Looking to buy a scanner

Minolta scanners, scanner support and replacement choices
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Looking to buy a scanner

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have just been able to keep the Scan Multi Pro running OK, but the old Dual with APS adaptor had to be transferred to a PC system. It simply won't work for scanning a roll of APS film, which is the only reason I kept it round. The PC memory gets messed up and the process hangs somewhere in the early hours of the morning.

David
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

I have been using a Nikon Coolscan 5000 for about the last 3.5 years, having had problems with my Minolta Scan Dual (I think that's what it was called, although I found some new names for it... :evil: ) just after Minolta sold out to Sony. It has performed flawlessly with a wide variety of slides and negatives. Last year an acquaintance asked if I knew anyone who could scan a couple of hundred Kodachrome slides that his father had taken in the late 1950's that he'd found in the loft (some were in a real state). Most scanned perfectly on the 5000 and there were some really interesting shots amongst them - colour slides of steam trains leaving Penzance station etc. He said that I was welcome to use them as I pleased having transferred all of the slides to CD for him. But as I don't use slide or negative film anymore the scanner now just sits there.

Philip
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Philip wrote:I have been using a Nikon Coolscan 5000 for about the last 3.5 years,....... But as I don't use slide or negative film anymore the scanner now just sits there.
Philip
E-bay Time! Or put it up in the private sale section.

Or, if you're feeling real generous, you can always donate to me! :mrgreen:

Dusty
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

A very magnanimous offer Dusty :D. The trouble is, I just know that if I get rid of it someone else will come along asking for scans of old slides or negatives………….

Philip
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Philip wrote:A very magnanimous offer Dusty :D. The trouble is, I just know that if I get rid of it someone else will come along asking for scans of old slides or negatives………….

Philip
I guess that now I'll actually have to try out the scanner I bought on e-bay several months ago. My Mother-In-Law just passed away, and my wife came back with scads of photos (mostly of poor quality) and some old 127 negatives. Of course everyone wants copies. She told that her Grandfather had an entire trunk of old photos and negatives that her Uncle now has. I'd like to get my hand on that for a month!

Dusty
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Dusty wrote: I guess that now I'll actually have to try out the scanner I bought on e-bay several months ago.
Dusty
We don't know what you bought! :)
I currently own 2 scanners, a Minolta Scan Multi IV and an Epson 3200. Out of the 2 I prefer the Epson. I've also tried the Epson 4870, Epson 4990 and Epson V700.
I like them all and would buy any one of them because I sometimes need a flatbed scanner as well as a film scanner. Digital ICE is definitely useful but as Bakubo points out, you'll have to do a lot of post processing on all your scans. Apart from the actual scanning time, allow up to 1 hour per scan for cleanup.
The majority of these were scanned using the Epson. Enjoy.
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I bought a 4490, but it didn't have negative holders, and I can't find originals. Aftermarket ones want as much as I paid for the scanner!

I have to start a new thread about scanner settings.

Dusty