New Alpha bodies. Hit or Miss??

Create polls and watch the responses
Forum rules
Think hard before creating a poll. Admin may delete frivolous or repetitive polls!

A230/330/380 The good and bad, hit or miss??

They look good for their intended market, Sony will sell a ton of them
9%
Nice idea, but the prices are too high at the moment
16%
Changing the battery was a mistake
5%
Too many features taken out, no thanks
11%
Small SLR's are a winner
7%
Controls too cut down/simplified
5%
They are simply re-packaged older cameras
9%
I hope we get an A500 soon, not for me
15%
Putting in lens motors in the new lenses is a good idea
9%
SD/MS media is a smart move for these models
13%

Total votes: 55

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

New Alpha bodies. Hit or Miss??

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Someone has to do this poll! ;-)
I put 4 options to vote, allowing for more specific feedback on different ideas (good and bad etc)

Enjoy!
bossel
Viceroy

Re: New Alpha bodies. Hit or Miss??

Unread post by bossel »

Nice poll, but you should have allowed up to 10 responses 8) I wonder about the A500, that some seem to prefer!

We have to see these cameras in their target marget. Apart from prices too high, they might exactly match the needs of those upgrading from P&S (not of those already experienced with DSLR).
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

I have probably not been paying attention but is there a link to these "new" alphas somewhere :?:
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Closer than you think :)

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Barry,

I think Sony missed you (and the segment of the market looking for a "5-like" camera) with this litter, but "you" are not prioritaire into the Alpha expansion. with this move Sony is looking for a new public, not for the old Minolta user that doesn't need new lenses. We will have to wait (photokina? Photo Plus Expo?) for what we expeect.

Actually, other than an afordable FF camera, I would like an even smaller camera, APS sensor, that accept A-mount lenses -this cameras are still too big for a small bag...

regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Relax it's just a poll!

Only the sales of the new cameras can show how well the idea has gone down, this is just to see what A mount users think
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I think buyers are willing to learn how to use a camera with more buttons if the salesman reminds them that model "X" has video. The only way these new cameras can compete against those would be if they were significantly lower in cost. As it is, the basic a380 kit will cost exactly as much as Nikon's D5000 with 18-55 VR kit lens.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bfitzgerald wrote:Relax it's just a poll!

Only the sales of the new cameras can show how well the idea has gone down, this is just to see what A mount users think
I'm relaxed. I'm just saying this here because it was realated. I had been reading your post and criticism about this new models and I understand you (and people in your target) are disapointed about the lac of, how we can call it... "advanced amateur" model?
But I can tell you how relaxed I'm; it's almost 10AM and I'm still home -my boss is probably stress now!
;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

I had a few emails about my "complaints" and some interesting theories!

One person suggested I was moaning as much as possible, in order to get an A900 for free (with of course a nice selection of CZ optics), the plan is you see that sony just get sick of my negative remarks, and sign me up to a "no internet forum presence" in exchange for the said gear. The thinking being, that the loss of sales from my moaning posts, cost sony more than an A900 and a few lenses.

My response was..

"I wish" ;-)
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

There using you as a sounding board for what not to do :)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bfitzgerald wrote:I had a few emails about my "complaints" and some interesting theories!

One person suggested I was moaning as much as possible, in order to get an A900 for free (with of course a nice selection of CZ optics), the plan is you see that sony just get sick of my negative remarks, and sign me up to a "no internet forum presence" in exchange for the said gear. The thinking being, that the loss of sales from my moaning posts, cost sony more than an A900 and a few lenses.

My response was..

"I wish" ;-)
tht's silly, even Sony know you won't stop giving critisism, and in that case, about the A900!!!
;-)

talking seriously, I hope somebody @ Sony is listening us, our expectations and remarcks.
Pako
------------
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

An interesting poll Barry. I think an additional option in the poll should have been "They will lose sales in this market as there is no HD video". Whether the A500 market want video or not, I think first time dslr purchasers will be pursuaded that this additional feature makes other manufacturers a preference.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.