artington
Imperial Ambassador

Oh My

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Oh My

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think they are wrong about the OM-D being micro 4/3rds. I think it is has an OM mount and manual focusing.

It will be shown at Focus on Imaging and may be announced in early February.

David
AnthonyC
Acolyte

Unread post by AnthonyC »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I think it is has an OM mount and manual focusing.
They are a bit late with this. I sold all my beautiful OM lenses for almost nothing 10 years or so ago!

Tony
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I think they are wrong about the OM-D being micro 4/3rds. I think it is has an OM mount and manual focusing.

It will be shown at Focus on Imaging and may be announced in early February.

David
Would OM lenses be brought to focus over such a short distance? The NEX flange to sensor distance is about 18mm and an OM adapter adds about another 25mm (I am estimating this from a photo - I do not have one). Does this not mean that OM lenses require a flange to sensor depth of around 45mm to focus? Thatwould make the camera rather deep. Or am I misunderstanding the optics here?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I don't think it is a slim camera. It is an EVF version of the classic OM-1 with a digital sensor, no mirror, and electronic viewfinder - I think. I may be wrong. I am only going on clues. I believe it will actually look like a rertro OM-1 camera.

David
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Also there is no reason today why standard SLR lenses should not be fitted to a slim body, as long as manual on on-sensor AF is used. You simply place a 45 degree mirror in the body, and position the sensor in the prism or in the 'well' of the camera. Easy to get 44-45mm from mount to sensor.

That is exactly how the Minolta Dimage X worked, the first 'flat' digital compact ever made with a folded lightpath. Nearly all over them have that now. It would no issue at all to design an APS-C body about 25mm thick, the same as a Leica, maybe even slimmer, to accept regular SLR lenses.

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Olympus has used nomenclature from their past to describe a MFT camera before...remember the PEN? I think the OM will be an upmarket MFT camera with built-in EVF. Like a Panasonic GH-whatever but with retro style in place of the futuristic toyishness of the Panasonic.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
cosmonaut1959
Oligarch

Unread post by cosmonaut1959 »

The rumor I am hearing is its a m4/3rd mount with an EVF built in and it will include a free adapter to the 4/3rd lenses in an effort to bring the last 4/3rd hold outs over.
a99, Carl Ziess 24-70mm
a77, Tamron 18-270mm
Fuji Xpro 1, 18mm
Leica M4/M6
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'd agree I would expect a micro 4/3 mount not the original OM one.
The OM models were damn good cameras but sadly Olympus never again reached that level of respect.

Personally I think the abandoned normal 4/3 (which I predicted years back and unlike a few folks never backed down on that!) format is the second time Olympus has dumped on their users, yes the adaptor is fine but Oly are out of the DSLR business in all but the E-5 as a token last gesture to Oly fans. To me it was obvious from day 1 that 4/3 would not be able to compete effectively with APS-C in the DSLR game, and that was proved beyond doubt.
Folks would be right in thinking Sony are not on my Christmas card list, but...Olympus is a make I would never entertain in any way shape or form, even less so after their corporate scandal and rather sad attempt at dealing with it (ie getting shot of the "honest" CEO)