A700 v/s A900 - Blue tint

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

A700 v/s A900 - Blue tint

Unread post by sury »

Using the same lens (Vivitar Ser 1 35-85) and same aperture, I took these two shots
using A700 and A900 respectively. Could some one explain why I am getting the bluish
tint on A700 please?

With best regards,
Sury

A700 with built in flash

A900 with HVL20
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Dr. Harout

Re: A700 v/s A900 - Blue tint

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

You have to take the shots with equal angle of view, i.e. to have the same subjects in the frame and try with same flash (not onboard flash of A700).
In the A700 case you're much closer to the subject.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

different exposures, different metering, it seems.

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

Must say, though, that if my A700 is suffering from any tint with flash shots, its yellow/orange.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Look at the density of the shadows - the A700 pix is flash only, the A900 is flash plus ambient light, there's much more light in the shadows indicating a different balance of flash to ambient.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Look at the density of the shadows - the A700 pix is flash only, the A900 is flash plus ambient light, there's much more light in the shadows indicating a different balance of flash to ambient.

David
Yep, the second pic (A900's one) is overexposed by the flash and have enviromental lightin invading the scene.
Falshes are supposed to be daylight whit balanced (or almost) but doesn't mean that two units from the same model/bunch will have the same K values. Same happens with camera adjustment: I bet you that we can take the same pic with the very same setings with your an my A700 and the result won't be exactly the same...

Try shooting manual with the same settings and with the HVL20 in both cameras, you will have a more "fair" approach that way.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sury

Unread post by sury »

I want to thank you all for your replies. I was not trying to achieve any equality with both the cameras.
David,
As for ambient light being added, these shots were taken within minutes apart inside the house. So the ambient light is almost identical since it was dark outside and only ambient light was incandescent lights inside the living room, the framing of the flower being different.
Dr. Harout,
One thing though is that I stood approximately at the same location which is explained by the 1.5crop factor on A700. I was expecting some what similar exposure but not that dramatically different. After reading the replies

Pako,
Both the shots were taken in manual mode since Vivitar was MD lens and the aperture was set to identical value.

I went back to exif and found only difference is A900 was set at 1/125s and A700 was set at 1/200s. Would that explain the difference?

With best regards,
Sury
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

As David said, different exposure, flash/ambient balance. Slower shutter speed = more ambient light got into the mix as compared to the camera with the faster shutter speed...that's probably a big part of the difference between them.
Did you check if the ISO value was the same in both, and colour settings the same in both as well? those would have to also be the same for comparison purposes.
Greg

ps I see the blue edges on the old flower in the bottom right of the A900 shot, which leads me too think that the actual colour of the edges is really blue-ish anyway.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Greg Beetham wrote:As David said, different exposure, flash/ambient balance. Slower shutter speed = more ambient light got into the mix as compared to the camera with the faster shutter speed...that's probably a big part of the difference between them.
Did you check if the ISO value was the same in both, and colour settings the same in both as well? those would have to also be the same for comparison purposes.
Greg

ps I see the blue edges on the old flower in the bottom right of the A900 shot, which leads me too think that the actual colour of the edges is really blue-ish anyway.

Greg,
The iso is same (200) on both the cameras.
A700: The contrast, saturation and sharpness are high, high and normal respectively.
A900: The contrast, saturation and sharpness are normal, high and hard respectively.

With best regards,
SUry
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The shutter speed being almost a stop apart plus the contrast difference could explain it easily enough - combined with some other minor variation in light and conditions.\

David
sury

Unread post by sury »

David, et. al.,
Thank you for your insight and comments. I did not think a stop difference between 1/125 and 1/200 would make such
a difference given a typical flash light intensity. It was under the influence of such assumption that prompted me to ask the question. Now I know better and more importantly, from the comments from all I have learned to read the image differently and obviously better than before.

With best regards,
Sury
Yagil Henkin
Heirophant

Unread post by Yagil Henkin »

Sury,
I believe that the flash metering is quite different because the area metered is very different. the distance is the same, but the camera sees through the lens - thus the different coverage may well lead to different exposure.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yagil wrote:Sury,
I believe that the flash metering is quite different because the area metered is very different. the distance is the same, but the camera sees through the lens - thus the different coverage may well lead to different exposure.
Yagil,
Good point. Thank you. I have now so many plausible explanations that I feel good about the situation in the sense
that I now know what factors are probably causing the situation and therefore, could take some or all of
the suggested actions to address the issue if I see it as an issue.

with best regards,
Sury