Sold some prints but want to use LR to prepare them

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Sold some prints but want to use LR to prepare them

Unread post by Javelin »

So I've sold a bunch of prints based on prints I did at home that I used ADCsee and my inkjet to print. I want these ones to be printed at a lab on better paper, but I'm using LR now and have the photos prepared and sized to 8 x 10. When you order bordered prints is the border additional to the picture area or what? The frames are going to be bigger with mats .

The photos like I said are set to 8x10 the lab wants JPGs it just seems in LR when I export the photos the colour gets wacked somehow making JPGs?

Also the lap provides ICC profiles for their paper.. should I somehow make LR aware of these and readjust the colour to correct them? Also which paper finish is best for use in sealed frames?

I've used this lab before and gotten excellent results . maybe a little darker than on my monitor but still mostly better than my home printer. These are sold though so of course I want them perfect.

This started because I did a bunch for free and gave them digital copies. but the subject died and I was asked and make them prints from ones I had they hadn't seen before and it kind of progressed from there with a family member insisting I get paid an amount above my costs for the job but I don't think it's right to print them myself because I don't think they will last.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sold some prints but want to use LR to prepare them

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Make a file including the border rebate if a matt is to go on top. Actually, if you use Epson K3 inks or Ultrachrome on an inkjet the life of the result is probably better than a lab C-type, but that depends on the paper base not going yellow (the inks will last for 200 years).

For lab prints, adjust on your monitor then using levels shift the centre point to 1.2 (gamma). This will cure the darker printing problem.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

ok Got it. put the border in the file. what about paper finish? I usually get glossy. is there any drawback to this? and should I use their printer profiles? seems to me those only get used when your actually printing but I don;t know if it changes anything in the preperation if the profile is loaded.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I would use lustre for a framed print. sRGB - whether profile embedded or not does not matter - is the lab standard.
David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

thanks David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Javelin wrote:So I've sold a bunch of prints based on prints I did at home that I used ADCsee and my inkjet to print. I want these ones to be printed at a lab on better paper, but I'm using LR now and have the photos prepared and sized to 8 x 10. When you order bordered prints is the border additional to the picture area or what? The frames are going to be bigger with mats .
Congrats!
borders depends on your lab. Here the border is set for 1/8 inch (about 6 mm) If you want a mat like border, you better do it yourself, withing the canavas area.
Javelin wrote: The photos like I said are set to 8x10 the lab wants JPGs it just seems in LR when I export the photos the colour gets wacked somehow making JPGs?.
no reason if you export at the maximum quality.
Javelin wrote: Also the lap provides ICC profiles for their paper.. should I somehow make LR aware of these and readjust the colour to correct them? Also which paper finish is best for use in sealed frames?
For soft proofing and use of ICC profiles, read this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=27922167
LR doesn't offer soft proofing (I haven't try the new Beta version yet...), but you can export using custom printer profiles (your lab provide their ICC profiles?) but plain sRGB will work.

The paper finish depends on the subject of your photograph -and the finish of the glass on the frame! As DK said, Luster works for almost everything. I do prefer glossy or Endura metallic paper for landscapes or travel photography and mate or luster for portraits. Fuji have this lovelly Pearl paper, that is thier version of the Kodak Metallic -some how better because the Endura metallic risk to blow up your hi tones.
Javelin wrote: I've used this lab before and gotten excellent results . maybe a little darker than on my monitor but still mostly better than my home printer. These are sold though so of course I want them perfect.

This started because I did a bunch for free and gave them digital copies. but the subject died and I was asked and make them prints from ones I had they hadn't seen before and it kind of progressed from there with a family member insisting I get paid an amount above my costs for the job but I don't think it's right to print them myself because I don't think they will last.
good inks and acid free paper can get you inkjet prints that supposed to last more than 100 years (in good conservation situation, not exposed to the light during those 100 years...) and color management is as good and easy/hard than C-prints.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

thanks for the nice explanation Pako. i'll try sRGB first and see what happens