Photo storage in the field.

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Photo storage in the field.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Review and delete - that's what I do. I discard anything sub-par by sitting down after dinner and viewing the images on the camera. That way I do not take home thousands of poor images.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

braeside wrote:I'm running Linux on my EeePC. I will look at GIMP, it could be handy if it does A900 RAW or cRAW.
Well, a week of work has finally got UFRAW working with the Asus Eee PC 4G using the stock Xandros Linux. It will load A900 cRAW OK, so at a push I can check the photos on this. I also have GIMP which combined with UFFRAW / DCRaw can render the A900/A700 RAW/cRAW files.

DigiKam another program for the Asus will not work with the Sony RAW format and the latest version of F-SPOT won't compile on my system, the older distibution I tried did not handle Sony ARW. I also have RAWSTUDIO but it does not work properly, it produces only false colour image of Sony ARW files, something not right with it.

What I really would like for the Asus Eee and may have to build myself, is a program like File Juicer for the Macintosh - this can extract the embedded HDTV JPG in the Sony ARW files. This JPG is pretty large 1080 pixels high, so would be good enough for a slide show on the Asus Eee PC.
David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

braeside wrote:
braeside wrote:What I really would like for the Asus Eee and may have to build myself, is a program like File Juicer for the Macintosh - this can extract the embedded HDTV JPG in the Sony ARW files. This JPG is pretty large 1080 pixels high, so would be good enough for a slide show on the Asus Eee PC.
Sounds like a lot of work getting that stuff working, or not working, on Linux. By the way, Faststone (the program I mentioned earlier) uses the embedded HDTV jpeg in my A700 cRAW files -- although you can configure it to actually do a raw conversion, but the conversion takes a few seconds while the embedded jpeg is instant. You might check if Faststone will run under Wine on Linux.
braeside
Grand Caliph

I'll check out Faststone - thanks for that! - Have not tried Wine on the Asus yet.

Yeah - Linux - still for geeks in many respects, but it is compact and fast on such a small machine.
David
braeside
Grand Caliph

bakubo - many thanks - I just installed Wine and FastStone portable and it reads the embedded HDTV JPGs in my A900 cRAW files perfectly and more importantly fast! :D
David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

braeside wrote:bakubo - many thanks - I just installed Wine and FastStone portable and it reads the embedded HDTV JPGs in my A900 cRAW files perfectly and more importantly fast! :D
Great! Glad it works!
braeside
Grand Caliph

In addition it also renders A900 cRAW/RAW fine, though obviously a little slowly on this small Eee PC. :D

Suddenly the Eee PC is very useful for me as a viewer of my photos when I am away from home. I use a Mac and Aperture at home, but don't have a fast enough Mac Laptop for Aperture, so the Eee PC with Faststone is ideal.

I'm sure David K will be interested in this for his Eee. - If you need any help David just ask.
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Richard does my Eeepc installation - I know nothing about Unix. It is not a matter of being incapable, I've done stuff in the past from Basic to Omnis database building, I'm just not into command line vocabulary right now and it would take me six months to become savvy with Unix (or indeed Mac command line stuff, or current PC).

But I'll consider this installation, it sounds better than having Ufraw/GIMP as I do now.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

I'll do a simple write up for you and others David.
David
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

braeside wrote:
Suddenly the Eee PC is very useful for me as a viewer of my photos when I am away from home. I use a Mac and Aperture at home, but don't have a fast enough Mac Laptop for Aperture, so the Eee PC with Faststone is ideal.
A few months ago I purchased a Samsung NC10 to take on trips. It has XP and I have the Faststone viewer.
Really all I want is a simple viewer for a folder of files at full screen and in the past was using Irfanview for
Canon G9 images but can't use that with the A900 raw files. Maybe I should convert to DNG.

It was interesting that you can read the raw files on Linux, I need to look into that.

As for what kit to take on a trip, for me that is more to do with what you think you can get away with in
hand luggage (25cm!) more than anything else.

Harvey
braeside
Grand Caliph

Harvey get the latest FastStone ImageViewer for Windows (v3.7) it does handle the A900 RAW and cRAW files in Windows and under Windows emulation in Linux (WINE). It is ultrafast as it shows the embedded large JPGs within the RAW files. It will also open the RAW files themselves if you need to.

Not relevant to the above, but:
A note about using FastStone under WINE - The thumbnails don't all show, only the first 3 rows or so. However it will show all the files in list view, and you can go full screen and step through all of the images using arrow cursor keys no problem.
David
braeside
Grand Caliph

David and others:

There are various ways to install Wine and FastStone on the Asus Eee PC, it depends on whether you have enabled the "Advanced Mode" or are still running the default Easy Mode Tabbed Desktop.

If you are running in Easy Mode then here is how to go about it:

This method avoids any complicated command line stuff, changing repositories and much geekiness.

In Firefox go to http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to bottom of that page to the Debian Etch (4.0):

Click on Wine 1.1.1 i386 link and save the file to your computer when asked what to do in Firefox.

[The actual download URL is http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive ... 1_i386.deb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

Open File Manager and find the fie you just saved.
Right click on it and Install Deb file...
Enter your password
After a while it will install - it may say that it could not, but usually it has done so anyway. At this point restart the PC.

3. To check that wine is installed OK, press Ctrl Alt T and type wine and return and you should get:
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit

You can close the terminal window now.

OK - Wine is installed, now you need FastStone Viewer.

Firefox go to http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Download the "Portable" version

Save to computer and then open File Manager
Right Click on file FSViewer37.zip and extract All...

You should now have a folder FSViewer37 visible in the File manager.
In that folder doubleclick FSViewer.exe and when the dialog box opens, type in wine as the application to open with.

FSViewer should now start.

Congratulations!

As I mentioned earlier there are other ways to do this and it is also possible to add an Icon in the Easy Mode so that you don't have to go into the File Manager each time you want to start FSViewer, but for the sake of clarity I will leave that out.
David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Many thanks! I'll have a go at this, and pass the info on to Richard to see if it will decode his D3 files.

David
Alain
Initiate

Unread post by Alain »

bakubo wrote:
braeside wrote:I was planning to just shoot cRAW, the only problem being that I cannot view them on the Asus, but to be honest it would be painful on the small screen, not to mention slow.
I don't know about the A900 cRAW files, but the free Faststone program works fine on my Asus EeePC 900HA (WinXP) to view my A700 cRAW files.
I tried faststone 3.7 to view my A700 RAW files and it didn't do it, have you tried with A700 RAW files instead of cRAW?
braeside
Grand Caliph

I don't have an A700 here and did not shoot RAW (only cRAW + JPG).

I just checked with the A900 RAW and that works fine. Check with Bakubo, he uses the A700.

What exactly happens when you select an A700 RAW file? - Do you get the thumbnails OK?

Have you tried cRAW and does that work?

Are you using Linux with Wine or Windows XP?
David