New Sony lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Re: New Sony lenses

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

These shots are much better, it does look like maybe the front looks smaller cause the squared off the body on the lens from the KM on. I think the KM one still looks nicer. But It does make me mad if they didn't try harder on this. Sony had been doing pretty good at fixing some of the filter size craziness that Minolta and KM had built up.

My biggest issue with the 28-75 is the 67mm thread. I wish it was just bumped up to 77mm and be done with it, or at least go down to 62. Also if it's not real SSM, why bother with tossing the screw drive.

It does make for the first FF tamron to be rebadged by Sony, kinda interesting. Time will tell if this is a short lived lens.

All the looks on these lenses are a bit better looking now. Of course the 55-200 is just re-done with motor. It's the 55-200 and 28-75 that make things look like plain motors. But at least if they are that, and not some micro pizo motor they won't be super un-reliable. I think the tamron motors have held up well. And in thinking about it a moment, maybe these lenses don't say SSM, because they are just motored lenses, not pizo/ring motors. Which would imply some preservation of the SSM name.

The look of these is ok. I think they could have used a switch more like the higher end lenses to be consistent. I also still want to know what is up with the front of the DT primes. Is that a built in hood? ick (unless they have something pentax style in mind), and I hope it's not 49mm threads.

The 18-55 looks pretty solid. Design wise it looks similar to the pentax. It looks like there is a chance that is a real focus ring, as there is a gap there. It might mechanically work very similar to the Pentax. If the 2 are similar, that is very good news too.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There's some talk on dPreview about the 28-75mm being soft wide open, but that is relative - actually it can be very sharp wide open, it just has limited depth of field:

http://www.pbase.com/davidkilpatrick/image/104056138

Open the Original size from the link - full A900 - this image is at f/2.8 and 35mm focal length, focus on the back of the sofa. This is, as usual for my full size sample, a zero sharpening raw conversion in ACR.

David
PhotoTraveler
Grand Caliph

Unread post by PhotoTraveler »

I think the 28-75 has been one of the most satisfying lenses I have owned. Maybe only the 100 macro make me happier.

But I will say, I think it has moods. Some days it hasn't done much for me, but sometimes, it just gets on a roll and nails it. It could just be I hit the right FL, aperture for the moment. But it's definitely worked for me.

My plan has been if I stay A mount, to get the 4/24-105 as my primary, and keep the 28-75 around when needed, since it might be smaller/lighter than a 4/24-105G, and it has a stop more speed. When I had it and the minolta 24-105, I was always torn, I liked having more range, but the 24-105 wasn't optically great, and the dust problems and rumbly build caused it to go.

This will be a good addition, it's just years too late. They should have had it while waiting for the ZA. And for this much waiting, I would have wanted to see some of the user aspects improved.

I also wonder if this opens the door to the 2.8/17-50 being imported.
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

Here can be the ring motor?

FramerDave
Acolyte

Unread post by FramerDave »

I think we are trying to read too much from these "teaser" mock up lenses. The guy is simply trying to tell us the future direction. Heavy emphasis on DT lenses and the G series DT lenses with SSM (read: high quality) will grow (roughly 2:1 compare to FF). A bone to throw to the FF fans: long teles are coming and they will be silver. Not a word about Zeiss=G is the word from now on.
I am surprised DK didn't lament one word about the lack of tilt and shift or did he?
Alpha100+18-200 collecting dust
Alpha900+VG CZ 24-70f2.8,Sony 70-200G2.8SSM 100f2.8 macro,135mmSTF 2XTC
HVL-F58AM HVL-F56AM Minolta 3600HS-D, AF50mm1.7 AF28-105xi3.5-4.5 Gitzo1541T Cullman Mag25 Ballhead in Tenba shootout backpak
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I have the KM28-75 and it's one of my "workhorses" (if I can say this as a hobbyist). It's not a loved lens, it's just too long at 28mm and too short with 75mm. It just doesn't have the magic of the older Minolta lenses. But for inside shots, it gets the job done. I don't hesitate to shoot it wide open if light is scarce. For APS-C, if it where a 24-75/2.8, it would be perfect. For the A900 it will be like a 18-50 on the A700, and that's a focal length that's quite popular, in the form of Sigma & Tamron 18-50/2.8.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'm very much interested in the macro 30/2.8 having a field of view equivalent of a 45mm on FF.
We all know that different length macros have differing use, and on APS-C 30mm would be quite important in my job.
And if the quality is fine enough, then I'm a buyer. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think I'd be uncomfortable buying a lens the front element of which is barely larger, if at all, than my sensor.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Well ... I have several lenses with front elements smaller than the sensor they're supposed to cast their light beams upon, and I don't feel uncomfortable with those at all. In fact, some of them belong to the finest lenses I own.

-- Olaf
kingfisher
Oligarch

Unread post by kingfisher »

hello everyone

iàm for sure that the new BIG-LENS at PMA is the 500MM F 4,5 SSM G-LENS
greetings
gustav
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

kingfisher wrote:hello everyone

iàm for sure that the new BIG-LENS at PMA is the 500MM F 4,5 SSM G-LENS
greetings
gustav
That would be awesome!!! We really need this for avian photography... keeping my fingers crossed..
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Sonolta wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote: ...
Finding those 50mm f1.7's a bit heavy eh?

You are as clueless as the come....NO, I am finding the 50 1.4 TOO EXPENSIVE FOR MANY APS-C USERS...Can you read?

50mm is a "normal" lens on FF, the only reason people buy the 1.7 is because it's cheap..

WRONGO....many/most buy it for it's LOW LIGHT ABILITY!

Don:
The 50mm f1.7 is a popular lens because is cheap. Period. Same situation with the beercan and other good old lenses that performs quite good on digital, specially on APS sized sensors. Minolta never updated the beercan, and they discontinued the 50mm f1.7 the day they (and everybody else) decided to sell chaepo zoom lenses as kit and not "normal" 50mm anymore.

In other hand, I totally agree with you (and with Sony...): there is a market for APS primes -But I'm not buying there because for me the only path to follow is FF.

Regards.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

PhotoTraveler wrote: But I will say, I think it has moods. Some days it hasn't done much for me, but sometimes, it just gets on a roll and nails it. It could just be I hit the right FL, aperture for the moment. But it's definitely worked for me.
The ghost in the machine?
:-p
I had been selecting photographs from the last 5 years of my work with joonbug.com and found that, depending on the moods, same combo camara-lens-flash gave me a wide range of results, from focus accuracy to color balance...

I plan to do "promotional material" with this photographs, and probably a webgallery, but I still have alot of work to do :-/

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I can understand the value in offering a line of light, affordable APS-C primes that might otherwise have been prohibitively expensive or bulky for the average user. However, other makes offer a 50/1.8 for around $100, and all of them cover full frame, as does Minolta's own 50/1.7 in the same price neighborhood. If Sony is attempting to replace the 50/1.7 in so many camera bags, they should make a more compelling reason to go for it other than that it is available "new." If it cost less than $100 with SSM or superior IQ, we'll talk.

The 30mm Macro is baffling. It might have some unique uses, but I doubt it was on anybody's wish-list before the show.

The new kit zoom could be a really good thing, hopefully it can resolve the more demanding sensors well enough to justify its shorter range. If the filter ring doesn't rotate, even better! A bottom-end lens update has been long overdue in Sony's line-up. I'm sure this lens with SSM as well as the 55-200 are to make usable future DSLRs with video capability, but that's already been suggested.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

KevinBarrett wrote: The 30mm Macro is baffling. It might have some unique uses, but I doubt it was on anybody's wish-list before the show.
When a market is saturated, manufacters' job is to create new demand: think about cell phones: even 10 years ago only 'important people" had them...
Regards
Pako
------------