Sony A77-Really a Bridge camera? Worth Getting Now or Wait.

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Sony A77-Really a Bridge camera? Worth Getting Now or Wait.

Unread post by aster »

Hi all, : )

Now that A77 is out and fast achieving a high-rate praisal from any of its purchasers, also receiving reviews of being a 'bridge' camera, I'm wondering if it's a good go and buy one now. Or... do you think that it'll be well worth the wait for what A77 is 'bridging' to. An A99 perhaps?

I have access to an A77VK with the kit lens and just wondering if it would merely be hasty decision. Any worthy intelligence that the successor in the works will be arriving soon and worth the wait for a little while longer? : )

Thanks in advance for any information that will help me decide.

Yildiz
Scooterman
Oligarch

Re: Sony A77-Really a Bridge camera? Worth Getting Now or Wa

Unread post by Scooterman »

I nearly did not buy the A-77, when I first tried it the viewfinder and a few other points on it then I tried the 1.03 firmware version and also good quality lenses and that persuaded it for me.
If I did not have “quality” lenses it would not have been worth it, to get the best out of the sensor i’m afraid the lenses have to be good and they are not cheap.
So If you do not have the lenses to use stick with what you have, if you do the IQ will amaze you as David showed with the detail on that red sign.
I have the A-580 but it is now not being used as much that is how much I like the A-77.
Regards
Richard
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Hello Yildiz. I used the a700 and upgraded to the a900 but kept the a700. My wife takes pictures and the need for two cameras was justified. If the last two years has taught me anything, it's that waiting for Sony to release a camera is a frustrating thing. I too have thought about upgrading the a700 as a present to my wife. However, she does concert photography and it appears that the a77 lacks the required performance in low light situations. The age old questions apply, what are you shooting and what will you be shooting. I will never be a professional. Probably won't benefit from 12fps in my everyday shooting activities. Don't much care for video. So what does one do?
I suggest you find a camera that meets your current needs as there is no bridge required to get to where you already are. For me that means NEX 5 or 7, or maybe a 500 series Alpha (even if it is used). I know I am rambling but we have been thinking about the same things. Makes me feel better to get it off my chest.
One last thing; nothing beats thinking about what camera might be best in the future than shopping for and buying great glass. Buy yourself a Zeiss lens and put it on your old outdated (joke) camera. I bet it cures you of thinking about bridges and makes you want to photograph them.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

jbtaylor wrote:I suggest you find a camera that meets your current needs as there is no bridge required to get to where you already are. For me that means NEX 5 or 7, or maybe a 500 series Alpha (even if it is used).
This is exactly what I did, kept the A700 and just bought a NEX-5N in lieu of moving to the A77.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Hehe, I also kept my 700's and I kept my Nex5's and then added C3 as it got released and then added a 5N plus a EVF. And in between I also got an a55.

So...

Mid-high ISO 400-1600 indoor dim tungsten and mixed lighting taken with quality glass - the 700 is the champ.
Top res landscape/travel with UWA/WA lenses in good light - a55 and C3 win unequivocally, but the older Nex5 is better at tighter apertures due to overlax LPF; so I often prefer Nex5 for brighter conditions.
Very low light at higher K light conditions, like just after the sunset or in the shady mountain/forest areas - the 5N is the king. And it also cooks JPEGs ready for immediate consumption. An ultimate picture-taking tourist gadget. And it shakes much less thanks to the electronic first curtain, so that 1/4s at 18mm shows no shake in about 70% of such shots.

And btw, the C3 does not equal the 5N in raw image quality. The C3 has cleaner fine detail, it's less aliased and has much lower colour moiree.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

agorabasta wrote:Hehe, I also kept my 700's and I kept my Nex5's and then added C3 as it got released and then added a 5N plus a EVF.
Well, I sold my a700 but kept my a900, my KM7D and the NEX5. I had been intending to buy a NEX-7 but with maybe another four months or more before any stock becomes avaiable I am now seriously contemplating plumping for the NEX-5N instead, not least because of its apparently wonderful IQ and also, critically, the accessory EVF. Since I see the NEX as a vehicle for M- and MD- mount lenses I am not bothered about tbe lack of physical controls by comparison with the NEX-7. All i need is exposure compensation and that's already readily accessible with the rear wheel on the 5N (as on the 5) and of course MF assist is there on all the NEX's. I looked at the a77 too. Loved the EVF but figured if I want to use my A-mount lenses at 1.5x I can always add a LA-EA2to the NEX.

I should be very interested to hear if anyone has experience with the EVF on tne NEX-5N and how it compares with that on the a77 - I know they're supposed to be the same but....
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D
Alright, you've all provided me good, solid and most valid points to reassess my acquisition! Thank you.

What sort of camera do I need?

I like taking my camera anywhere that I can and I don't discriminate between subject or circumstances. I want a fast camera that will take sharp photos in low light conditions; Bosphorus at night with the ships cruising and sailing, where they don't appear like ghosting objects in the middle of the frame somewhere; Inside of the many Ottoman mosques and other religious buildings during day and night; fast moving animals when I'm at a zoo or birds in flight, because I like capturing the story of an animal pack (You may recall my seagull jevuniles' daily stories of eccentricity. 12 fps can work wonders at such times); 24 mp can make bigger prints possible should I wish to work on near-life-size wall-hangers; an articulating LCD can give me more options with low and high altitude shooting; a more stout body after my A100 will be welcome; video has become a natural part of my shooting, although I already do own and use an HD Sony camera; I own a Carl-Zeiss lens but see the necessity for high quality lenses that deliver high-resolution photography; 3D panoramic photography is something I can imagine that I will enjoy, since I like the third dimension in movies.

If concert shooting is troublesome, then I must remember that the same conditions apply for my night-time Istanbul or any other low-light urban photography.

How about NEX?

Very good point. Light, convertible, versatile and with an adaptor an A-type lens befriender. 3D is still possible with this light-weight choice. Good colours and sharpness with quality lenses.

Do I want the A77 or the ultimate successor? Which will satisfy me?

My instincts and feelings tell me that when I buy the A77, I won't feel like I fulfilled my expectations but will feel more like owning a very good semi-professional camera. It won't hurt me to own one and I'll be a proud owner but I'll be curious in the back of my mind if I resigned to a camera model, rather than getting what I really wanted.

But then I'm a quality-seeker and a modest-looking NEX or the like have nothing to hinder or come short of this expectation.

Thank you, Scooterman, JBTaylor and Redsim74. :D

Any other input is also welcome!

By the way, Dr. Harout, congratulations on the new A77. Looking forward to your photos and personal impressions during your shoots. : ))

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Just realized that there are more posts with input... : )

Thank you Agorabasta and Artington. :D

I'll read your posts on your eperiences and preferences and will try to process them now.... Given me much to think about and evaluate.

Yildiz
agorabasta
Viceroy

aster wrote:I want a fast camera that will take sharp photos in low light conditions...
That would rule the a77 totally out of any consideration.
The choices stay the Nex5N+EVF+LAEA2, the a580, and the K5/D7000 outside the alpha system. That's it for now.
agorabasta
Viceroy

artington wrote:I should be very interested to hear if anyone has experience with the EVF on tne NEX-5N and how it compares with that on the a77 - I know they're supposed to be the same but....
I posted in the Nex forum.
aramkostanyan
Heirophant

Unread post by aramkostanyan »

I have A55, and I like it.
It's very good in low light.
Although the EVF gets grainy in very dirk conditions, but at the same conditions you will not be able to see anything through OVF.
Sony A55 + Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 HSM, SAM 55-200
Aram
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

aramkostanyan wrote:I have A55, and I like it.
It's very good in low light.
Although the EVF gets grainy in very dirk conditions, but at the same conditions you will not be able to see anything through OVF.

Thanks, Aram.

Interesting that you should say that low-light shooting isn't bad whereas some commented that the A77 should be ruled out for such conditions....

And thanks Agorabasta,

I'm looking into the NEX 5N and the A580 also since they seem to be in the market right now.

Yildiz
agorabasta
Viceroy

The image scale low-light quality of the SLTs goes like that - 55>33=35>77=65. The 55 is the best SLT so far in that particular regard. But the 5N shows absolutely no purple haze/noise from the sensor heat at higher ISO. The 55 surely does.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yildiz, I wish I could answer with a very strict one.
I received my a77 on Friday evening, so it's only 3.5 days. I'm still getting used to it and to the EVF.
On first impressions it's a nice beast.
First shots are excellent, I'm even happy with ISO 1600. Haven't tried with a higher ISO.
Is it worth an upgrade from a100. My answer would be a "YES".
For the type of shooting you mention, well, the answer would be a "most probably yes".
From my impressions (and not confined to: they say that..., or as John Doe said..., or http://www.canikonpreview.com mentioned...), shooting in theatres, auditoriums, halls etc. with an a77 will leave you much more comfortable than any other Alpha camera I have used/tried, and that includes a100, a700, a550 and even a55 regarding the shutter sound. Some might disagree and mention NEX. But, mind you, I have said Alpha cameras I have used or tried. :wink:
Though a55's shutter sound is "low-volumed", a77 has a more "silent" one due to it's Front curtain shutter.
Noise wise, don't even think of it, because you have to compare it with your a100. I'll have to test it with a55 to tell you exactly which is better.
I would love to try on animals and see the results. And since I have not yet acquired any experience on that, I'll just keep my mouth shut (till I try of course :wink: ).
Night time shots? Have patience, and I'll let you know in a few more days. Same goes for video (btw, there are lots of friends here who are waiting for my video verdict, but I will rely on my son's and Anne's verdicts).
Stay tuned. :D

P.S.: if you love film then you will appreciate the a77 (my impressions... first impressions :roll: )
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

agorabasta wrote:The image scale low-light quality of the SLTs goes like that - 55>33=35>77=65. The 55 is the best SLT so far in that particular regard. But the 5N shows absolutely no purple haze/noise from the sensor heat at higher ISO. The 55 surely does.
Dumb question, do these cameras (a55, nex5n) share the same sensor? If so, why the difference in performance?
Thanks.
JT