Birds 2011

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Birds 2011

Unread post by Birma »

Nice birds AA and Greg - that Goshawk is giving a great demonstration of the use of those talons :shock: .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, : )

Willie Wagtail is a very spectacular bird. Glad that you took a break for a riding outing.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Birma and Yildiz, I'll try to get the Willie Wagtail that one on the grass was the Plover, the WW is a small very active bird and not easy to photograph, but one can hang around each day for a while and sometimes they get more used to you being there, it just means you've got to spend a fair amount of time....
Greg
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

thanks aster, it's one of those lucky days that i have chance to take advantage of :D

@greg, sharp shot of the plover :) and yes it's really sad to see raptors with their prey/s and see different things in the wild.....
.....it's all about timing"
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:Thanks Birma and Yildiz, I'll try to get the Willie Wagtail that one on the grass was the Plover, the WW is a small very active bird and not easy to photograph, but one can hang around each day for a while and sometimes they get more used to you being there, it just means you've got to spend a fair amount of time....
Greg
Oh, I got carriedd away there, Greg. : ) I should of checked back on the Internet. So this is the Plover! :D I still like the way its back feathers are dispersed like a coat and hangs down on the sides and the most extraordinary yellow wattles on the golden-crowned head.

Thanks for sharing the Plover! :D

Yildiz

ps. Willie Wagtail is a very nice black and white bird. Looks very fast. I see what you mean when you say it's a hard catch.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Yildiz, yes the Plover is a bit of an odd one with it's wattles and a sharp little spur on the wing, they tend to get very agro when they have young ones running around near their feet, I had to brave the onslaught once to grab a little one off the road and take it to a safer location, harried by the parents the whole way.
I had a return visit to see if I could possibly score a WW down at the park beside the esplanade, I had a medium success, not the best photos of one but they do move around constantly, it's very difficult to even get a shot at one let alone a good shot what with the acrobatics they do almost continually. Btw today I discovered there are actually two WW's, sometimes doing little chases and wild manoeuvres together.
Greg
A700 KM100-300apo (both cropped)
DSC03528.jpg
DSC03528.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
DSC03529.jpg
DSC03529.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, : )

Thanks for the nice shots of the WW (as you named it). :) Lovely black and white bird with white brow like strakes on the eyes.
I think these are well-catured quality-wise, so nothing to worry about. It does show from the shots that they actually can't sit still.:D

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Especially like the second one Greg. Nice eyebrows :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Yildiz and Birma, I'm still amazed at that spot, it isn't much more than a long narrow string of trees all along the side of the road, very nicely kept by the council though, there were some other birds I got photos of but not very good ones, a Brush Cuckoo, a Black Faced Cuckoo-Shrike, (I'll see if I can get better ones) a White Throated Honeyeater and a bunch of tiny Zebra Finches hopping around on the grass making their little 'beep' sounds.
Greg
A700 KM100-300apo
DSC03527.jpg
DSC03527.jpg (112.8 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Great bird shots from down under AA & Greg, most I have never seen before. Thanks for sharing guys.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lovely bunch of Zebra Finches, Greg. :)

They must be hard to catch rather still also.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks DA and yildiz.
Greg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

A700 + Sony 70-300 G
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That's a good head study of a raptor Doc.
Greg
aa los banos
Oligarch

Unread post by aa los banos »

awesome detail doc :D
.....it's all about timing"