DxO 6 installed, won't run

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
bakubo
Tower of Babel

DxO 6 installed, won't run

Unread post by bakubo »

I got an email today from DxO inviting me to download their new DxO 6 and try it out. I downloaded the file, about 106mb. I am on Vista. Before installing I did as I usually do and rebooted. No other applications running. Installed smoothly and without error. When I try to run DxO the mouse cursor changes to a spinning circle, as it normally does, for 3-4 seconds and then changes back to an arrow. That's it. DxO never starts. I tried to start it several times. I then rebooted and tried again. Nothing. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. Again smoothly and without error. Still won't start. Any ideas?
roysmith
Heirophant

Re: DxO 6 installed, won't run

Unread post by roysmith »

You could try removing (or renaming just in case) the DxO user folders:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DxO_Labs
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\DxO Labs
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\DxO_Labs

Remember to replace "USERNAME" with your windows user.
As far as I know those folders are not deleted when uninstalling.

Good luck!
dennismullen
Acolyte

Unread post by dennismullen »

bakubo wrote:I got an email today from DxO inviting me to download their new DxO 6 and try it out. I downloaded the file, about 106mb. I am on Vista. Before installing I did as I usually do and rebooted. No other applications running. Installed smoothly and without error. When I try to run DxO the mouse cursor changes to a spinning circle, as it normally does, for 3-4 seconds and then changes back to an arrow. That's it. DxO never starts. I tried to start it several times. I then rebooted and tried again. Nothing. I then uninstalled and reinstalled. Again smoothly and without error. Still won't start. Any ideas?
This is a long shot but is it possible you are not giving it enough time? DxO is a big program and it can take a long time to show sometimes after starting. Did you do the right click open as administrator trick when installing and opening?

Cheers,
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

dennismullen wrote:This is a long shot but is it possible you are not giving it enough time? DxO is a big program and it can take a long time to show sometimes after starting.
Well, it has been about 20 hours so far. I hope that is long enough for a program to start up. :) If it takes more than 20 hours to start up then I am pretty sure I am not going to be interested in this program anyway. If it finally starts up in the next few hours I will come back and let everyone know.
dennismullen wrote:Did you do the right click open as administrator trick when installing and opening?
No, I haven't done that. I installed as an admin user and tried to run it as the same user.

I sent an email to DxO support yesterday and they replied last night saying this was a known problem that has been reported before by some users, but they can't reproduce it. They sent me a long list of things to do to get diagnostic info to help them track down the bug. I am (or was) a software developer for a long time so I know how hard it is to diagnose and fix a bug that you can't reproduce. It would require quite a bit of work on my part to help them out and I don't even have the incentive of owning the product and needing it to work for me. I had just downloaded the trial version to give it a spin. I replied and told them I would do it if they would give me a free copy of DxO 6.* after they fix the bug. I haven't heard back from them yet.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I got another response from DxO -- they ignored my offer. :) They said I should turn off DEP for DxO. Hmm, isn't DEP supposed to protect Vista from malware? Why should I need to turn it off to get DxO to run?
roysmith
Heirophant

In a workstation Data Execution Prevention should only be activated for windows programs & services, many software (specially anti-piracy soft) have issues with it. The best way to protect your computer from malware is to choose a good antivirus program and keep it updated ;)
Did you try renaming those folders I mentioned?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

roysmith wrote:In a workstation Data Execution Prevention should only be activated for windows programs & services, many software (specially anti-piracy soft) have issues with it. The best way to protect your computer from malware is to choose a good antivirus program and keep it updated ;)
It seems the default with Vista is for DEP to be on for everything. My other programs are fine with it. I am not sure why an app like DxO would need to do something that normally just malware does. Yes, I have good av, etc. I also don't like disabling av to run an app so I don't. It just seems strange to me if an app requires me to allow it to do malware-like things when every other app I have doesn't. Maybe I am just not informed enough about this though. Do other people have no problem allowing an app to bypass the malware protections on their system?
roysmith wrote: Did you try renaming those folders I mentioned?
I haven't tried that, but maybe after I get back from Egypt at the end of December I will try it. DxO just said to disable DEP to "fix" the problem. Seems like DxO is what needs fixing though. :)
dennismullen
Acolyte

Unread post by dennismullen »

Sorry you're having problems. It ran fine on vista for me, and still does after upgrading to Windows 7.

Good luck,
roysmith
Heirophant

bakubo wrote: It seems the default with Vista is for DEP to be on for everything. My other programs are fine with it. I am not sure why an app like DxO would need to do something that normally just malware does. Yes, I have good av, etc. I also don't like disabling av to run an app so I don't. It just seems strange to me if an app requires me to allow it to do malware-like things when every other app I have doesn't. Maybe I am just not informed enough about this though. Do other people have no problem allowing an app to bypass the malware protections on their system?
Actually the default setting for DEP in every workstation Windows OS is to only check Windows programs and services. It's the same default setting in XP, Vista and 7; from Starter to Ultimate versions. You can check this out here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions

My guess is the problem is not exactly DxO's, but the software protecion services they're using. I agree that it should be fixed to work with DEP but the real fact is that too many apps won't work with DEP yet, that's why it is disabled by default for all programs and only checks internal windows programs. If you haven't got any other compatibility problem with DEP so far the only thing I can say is that you're very lucky :)
And BTW I'm using all my computers without DEP and haven't got a virus, worm, troyan nor any kind of malware in the last 10+ years, so I guess it's not really that dangerous to disable it ;)

And I'm not trying to defend DxO, there's a compatibility problem and they should fix it, no doubt about that. I just think it's a shame you can't use the program because it's great, way better than ACR/LR for my taste because of all the creative settings it has (I still prefer the high ISO NR from LR3b though).

Hope you can solve it, good luck!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

roysmith wrote: Actually the default setting for DEP in every workstation Windows OS is to only check Windows programs and services. It's the same default setting in XP, Vista and 7; from Starter to Ultimate versions. You can check this out here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions
Yes, that is the default for mine. DxO has asked me to select the other option though to turn it on for everything except DxO.

The thing is that in all my years of writing software I have never need to do anything like put code in the data segment and then execute it. Apparently, my PS CS2, PSE 6, PSP X, PWP 3.5, Quicken, Firefox, Chrome, FastStone, Syncback, Acrobat, PTLens, Neat Image, etc. which I also use a lot don't need to do it either. The fact that only DxO6 needs me to turn DEP off for it is very disturbing. Also, rather than seem like they want to fix it they just want me to turn off DEP.
roysmith wrote: Hope you can solve it, good luck!
I leave for Egypt tomorrow so it will have to wait until I get back. I would like to give DxO 6 a try. They have a pretty good discount on it until the end of the year. If I get back and still have problems or don't have enough time to really look at it before 12/31 then they lost a sale.
roysmith
Heirophant

bakubo wrote:Yes, that is the default for mine. DxO has asked me to select the other option though to turn it on for everything except DxO.

The thing is that in all my years of writing software I have never need to do anything like put code in the data segment and then execute it. Apparently, my PS CS2, PSE 6, PSP X, PWP 3.5, Quicken, Firefox, Chrome, FastStone, Syncback, Acrobat, PTLens, Neat Image, etc. which I also use a lot don't need to do it either. The fact that only DxO6 needs me to turn DEP off for it is very disturbing. Also, rather than seem like they want to fix it they just want me to turn off DEP.
If I understand correctly, DxO Support asked you to turn DEP ON "for all programs and services" and then exclude DxO? That doesn't make any sense, since having DEP ON "for essential Windows programs and services only" doesn't check any external app (that should be the reason you haven't got any problem with any other app btw). My guess is that the problem will be fixed when renaming those folders I sent you, no need to change DEP if you haven't changed the default setting. I had the same problem in my laptop and after removing those folders everything went back to normal.

Have a nice trip to Egypt!