RAW Advice

From RAW conversion to image editing and printing
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: RAW Advice

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Check your installation, and clear the RAW Cache.

David
stewartjs
Initiate

Unread post by stewartjs »

Thanks David. Have checked installation and seems OK, but you've lost me with the RAW Cache!!!

Stewart
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Preferences - Cache - Purge Cache
stewartjs
Initiate

Unread post by stewartjs »

Thanks for the advice David. Having trouble locating the Cache - never was much good with computers! Will keep trying. At least I can now process my wife's A200 RAW files, which I couldn't before.

A550 seems to produce 2 identical files, both in ARW 2.1 (Compressed) format. Is that correct?

Stewart
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Two files? No. Maybe one JPEG, one RAW. Or you downloaded twice in error.

You will find the cache where I said - not in Camera Raw preferences, but in Bridge preferences.

David
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Raw Advice

Unread post by 01af »

stewartjs wrote:I may just buy PSE 8 as there are plenty of half-price offers at the moment.
Plenty of half-price offers on an Adobe product usually is a strong indication that the successor version is lurking just around the corner.

On the other hand, Photoshop Elements 8 has been released ony eight months ago ...

Considering the original question---any raw converter will yield better results than in-camera JPEGs ... with the exception of Sony Image Data Converter. Still, in-camera JPEG files are more than good enough for most applications. I always shoot in Raw+JPEG mode so I have the in-camera JPEG for quick and convenient use and additionally the raw file in case something is less-than-perfect with the JPEG file.

-- Olaf
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Raw Advice

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

01af wrote:Considering the original question---any raw converter will yield better results than in-camera JPEGs ... with the exception of Sony Image Data Converter. Still, in-camera JPEG files are more than good enough for most applications. I always shoot in Raw+JPEG mode so I have the in-camera JPEG for quick and convenient use and additionally the raw file in case something is less-than-perfect with the JPEG file.
I agree completely with this philosophy, and for the reasons given. This is especially true now that the cost of storage has become quite low and there is no longer a real economic incentive to minimize the space per image.

I've just been through the process of evaluating about 650 images that I took last weekend as the volunteer photographer for a Concours/Car Show that raised about $60,000 for the local Children's Library. I found that the camera's JPEG files were quite acceptable for the vast majority of the images, with little or no additional work required.

However, there were some images that required significant post-processing, primarily where there was extreme contrast between areas in direct sun and areas in the shade of trees. In those cases, the availability of the RAW files was a real help in producing acceptable images.

With best wishes,
- Tom -