Very Basic Question

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
mcddeb
Initiate

Very Basic Question

Unread post by mcddeb »

I have been working through Understanding Exposure book by Bryan Peterson(?). And I had just figured out if I really look in the view finder :? there is a scale telling me if my photo is over or under exposed in addition to shutter speed, aperture and exp. bracketing(?). I was thrilled to figure this out, then I attached the HVL-56 and things changed. Is the only way to check if the flash exposure is correct is to make test shots, what should I be studying to figure this out? I did a speed read through the flash chapters in Gary Friedman's book, but didn't see where this was explained. Also between the, I think it's an EV scale, and the bars showing camera shake the number 9 is showing, what does that mean? I have a light meter, do I have to use it to determine correct exposure? I am using the Sony 18-250 lens, if that makes a difference. I have been an "impatient user" for quite a long time and am now going back to basics and trying to get it all figured out and to grow as an A700 user as well as a photographer. I'll go back through the book again, but is there somewhere explaining the view finder information and the effect of attaching a flash in Gary's manual or do I need to dig out the camera manual to learn about that?

Any help is appreciated. Sometimes I need a big crayon. Thanks

Debra
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Very Basic Question

Unread post by Dusty »

Debra,

The camera can properly meter the light thru the lens as you're viewing, however when you attach the flash it has no idea as to your exposure until the flash fires, or pre-fires in the pre-TTL mode.

Reading thru the flash forum, it seems that several of the flash model sometimes need to be calibrated for proper exposure. I suggest a series of test shots at various distances, zoom settings and reflectivity of surfaces. That way you will be able to see for yourself how well the flash compares to your expectations.

Once you have it dialed in you'll be okay. With digital it's a lot cheaper than it ever was with film!
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

That figure in your viewfinder is the number of shots you can take a in a single continuous burst (buffer capacity) without slowing down.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David Kilpatrick wrote:That figure in your viewfinder is the number of shots you can take a in a single continuous burst (buffer capacity) without slowing down.

David
Of course referring to RAW shooting.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mcddeb
Initiate

Unread post by mcddeb »

Thank you, that answers my questions! Yep, I am jpeg to RAW convert, so it is indicating shots with RAW.

So it is a task of trial and error and figuring it out? I wanted to be sure since I have wasted so much time not slowing down to figure out the "gibberish" in the viewfinder was indeed my friend! :D

Thanks indeed,

Debra

P.S.
:oops: After playing a bit, I have discovered the reason the info in the viewfinder was going crazy on me. I was so out of range it was "screaming" at me I had my settings all wrong. Since I am just now getting acquainted with it's helpfulness I didn't realize I was the problem. I'm learning to shoot in the manual/aperture/shutter speed modes, so there is lots to figure out and I'm learning to trust the camera instead of blindly shooting and hoping for a good shot, I am embarrassed to say!

Great forum guys, you all are very helpful without being judgmental -- so far!