Nex camera able to be full frame in the future ?

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
InTheSky
Viceroy

Nex camera able to be full frame in the future ?

Unread post by InTheSky »

I don't know if I'm wrong, and probably yes ... but when I look at the picture of the Nex camera with the size of the ring and the sensor, It looks almost identical to the difference between the ASP C and the Full frame on the actual a mount.

I don't know where they are targeting to put the contact sensor, but, It looks like a possibility.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Nex camera able to be full frame in the future ?

Unread post by pakodominguez »

It will be lovely. Actually, if as rumors said, it will have in lens stabilization, there is no reason for not having a FF sensor in such a small body. But I think we'll have in body SSS, so APS will probably the limit.
We'll know better next week.

regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You'll know better if the bl**dy volcano actually lets me catch me flights! Scotland cut off again. And I have booked and paid for my own leg of the trip, to London airports out and back. If ash prevents Scotland operating, but leaves London OK, the last resort is the sleeper train from Edinburgh.

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

David Kilpatrick wrote:You'll know better if the bl**dy volcano actually lets me catch me flights! Scotland cut off again. And I have booked and paid for my own leg of the trip, to London airports out and back. If ash prevents Scotland operating, but leaves London OK, the last resort is the sleeper train from Edinburgh.

David
like, in the old times?
I like the train, better than the Bus.
Why don't you drive? I have no idea what that represents in gas and time -I still want to go to Scotland and visit my ancestors country (the Mcgregor's, do you remember?) but I think it won't be possible this year, we have to go to Peru for a wedding....
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

It's 400+ miles, about seven hours driving, and then there us no easy decision to make about parking. The UK press is being flown to one of Sony's typical remote (cheap) Balkan locations which does not have regular flights from the UK, Germany, France, etc until June. Which I guess is why the hotel will be cheap.

The downside is that the only flights possible turn what should be a 2hr15minute direct flight into a two-leg all-day haul, and can only depart from Gatwick... but return to Heathrow. This means no-one can leave a car in one place, without allowing at least one hour to get between the two airports to recover the car (plus the expense). So for me, a flight to Gatwick then a flight back from Heathrow make the best sense. I can park in Edinburgh, and if I did have to use rail either way because of the volcano, the railstation has a direct bus to the airport taking about 30 minutes either way, for car recovery.

I would have considered the train, with sleepers both ways, but of course in Britain the rail tickets are so expensive it is cheaper to fly as well as much less trouble, getting in directly and leaving directly from the airports involved.

This is all for the sake of an article for the BJP which is unlikely to get me back the air fares I'm forced to spend if I want to join the party. I would not have been invited, but the BJP received an invitation at much too short notice for any staff to go, and I grabbed the chance to take it. I wouldn't even mention this at all, if some of the UK press had not leaked that there will be press conference next week, making it common knowledge in various places (but peculiarly enough, not on dPreview forums).

Of course the BJP has agreed that I can do my own reports on photoclubalpha, but I can't write it up for anything else, including my magazines, until they have published.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Did I miss something? There will be a huge Sony event and they'll announce new stuff, like the evils ??
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Join the club Bossel, looks like Sony is finally going to dip their little toesypoos in EVIL waters... :)
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

No idea what they will announce :-) But someone called me two days ago and said he'd seen the advance news about the NEX camera launch next week in Amateur Photographer, so although I have not read AP, I presume they printed something.

I can't say where or when or what, but I can tell you the volcano ash thing is causing worries. If we are going to have Scotland or other UK areas shut down for 12 hour or 24 hour periods at random, flying is going to get very difficult. Our travel insurance policy only cost £90 a year, but this year they will already have paid out £900 to us and last year we got back £60 of the £90 for one 12-hour delay.

I know they hedge their insurance in complex ways to make it profitable, but I can't see travel insurance on the current terms being continued when we renew. Volcano ash will no doubt be excluded.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

There isn't any guarantee that the dang thing won't cause more havoc either. You might leave ok, but then there is the getting back part...again.
Greg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8625813.stm
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

For all it is worth here is the NEX release date on sonyalpharumors.com
(SR5) Sony Hong Kong confirms the NEX release date. It is May11
May 6, 2010 reviews 2 Comments

The website “unwire.hk” just received an invitation from Sony which confirms the NEX Worldwide Release for May 11.

The media invitation reads as follows (google translation from chinese):

Worldwide attention debut

Anywhere beyond the imagination of the lightweight body experience quality SLR digital camera

Market, the highly anticipated Sony’s first interchangeable lens digital camera series, will be May 11, 2010 simultaneous global release, and the media are invited to bring a friend the first to feel the new series of excellent photography experience.

New series of lightweight slim design to meet the advanced shooting functions, fully meet the needs of photographers, anytime, anywhere to enjoy the fun of shooting; new series also brought the quality SLR digital cameras let you play to creativity.

In addition, the new camera series of product designers will be a special trip to attend the conference to share its unique design concept.

Friends are invited to experience the Sony media is full of unlimited creative digital imaging world. Welcome to your report / s on site to interview
Date ︰ 2010 5 11
Time ︰ 12:45
I have seen this reference to 11 May somewhere else. David Kilpatrick can probably confirm that this is the date.
Re the original entry by Inthesky. I am firmly of the opinion that the NEX series will not feature FF sensors.
I am very pleased with the low ISO output generated by my A350 and if the 14Mp Exmor in the NEX series is as good as or better than the A550 variety then I would say this is going to be a good camera that will beat the Pana/Pen competitors. I was reading about a disappointed owner of I think the G1, expressing the view that its 4/3 12Mp sensor did not provide better low ISO images than his LX3. Depending on reviews and prices (and lens range and quality) I may buy a NEX at some stage rather than the A7XX whenever it appears. Especially so if Sony provides an quality external viewfinder be it optical or electronic. The heralded adapter to Alpha lenses with AF will be a bonus. Sorry about the lack of SSS in the body, but then you cannot have everything in a miniscule body.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Basically correct but obviously there are many different regional launches, and I can confirm that the European one has a REALLY silly time for the official meeting in order to coincide with other worldwide meetings - but, getting the press conference over before breakfast does allow the rest of the day free to use the cameras.

Except - on all past events, Sony has provided fewer cameras than there have been delegates. This is not funny and means you either have to be selfish and grab/hold whatever you can get, or behave in a civilised way and watch the only samples disappear for the entire day (and just as likely to be in hands of a British journalist as a German one, whatever we say!).

So I just really hope they have the right number of test bodies. I will be taking an external Sony microphone as the NEX has a stereo mic input, and plenty of SD/MSPro cards, and my SAM 30mm lens in case they have the NEX to ALPHA adaptor available (it will only operate, I think, with SAM and SSM lenses).

Once again, torn as whether to take A900. I think it must just be the A550 with 11-18mm, 16-80mm, 70-300mm and 30mm.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'm crossing my fingers.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

No in body stabilization and no screw drive lenses would be a serious drawback. The CZ 16-80 or Sony/Sigma 30mm/1.4 wold be perfect for the NEX. But then, Sony wants us to buy everything again. :?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

David Kilpatrick wrote above
and my SAM 30mm lens in case they have the NEX to ALPHA adaptor available (it will only operate, I think, with SAM and SSM lenses).

I did not think of that - the missing body screw drive for non SAM and SSM lenses. Another sacrifice to the small body. Well, I am addicted to W/A shooting and so my Tamron 10-24 won't do on a NEX. So I will have to dig even deeper and perhaps purchase the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM as well. So it will probably be 2011 before I make the plunge. By then I will know what dedicated lenses are available without the need for an adapter.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

alphaomega wrote:David Kilpatrick wrote above
and my SAM 30mm lens in case they have the NEX to ALPHA adaptor available (it will only operate, I think, with SAM and SSM lenses).

Well, I am addicted to W/A shooting and so my Tamron 10-24 won't do on a NEX.
I think it "will do" on the NEX but manual focus only.
Same as third part adapters for other mounts -I think Sony is smart enough for selling the NEX to Canon and Nikon users in the search for a compat APSc body with a kit lens and adapters for their own system's mount. It worked for the 4/3 system, it will work (better) on a APSc HD video camera.

Regards
Pako
------------