Remote control with OS X 10.6 ?

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
Magnusvb
Acolyte

Remote control with OS X 10.6 ?

Unread post by Magnusvb »

How do you do tethered shooting under Mac OS X 10.6 now when Sony Remote Camera control does not work as before?

I'm using Aperture, which have built-in tethered support for some cameras – not Sony. So far I can still get the images to the computer using Remote Camera Control. But the settings can not be changed – and it crashing a lot.

Is there a third-party solution? Will Sony ever update their software? (Are there green men on Mars? :wink: )

Regards Magnus
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Remote control with OS X 10.6 ?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Waiting and hoping, I fear. Maybe C1 Pro will beat Aperture to have a Sony tethered solution - or maybe neither will bother.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I'm trying to work out how you could change some settings anyway - for example, you could not shift from A to P, it's a physical dial operation.

I have just used Remote on the Mac with Snow Leopard and it works well enough one-way; first, I went to the program, did CMD-I and checked the box 'Open Under Rosetta' (I have Rosetta installed and active to be able to use older applications). Then I set the A900 up, connected, and launched remote.

Although it is not possible to control the camera from the Mac, it is possible to shoot and save to the computer with all the controls working as normal on the camera. For a studio session, you can use the camera with its USB connection (not the ideal link) and the Remote app will display correctly all changes you make on the camera - it just can't transmit changes itself, or trigger AF/exposures from the Mac.

I managed the wake the camera up using Canon's Image Capture app, and also Apple Aperture, though neither can make any use of the connection. Capture One doesn't see the camera, which the other two non-Sony apps manage OK. Connecting and switching on the camera correctly launches the Sony program.

David
Magnusvb
Acolyte

Unread post by Magnusvb »

Yes, I will try to change from A to S (or M).

Aperture sees the camera (A700), but I can't "take" a picture from the computer – AND the camera is locked with the message "Setting up PC connection..." (or something).

Sony Remote works "one-way" as you describe it – but it is to prone to crash for me to like ;)

I also did a test with a Automator script attached to the same folder I save the image in – and did a auto import into Aperture. Works – but a big minus is that if I want to filter out the last import session (handy!) it is just one, single image.

Regards, Magnus