7D and HVL-F56AM

Cabled, wireless, studio - anything do with using flash
jjudge
Acolyte

7D and HVL-F56AM

Unread post by jjudge »

I recently bought a HVL-F56AM flash for my 7D. It works fine wirelessly but I can't get it to work on the hot shoe no matter what settings I use in the camera or on the flash. The camera just doesn't seem to acknowledge the flash. Any suggestions?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: 7D and HVL-F56AM

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Turn Wireless mode off on the camera menus (it will automatically turn it off on the flash when you fit it after doing so). This is the most likely reason for the flash not working.

David
jjudge
Acolyte

Unread post by jjudge »

Sorry I guess that I wasn't clear. I can set the camera to Fill-flash or Red eye or Rear sync and Flash Control to ADI or Pre-flash TTL and the flash won't fire in any setting. It will only fire when both the camera and the flash are in the wireless mode. Any suggestions?
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Is it pushed all the way on? I'm thinking maybe something is making it stop from going all the way in and clicking into place ?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It would not set the wireless function correctly if it was not pushing home. I have tried to replicate the problem with my 5600 HS (D) - identical in functions - and can't, so I assume something is wrong. One last thing - have you made sure the camera is set to P, A, S or M? In the Green Auto mode, and any of the other modes, the flash will only fire if the exposure requires it. In any normal daylight room interior, chances are it will simply not fire because the auto-fire tells it that it is not needed. This definitely happens if you have the camera set to the Green Auto setting, and the flash mounted on the camera.

David
jjudge
Acolyte

Unread post by jjudge »

Thanks David. I never shoot in Green Mode. I had tried P, A, S and M but to no avail. Just last night the flash started to work so I think that I have an intermittent in either the flash or the camera. So now I get to figure out which one....