New Sony lenses

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: New Sony lenses

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote:Nobody is against a kit lens refresh, not a bad idea as it happens. As he pointed out, Canon already sell their 50mm f1.8 FF for not a whole lot, I just doubt sony will match that price. For the puny bit of optical glass they will save, why bother? You might have a case for a longer tele lens..maybe, being DT (if the price reflects some savings), but not shorter focal length primes.

I can't wait to see the price of this new 50mm, it's will make or break it..I doubt it will be £65 though, very much. Same for the 30mm macro..shockingly low price might appeal, if not..well it's not something I have seen much demand for. I bet right now most folks would be more interested in a faster 35mm prime.

And the vasy majority of forum members have not welcomed the new lens line-up, seems Sony has their hand off the pulse of users.
I'm really against the whole idea of a kit lens. I want to be able to buy my camera with a fast prime appropriate for it's sensor size. Let the customer purchase a zoom afterward, he wants it. Not that I don;t make use of zooms, I do, but I much prefer to use primes when they suit my needs. It also enforces a bit of discipline on the shooter.

Add to that the fast that I can't get a new 50 1.7, only the $350 50/1.4, nor a 35 1.7 only the $1300!! 35 1.4 G lens from Sony, and I can't help but think that they're out of touch with us. I don't know many people who are willing to double or triple (depending on body) the kit cost just to get a normal focal length prime on their camera.

Dusty
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I also wonder what pulse they do have their hands on BF? APS-C needs a standard 35mm prime as you say, either an f2 or a f1.8 as an alternative to that expensive f1.4G monster, so what do Sony give us? a 30mm Macro...ke?...and the other prime, the 50mm APS-C is hard too fathom as well, why not just make it FF while your at it? surely wouldn't make it all THAT much bigger or more expensive, then it does BOTH formats in one hit....another...ke?...I'm afraid..with a Manuel (Fawlty Towers) totally vacant expression along with it.
Greg
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

pakodominguez wrote: When a market is saturated, manufacters' job is to create new demand: think about cell phones: even 10 years ago only 'important people" had them...
Regards
I will not discount that the 30mm Macro is a bold leap in that respect, however, I doubt if anybody would argue that Sony's lens line-up is saturated. There are too many other lenses that Alpha users have been crying out for to try to reinvent the market: meet the demand that's there, then create new demand.

I for one could be easily compelled to buy an APS-C prime in the 10-14mm range. If it were small enough, it could easily supplement a superzoom in anybody's travel kit, maybe even share filters!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
youpii
Heirophant

Unread post by youpii »

Dusty wrote: Add to that the fast that I can't get a new 50 1.7, only the $350 50/1.4, nor a 35 1.7 only the $1300!! 35 1.4 G lens from Sony, and I can't help but think that they're out of touch with us. I don't know many people who are willing to double or triple (depending on body) the kit cost just to get a normal focal length prime on their camera.
Dusty
I saw a 35/2 (old) for $540 yesterday. I almost bought it... :shock: :shock: :shock:
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

KevinBarrett wrote:I for one could be easily compelled to buy an APS-C prime in the 10 - 14 mm range. If it were small enough ...
Umm ... you mean something similar to this one?

-- Olaf
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Back to the comment from Dusty.

I won't disagree a prime as a kit would be ok by me, not sure about others. But a 50mm prime kit is a 75mm FOV, ok for people shots..and a few other areas, far from a useless focal length, just not as handy as a zoom, or dare I repeat the age old thing here:

35mm= Normal lens
50mm= Standard lens

That's on a FF camera. If they put a 50mm on as a kit, well..that should really be a 35mm shouldn't it??
Which is one point some have said..why not do a Nikon and a 35mm one??

But I won't complain if the prices are very good, for the 50mm or the 30mm..less useful or not, they have a use for sure. But the plastic mount invites a low price, I am just not sure Sony will poke the 50mm out for under £80, honestly I doubt it will sell under £100, it's possible it could be more than that. The only good thing is it should push the s/h price of the 1.7 down. Until I see prices, not sure what to think really. If it's £100+, no doubt it will be the subject of some mockery..Sony's idea of cheap, might not be ours!

So who can guess the prices of both 30mm and 50mm ones ;-)
alexramos7
Initiate

Unread post by alexramos7 »

What do you think??

I like it...

From MinoltaSpain
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If it is the Tamron, I think it's a big revision, which may also be a preview of new Tamron in-lens motor SSM/HSM etc type lenses generally.

David
KevinBarrett

In all fairness, I changed my vote on the APS-C Prime Poll from "No" to "Maybe," not because of the products Sony showed, but because there could be, theoretically, an APS-C prime that I would consider buying. No current or proposed APS-C Primes are particularly appealing to me yet, though.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Noone has so far suggested the obvious reason for the new lenses - Sony makes video cameras which accept Alpha mount. They also market G lenses to this sector. I'll bet they introduce SSMcompatible AF to a future HDVideo camcorder line which accepts A mount. The 30mm macro and 50mm f/1.8 would be incredible lenses on a camcorder - like a 200mm macro and a 350mm f/1.8 (or even longer depending on the formart). These lenses also look right for that job.

David
alexramos7
Initiate

David Kilpatrick wrote:Noone has so far suggested the obvious reason for the new lenses - Sony makes video cameras which accept Alpha mount. They also market G lenses to this sector. I'll bet they introduce SSMcompatible AF to a future HDVideo camcorder line which accepts A mount. The 30mm macro and 50mm f/1.8 would be incredible lenses on a camcorder - like a 200mm macro and a 350mm f/1.8 (or even longer depending on the formart). These lenses also look right for that job.

David
Is the drive-screw motor AF in the camera body compatible with contrast AF??

I think Sony wants change all its lenses line-up to SSM because Sony will announce LV and video with contrast AF...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Agreed - LV and video will come. I think the lenses are also styled and specified to fit a future Alpha mount HD videocam though. They have SSM and that would be needed, in a very fast, responsive form.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Okey dokey, granted there may be a EVF LV video/still combo camera hidden in the works somewhere, I wonder where that leaves us DSLR types in the future, on the cutting room floor perhaps, picking up the crumbs maybe, begging for handouts...oh wait...we do that already. The worry is that once the file intergration and frame stacking (to build a decent image) gets organized either in firmware or in the software on the computer (Photoshop and others), we still image people will probably be left to wither on the vine...then again, we may have already been getting in some practise I think, without realizing it.
Manuel
alexramos7
Initiate

The zoom Pro line-up is very good cover to future LV/Video and contrast AF:
-CZ 16-35SSM
-CZ 24-70SSM
-G 70-200SSM
-G 70-300SSM
-G 70-400SSM
-G 300SSM
-G "500SSM"

But, the entry level have not SSM lenses and if Sony launch the 18-50 and 55-200 with SSM (I hope don´t be micro-motor) will have yet to change:
-Macros lenses (50 and 100mm)
-Quality DT standar zoom (CZ16-80, 16-105)
-Superzoom (18-200 and 18-250)
-Prime lenses (16, 20, 28, 35, 50, 85 and 135)

I think that Sony must be putting SSM on prime wide angle lenses showed.
KevinBarrett

Can't help but notice the 'G "500SSM"'

It's speculation, I know, but it has a nice ring to it.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --