Tall Ships Hartlepool 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Tall Ships Hartlepool 2010

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Hi all, made it to the Tall Ships event at Hartlepool today.

Have got loads of images to go through, will post a selection as I go through them.

Here are the first three.

Thanks for looking

Paul
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Tall Ships Hartlepool 2010

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Paul, very nice pictures, I especially like the view 'down the line' in #2 and the wide angle shot in #3. Looking forward to the next batch :D.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow great compositions, I know how difficult tall ships are too photograph, I especially like the shot down the line as well.
Greg
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Paul, wonderful photos. Great colour and compositions.
The 3rd photo is my favorite, with the two bowsprits
almost here in the room with me. ;^)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Just as I anticiapated of you, Paul: these are great!

I was looking forward to your The Tall Ships, Hartlepool shots... :D

MIR
is looking sweet as the lead with all the rest along the quay and the third is a spectacular shot which I would largen and display on my wall, had the shot been shot by me. :D It must be Alexander von Humboldt on the left with the green sails but couldn't recognize the ship on the right...maybe Tenacious?

I'm so glad that you made good choices with the lenses! Looking forward to the other batches to come...

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Thanks for looking, Yildiz you have a good memory for names of the ships.

The ships do present a challenge to photograph as the masts are so tall - I have taken many shots for pano stitching as the widest lens I have is the KM 17-35mm on an A700 which is not really wide enough

I meant to take notes, but forgot so I can't always say who is who, but anyway here are a few more

Another view of MIR which is a truly massive ship

A view of the police launch and some of the tall ships

There were also lots of food stalls serving every kind of food you could imagine

Still more to come

Paul
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Paul - I think the 17-35 has done really well, I would have guessed at a wider angle lens having been used. Love the last shot of the food stall - I'll have the "Vegie Noodles" and a cold drink please :D.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Paul, : )

Finally, I found out that the ship on the right in the third shot of the first post is Stad Amsterdam. Tenacious has a white line along its hull and has no headfigure beneath its bowsprit.

I'm glad the weather is clear in Hartlepool allowing for no haze, hence lovely clear clouds against a blue sky behind the tall ships' masts which contribute for great photos.

I like all your shots of the Hartlpool Harbour, Mir, the rest of the ships and the food stands. Never saw such big food-warmers before, especially in Europe. They can be easily found in eastern world but these are really interesting! : )) I wonder what the first container has inside, so redish and hot-looking.

Puplic seem happy to be part of the jolly Tall Ships events!! :D

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yeah I found the food stall interesting also, especially the prices, 5 pounds for vegie noodles, that's about 8 or $9 Au I think, isn't that a bit steep, or am I out of touch? of course I'm only thinking small takaway snack type containers, maybe the size of the container was larger than I'm thinking, say 850ml and not 500ml.
That front dish looks like it's got corn in tomato paste, but I think I'm wrong there, I don't think that would be very appetizing. I wonder why it's set up so everyone has too reach over the food from both sides too get served? what if someone drops something in the food, loose change for instance?
Good sharp shot though, and great dof.
Greg
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

There were so many food stalls and quite good value (for the UK and in a closed event) - it costs much more to eat out or generally do anything here than most of the rest of the world.
I agree, the set up for that stall left a lot to be desired (lucky dip for change) - the large pan nearest was a sort of mixed bean chilli.
Here are a few more pics if you aren't bored yet.

There was a (I think Indonesian) marching band and this sailor had his face painted with camouflage paint - he briefly looked in my direction ( the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM focuses fast and accurately)

The Astrid, with a modern Norwegian ship in the background (don't know what type but it had an unusual bow - see pic after this

Modern ship, with strange wooden blocked bow

If you want to see more I've still got files to develop yet

Cheers

Paul
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Mmm... something to do with Sonar?

Keep 'em coming Paul :D
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

One can't get enough of the Tall Ships! : )

Thanks for sharing, Paul.

The Indonesian tall ship Dewaruci's crew is very popular for being musical, colourful and entertaining as well as a cuisine with interesting food. They enjoy these Crew Parades and the Sail Parades genuinely which ever port town they visit. : )) Cheerful crew, that they are!

A very brirght shot of the Astrid against that lovely blue sky with patches of clouds. : )
And the Norwegian coast guard ship is very interesting. I guess it was one of the couple of support vessels that accompanied the fleet all the way from Kristiansand, Norway, where Race Two started off.

Keep them coming, Paul! : )

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Definitely beautiful shots Paul. Keep them coming. Nice series.
Birma, it might be a sonar... or even a Sonnar. and why not a Tessar... :lol: :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Tall ships are a real challenge, one that you have overcome.
Nice that you worked in a little culture as well.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Birma wrote:Mmm... something to do with Sonar?

Keep 'em coming Paul :D
It could be one of those sideways impeller pods to make the ship more maneuverable.

Dusty