LR 3.0 Beta ...

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
InTheSky
Viceroy

LR 3.0 Beta ...

Unread post by InTheSky »

I just download the LR 3.0 a few minutes ago, open somes RAW at ISO3200 just for a quick look. The image looks like the Bibble style, adding kind of fine pixels filter on it (I know , for now, nothing about digital processing technics). But, first look, it's looks like a very huge improvement, but probably I'm wrong and I'm missing some thing.

Is it adobe scaring to start loosing people fore the super working flow experience to get better raw transformation that make them doing this big huge change.

Hope David will investigate this new technique Adobe is using for RAW NR extraction.

I was to buy a MAC to use Aperture instead of LR, but probably I should wait a little bit.

Plenty of low light ISO 3200 up to 5000 pics are on my PC, I will try some test and comes back when I will find time.

Hope to see some works on your side too :-).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
InTheSky
Viceroy

Re: LR 3.0 Beta ...

Here are some picture from the A900 :

http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/lr25_vs_lr30beta
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

For now, slow than 2.5, but this is a beta.

The result just from a raw without any PP looks better :

ISO 800 LR 2.5 (100p) ISO 800 LR 3.0 Beta (100p)
ImageImage

(look at the shade on the left)

ISO 640 LR 2.5 (100p) ISO 640 LR 3.0 Beta (100p)
ImageImage
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

Last one, at ISO 3200 (left LR 2.5, right LR 3.0 Beta)

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

It seams that the blotchy pattern at ISO3200 is less pronounce... And give a feeling of a little bit more detail...
Frank
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Michael Reichmann says on Luminous Landscape that Adobe is afraid of losing customers to Capture One, DxO, and other raw converter manufacturers due to their higher raw conversion quality. As a matter of fact, it has started to become popular among Lightroom users to do the actual raw conversion in, say, Capture One Phase One. Reichmann himself has described and endorsed this hybrid workflow earlier this year. Lately, Camera Raw (and thus, Lightroom too) has earned the reputation of being a good raw converter but not an excellent one, especially for high-ISO images.

So Adobe now has put a lot of effort into overhauling Lightroom's (and upcoming Camera Raw's) raw converting engine in order to catch up with the competition. Frank's samples seem to indicate they did pretty well; there clearly is an improvement. Maybe someone who is familiar with Capture One Phase One, DxO Optics Pro, or Bibble can say if Lightroom now really is as good as (or even better than) those.

-- Olaf
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

01af wrote: So Adobe now has put a lot of effort into overhauling Lightroom's (and upcoming Camera Raw's) raw converting engine in order to catch up with the competition. Frank's samples seem to indicate they did pretty well; there clearly is an improvement. Maybe someone who is familiar with Capture One Phase One, DxO Optics Pro, or Bibble can say if Lightroom now really is as good as (or even better than) those.
-- Olaf
It might be too late if these are major updates and people have the expense of upgrades to LR or CSx to get the new camera raw.

Harvey
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I have done some tests but it is SO slow I can not put up with it even just for viewing the images! The conversion now resembles DxO or C1 Pro very closely, it's not as fine as some of the little independent ones (Raw Photo Processor, Raw Therapee etc) but has better colour and tones.

It makes a big difference to things like older Dimage A2 files. I have just doubled the starting price on my A2 on eBay. I wanted to end the auction but of course I could not find any method to end it (eBay makes that difficult to locate) so just in case anyone bid on it, I bumped the price up to £150. Reason: I looked at the camera again. Alamy are wrong. It's better than many DSLRs. And I just discovered it works perfectly with the HVL-F20AM and does wireless control with the HVL-F58AM - when I got it back in 2004, I only had one wireless flashgun and it didn't work with the A2, it was a 5400xi.

I started taking a good look at the specs and operation of the A2 and realised it's light years ahead of the current Sony Alphas! LR3 brings the image quality up to them as well.

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

David Kilpatrick wrote:I have done some tests but it is SO slow I can not put up with it even just for viewing the images! The conversion now resembles DxO or C1 Pro very closely, it's not as fine as some of the little independent ones (Raw Photo Processor, Raw Therapee etc) but has better colour and tones.

It makes a big difference to things like older Dimage A2 files. I have just doubled the starting price on my A2 on eBay. I wanted to end the auction but of course I could not find any method to end it (eBay makes that difficult to locate) so just in case anyone bid on it, I bumped the price up to £150. Reason: I looked at the camera again. Alamy are wrong. It's better than many DSLRs. And I just discovered it works perfectly with the HVL-F20AM and does wireless control with the HVL-F58AM - when I got it back in 2004, I only had one wireless flashgun and it didn't work with the A2, it was a 5400xi.

I started taking a good look at the specs and operation of the A2 and realised it's light years ahead of the current Sony Alphas! LR3 brings the image quality up to them as well.

David
For Ebay, it is not easy, and you have to go through the user help, and you will find a link where you have to place manually the Item number, and after commit to stop the auction. When there is bid on the item, you can only end the auction 12h (as I can remember) before the auction end. In the past I was placing all my item without description to be sure they finished on the same around of time and found a lot of time people bidding on my item without description :) (only with the title).

For the A2, this is I think element of the past now for this competition of Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and Minolta to bring the perfect small and non DSLR camera with <semi-Professional 2/3" CCD> result. I remember all the article everywhere in magazine with title sounds like 8 megapixels wars ... But the funny things about that, I think every models at this time was using the Sony 2/3 " CCD sensor...

It is only the company who has not DSLR platform that continues after that to make similar system : Fuji and Panasonic smaller 2/3" design, and Sony R1 at the end with the almost APS-C cmos size sensor.

regards,

Frank
Frank