken 2 cameras on my trip. For the simple reasons: 1) I have them and 2) It would have served as a backup camera in case I was using only one and it died for any reason. (dropped, malfunction, stolen, lost etc).
I surmised my thoughts in a previous post. Any which way I look at it, it does not make sense to go with only ONE body when TWO or more are available (in my case a A900FF and A77m2 APSC). Especially when different kind of batteries and storage media are not required.

Sury
jbtaylor

Unread post by jbtaylor »

That a77ii is a remarkable camera. It has better auto focus than the a99. The Minolta way was to introduce new technology in the 7 and then have it show up in the 9. That method was continued by Sony. Plus, put the Tamron 150-600mm on the a77ii and you have great reach without cropping. For vacations, it's unit #2 (at least until I got the pesky RX100 V in my hands). Again, I will endorse the flexible LCD on the a77ii and the a99. Shooting from the hip is my new thing.
Thanks for playing along.
All the best.
JT
sury

Unread post by sury »

Are you saying in addition to my Tamron 200-400, Sony 70-400 I need to get 150-600? 8) :lol:
sury

Unread post by sury »

It was fun and enlightening for sure. Certainly shaped my strategy for the upcoming trip in July.
A cruise on Eastern Mediterranean and a short jaunt to Sicily. Perhaps A77m2 + 70-400 and A99m2 + Tamron 10-24 (GAS) should make decent choice. Of course, 24-70 is always in the bag.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Back in the film days, it was 3 or 4 cameras, since you had different film for different situations.

Now, ISO is not fixed until you change a spool, and no one knows what slides are anymore - they think they're something to do with powerpoint!

However, it's always quicker to change from one camera to another than it is to change lenses (Well, for me, as they are always both out, one on the shoulder, one on the neck).

There is also the fact that you then have a spare in case something goes wrong with one. A dead battery in my X700 deep in the Amazon jungle is what caused me to seek out an SRT to bring the next time - too bad we are now forever hooked to chargers and batteries - but that's another subject, do we carry less equipment now, since batteries are heavier than film, even if memory cards are lighter?

I always strive to have at least 2 bodies if I am doing anything more than shooting in the back yard.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury

Unread post by sury »

Dusty,
That is the conclusion I have arrived at, though should have been obvious all along.
Till JT raised the question, though about having right lens available at the needed time,
I completely missed the redundancy requirement especially when the camera bodies available.

Irony was that I used to use two bodies (experimenting of course) in the backyard shooting. :lol:
And I thought I was a smart cookie in the family. :oops:
Sury
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

After more than a half century as an aerospace engineer, redundancy is automatic for me.

The reduction in weight and space when traveling by air with two cameras is the reason I first started with a mirror-less camera, Then I discovered that I really liked some of the other benefits of the design, and it is now rare that I pull out a DSLR camera except at home.

- Tom -