Sony conference

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
mp-alpha
Acolyte

Re: Sony conference

Unread post by mp-alpha »

Interesting information.
I wonder how long ago they made that decision, it might help explain why there is so much of a gap since they stopped selling the A700.
dynax800si
Heirophant

Unread post by dynax800si »

That A77 is the same bloody mock-up from PMA :x

No lifting option for the Translucent mirror sounds pretty bad. :x
αlphαforum.net
α-mount forum Bulgaria.
mike2008
Heirophant

Unread post by mike2008 »

bfitzgerald wrote:That's it for me if OVF's are out at this level it's only a matter of time before they dump them across the entire range.
Call me a purist or a die hard but it's all over now..

I'm pulling the plug on A mount only pure sentimentality prevents a complete sell off of all my film stuff. But I'm open to offers on my A200 for starters mint as new spotless have hot shoe cover, original Sony battery extra Sido battery, screen protector and strap with manual unboxed. Very light use.

More to come stay tuned 8)
kthxbye
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

the A33 and A55 seem to work pretty well. an upscale body would be a good thing for it. it'l be interesting to see where 9 series goes.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Actually I'm thinking here that Sony is finally fighting dirty. Everyone thought Sony was going to junk their cameras up with "play-station goodies" when really they just wanted in to get their own piece of the pie with what were very conservative cameras. Canikon Pentax and Oly all rushed video out before it was ready along with M 4/3's. Best buy sabotaged the A350 launch with their stunt and DPR failed to recognize some superior aspects of Alpha in their reviews. So now Sony goes back, they design their own camera technology that in most aspects out preforms the older style and generally seem more modern and much cheaper to build.

Simultaneously they bring out NEX and embrace fully the third party manufacturers with full corporate support while Canikon are a year away and will have immature new mounts they will put against NEX but not for another year or 18 months while E-mount gets entrenched. All this while the A-Double X cameras steal away canikons lower end business. No wonder nobody is talking about the A580, this is a huge change in the market. it'll be neat all of a sudden to see more Sony thrird party stuff than canikin on the shelves. if this is true and Canikon really have nothing but traditional cameras to respond with then Sonyhas really turned the tables on them all.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I would like to emphasise the big difference between Samsung and Sony at their conferences. Sony made all this noise about working with third parties. Samsung proudly pointed out that every part of their NX100 system was internally sourced, and when asked whether they would be allowing 3rd party makers to use their i-Fn lens system, were very clear in answering. They said they would not licence the technology to 3rd parties becuse they wanted to make sure NX100 owners owners bought Samsung lenses.

This was actually said, in public, in reply to a question from the floor. It was a translated reply, but very clear. Samsung want to stop 3rd party accessory makers. Sony want - now - to encourage them. Sony almost wants NEX and the 18mm E-mount to become a new standard like the old Leica M39 or Pentax M42 and K were in the past. Maybe with their own bodies only, but who knows?

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hu oh, it looks like I/we might have too take the NEX widget a lot more seriously now, the current Sony approach is one that will most likely succeed in widespread adoption of the E-mount as a standard in it's market area. Could be a move that'll really affect the M4/3'rds market, and pre-empt the Canon-Nikon entry into the area.The open approach is a really good one, it'll attract lots of players to the party, remains to be seen if Sony can keep the lid on the ones who will most likey try and morph it to suit themselves as much as possible. But top marks to Sony with that idea, surprising really, never saw that one coming.
Greg
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I need a Nex with a truly good EVF. I need both the EVF and the rear screen to have a better MF assist technique, like blinking the critically sharp edges; and make them blink the faster, the sharper they are - that's really easy to do.

I would also love a kinda modular Nex, being a small and portable main body about the current Nex5/3 size then plus a big battery grip with tons of added direct controls, a status display and whatsoever useful to fit there. They could even arrange it so that the EVF is present only on that hybrid 'grip'.

If I get it all, the DSLRs may RIP for good.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yep a NEX with a good EVF and a battery grip (something decent to hang on too), well an OVF would suit me actually then you don't have too consume battery power running the main sensor (and causing it too heat up) for the LV or EVF. Actually if your going to have an OVF, might as well chuck in SSS and screw drive PDAF with an A-mount....then I could use my lenses directly...that'd be good. hmmm what have I missed?? :lol:
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think a touch of logic here will work wonders. Using a translucent mirror there is no way they're going to be able to split the light to a phase detect sensor, main image sensor and an optical viewfinder unless some miracle of engineering is at work here.

Bottom line it's an EVF and apparently no OVF least no mention of it yet.

As for Samsung I've long felt they've has a lot of potential but I can't say I like the info DK has stated. They would want to be far more open to the prospect of allowing other lens makers and mount use of their system. It's a question of too little too late for them I'm afraid. NX has potential but it's not as "sexy" as NEX (even though I'd pass on both myself)

Between NEX and micro 4/3 I see NX as a C league has been actor walk on part. I don't think they're selling great in Europe..to be fair the NX-10 isn't half bad had a play myself and l quite liked the body design more practical than NEX. But the EVF is merely ho hum, the video quality isn't very good (for a larger sensor) the 14mp Samsung sensor just isn't as good as the Sony ones. Unless they start some tasty price cutting (as Samsung has done in the past) I don't see NX making a huge impact, it might tick along ok though..but no more.
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

Will the presence of the mirror bring back TTL metering flash units?
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hey Winston long time no see, did you happen too score a heffalump or two on your African trip?
Yeah I agree, real TTL with no preflash, I can't see why they couldn't have been able to calibrate the system for that as is anyway, I just think it was another example of making life difficult for non genuine manufacturers...never did understand why we HAD to have that P&S preflash rubbish.
Greg

ps. Baz, I was being a bit coy with my mods on the NEX, by the time I'd finished with all the add-ons I'd converted it back into a DSLR ha ha
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Sounds like sony remembers the past....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Greg I'd say the NEX is not on your "must buy list" but if I'm wrong do let me know :shock:
I was having an in depth discussion with some pals today and all of them agreed Sony have gone the wrong way about entering the DSLR market place and trying to build a bigger DSLR division.

They felt the FF offerings were a good sign but not followed up properly and none of them understands why Sony would completely ignore the semi pro level/enthusiast market. Not a single one would even consider Sony at this time..and these folks are not loyal fanboys far from it.

They just don't like what they see.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Greg TTL doesn't work off the sensor very well because the face of the sensor isn't reflective enough to accurately gauge how much light is right. There were cameras that did TTL off the sensor but they didn't work very well