Sony alpha A55

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
InTheSky
Viceroy

Sony alpha A55

Unread post by InTheSky »

If this rumors is true ... and lt looks like ... this will be my next purchase, if the price is not to much exceed 1000 $ CAD (series 5 usually are not more than this price...).

having a 16MP and real and fast AF in movie .. will be my next stage to filming Macro insects and wildlife. And even giving the boost to my small Samsung HD camcorder for low light baby movie.

1) A55 (translucent) 16MP 10FPS EVF-1.44M 1.1X magnification 95% AVCHD full hd

Information from the sonyalpharumors web site this morning.

I wish they will have created a very quiet sensor shutter to allow taking picture in theater.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Sony alpha A55

Unread post by pakodominguez »

InTheSky wrote: Information from the sonyalpharumors web site this morning.
Salut Frank,

a rumor is not "information" (even if that blog have some time "real information")
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It's suggested on that site there are 2 EVF 2 OVF models if I read it correctly.
I'm ignoring the EVF offerings (just because I want to and I dislike EVF with a passion) and I'll be looking for improvements to design/handling and much better customisation and features.

For the OVF models they're going to have to do better than 0.80x.
It will take a miracle for me to remain interested in A mount..but we'll see.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:and I'll be looking for improvements to design/handling and much better customisation and features.

For the OVF models they're going to have to do better than 0.80x.
It will take a miracle for me to remain interested in A mount..but we'll see.
Regarding specs, I think we can have an idea of what's coming by looking at what Sony have done with the NEX (still and video) cameras.
For the rest (ergonomics and "that kind of things") I don't think they'll bring just right now something that you'll like, Barry... Sony's idea is been profitable and if they are not "giving away" lens and body caps on the NEX, they have no reason for add an AEL button that less than XX% of the users will use :-/

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

EVF-1.44M 1.1X magnification 95%
I thought an EVF pretty much always displays 100%. I wonder if this 95% spec is accurate? Anyone know why an EVF wouldn't be 100%?
InTheSky
Viceroy

pakodominguez wrote:
InTheSky wrote: Information from the sonyalpharumors web site this morning.
Salut Frank,

a rumor is not "information" (even if that blog have some time "real information")
It is a (SR5) , I'm not able to find again the link about the explanation of this, but there is level of confidence on the rumors, and the SR5, is considered as confirmed (or like more that 95% of chance ...).

Regards,

Frank
Frank
roysmith
Heirophant

Unread post by roysmith »

bakubo wrote:
EVF-1.44M 1.1X magnification 95%
I thought an EVF pretty much always displays 100%. I wonder if this 95% spec is accurate? Anyone know why an EVF wouldn't be 100%?
Not sure but maybe it uses an alternate sensor, like liveview does?
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bakubo wrote:Anyone know why an EVF wouldn't be 100%?
Planned obselesence?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

If you have to ask for a AEL button or a few basic bits then the manufacturer obviously has some issues in "tapping into the real world use of cameras". I've come to expect the worst with Sony (sadly) though I hope they can at least show they are making progress and more importantly "listening". I don't think they're going to conquer anyone with their current attitude or offerings..but I hope they can surprise me and put out something good.

But I'll repeat again a very high fps is not something a lot of folks would need or desire it's way down the list of important stuff.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Assuming that the A 55 is a pellix type design with the capacity for 10 FPS then Sony would have had to improve the focus/ shutter time lag sequence over older consumer grade cameras. This will offer improved performance capability even for those of us who would never (?) use 10 FPS.

A real world example is that Nikon definitely crippled this area of performance in the D90 so as not to produce a rival for the D300. I do use my D90 to shoot junior local hockey matches and the more social grade adult teams, however for the better womens teams and the male teams the D90 falls short of the A 700. Bearing in mind that this is far short state, national or international quality competition.

A lot of parents / grandparents as well as local enthusiasts with non pro spec cameras would find welcome advantages in such cameras.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Peter, the whole point of the pellicle design is that the AF module gets uninterrupted image info (we should stop using Canon's camera name trademark 'Pellix' in this context, that's like calling cameras with a pentaprism Pentax). Therefore if it can track the subject, it does not matter whether the camera is firing at 10fps, 15fps, or shooting movies. There is no mirror movement and the AF is constantly active.

David
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

It's too early, but I'm starting to think that except A7x0 they will realize and something like A77 :D
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
InTheSky
Viceroy

David Kilpatrick wrote:Peter, the whole point of the pellicle design is that the AF module gets uninterrupted image info (we should stop using Canon's camera name trademark 'Pellix' in this context, that's like calling cameras with a pentaprism Pentax). Therefore if it can track the subject, it does not matter whether the camera is firing at 10fps, 15fps, or shooting movies. There is no mirror movement and the AF is constantly active.

David
David,

Do you think they will have a kind of stopping option when the sensor shutter will fire to stop the autofocus to prevent having movement picture ... ;-) My wish is to have both option ... because in some other case this could be very cool. I'm talking about exposition less that ~1/100s ... because I don't think there is autofocus enough faster to affect a picture around this speed.

Regards,

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

dynax800si wrote:It's too early, but I'm starting to think that except A7x0 they will realize and something like A77 :D
And what about a A88 with a big flash like the old 800si :-) I'm constantly thinking about who will try to make a reborn of this fabulous invention, probably the only thing that was missing on this 800si flash was the ability to turn it up ... but with a small piece of plastic it is easy to push the light on the ceiling.

Frank
Frank
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

InTheSky wrote: And what about a A88 with a big flash like the old 800si :-)
Yes, 800si has a monster flash, Canon EOS 5 is similar (photo here).
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.