Need help with an odd experiment

The Photoclubalpha team will provide answers but anyone who knows the gen can offer theirs too
mvanrheenen

Need help with an odd experiment

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I have an idea with which I can show the world in one image how I see the world.

The thing is, for the idea to work, I need to be able to capture one of photography's biggest foes: dust on the sensor.

I want to capture the dust particles on the sensor of one of my camera's as sharp and distrinctive as possible.

Can anybody give me any hints how to accomplish this? I will elaborate more on the why when I have any results.

Thank you very much!

Mark
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Need help with an odd experiment

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Are you wanting to use the dirty sensor itself for image capture or do you mean that you'd like to capture an image of your dirty sensor with another camera? If the first, just use your smallest aperture available to you, if the second, you'll need a macro lens.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
mvanrheenen

Hi Kevin,

My apologies for nog being clear enough. I want to use the dirty sensor itself to capture the image.

So, using a lens with the smallest possible aperture would do the trick?

Thanks.

Mark
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

you could maybe simulate this in photoshop. that could give ytou the freedone to use all your settings for the main subject if there is one
mvanrheenen

Hi Javelin,

Well, the dust is my main subject and I don't use Photoshop (but that's no limitation).

Mark
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have done this so maybe I can help. If you don't have lots of dust on your sensor then first add dust to it. Make sure the background is light so that dust spots will show up well. Shoot at a small aperture, such as f16 of f22 and don't underexpose. Then in your editing software you can increase contrast, play with levels/curves, etc. to make sure the spots show up better. If you shoot jpeg and don't PP then set the contrast and sharpness to the highest level in camera.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

You can't have dust spots sharp. That's impossible imo.
If you want them to be seen then shoot a blue sky, then add more dust manually on your sensor and try again.
But the best thing would be to clean your sensor and forget that idea.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mvanrheenen

Hi Doc, well, I abolutely need the dust on the picture. It's essential for this idea.

Thanks anyway for sharing you're thoughts. I think I can manage with the information I got. Now to find some time to execute it.