ZOOM!

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

ZOOM!

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

A little experiment I've been working on with my Nex-5....
mvanrheenen

Re: ZOOM!

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Mission accomplished I would say! Was it hard to produce?

I would clone out the numbers plate though. Better a white plate than this warp thing. The lights are a bit wobbly too, looks a bit nervous. Maybe you could PP them straight? Also, did you shoot it from another car? Through a window or not? I find the lights in the right side of the frame a bit hard to explain looking at the scene. They seem to be refections in a window. All IMHO. I personally don't have the skills to produce such a shot. Great work Lonnie, really!
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

2x post. sorry.
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

mvanrheenen wrote:Was it hard to produce?
Not that hard technically, from a photography point of view. Engineering-wise, it's been a little difficult to figure out how to make this work (ie the wavy lines). I've got about $100 in equipment needed to get this shot.
mvanrheenen wrote: Also, did you shoot it from another car? Through a window or not?
Nope! Guess again! :D
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great effect Lonnie and very effective shot. Looking forward to find out how you did it.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

PS: Here's the EXIF info.

Camera NEX-5
Focal Length 16mm
Shutter Speed 6 sec
Aperture f/16
ISO/Film 200
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

That is a very pro looking shot Lonnie. Equal to the car magazines I'd say. As to technique, is it similar to a "dolly zoom" that they do in the movies where the camera is zoomed, and moved closer to the subject at the same time? I'm dying to know how you did this! John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Juanito200 wrote:That is a very pro looking shot Lonnie. Equal to the car magazines I'd say. As to technique, is it similar to a "dolly zoom" that they do in the movies where the camera is zoomed, and moved closer to the subject at the same time? I'm dying to know how you did this! John
Nope, but what I did use rhymes with "Zoom"!

:D

Don't worry, I'll spill the beans soon enough. In the interim, here's a hint. Think about the motion in the shot and what's moving and what isn't. Remember, all motion is relative.
That should get you started.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Ahhh some sort of boom I'll bet. The car is probably moving very slowly...
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

B.I.N.G.O!!!
mvanrheenen

My best bet would've been you mounted the camera on the car. Using a boom seems 'simpler' than that :lol:

Great effect Lonnie and thank you for the background info.

Mark
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Here's an OOC JPG (dust spots and all) showing the rig before it's removed via cloning.

On the part you can't see, I have the center column to a mini-tripod (to decrease weight) and ball head u-bolted to a curved piece of pipe that's attached to the boom. the tricky part is keeping to whole thing from bouncing as you move the car.
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mvanrheenen

Oh wait, you actually DID mount the camera on the car :lol: Sweet idea and rig Lonnie!

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great rig Lonnie :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
DennisG

Unread post by DennisG »

Extremely nicely done :)