Nex 7 Image stabilization or lack there of...

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Nex 7 Image stabilization or lack there of...

Unread post by sury »

My apologies in advance if it is already covered. I could not find the topics covering the same in my search. Since Nex7 does not have In-camera
stabilization, it that perceived as a problem or not an issue? Any insight is appreciated.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Nex 7 Image stabilization or lack there of...

Unread post by bossel »

Most lenses, like the 18-55 kit lens, have optical image stabilization, so you don' need it in the camera itself. The 16mm and 24mm Zeiss don't have it, the 50/1.8, 55-210 and 18-200 have.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you. Now I see what OSS meant on the kit lens image. I completely ignored it as another alphabet soup designation for lens.
All it means is that other Alpha lenses connected through the adapter would have no image stabilization. I can live with that.

With best regards,
Sury
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It makes it worth buying specific third party lenses for use with the LA-EA2 - notably, the Sigma 70-300mm OS. This lens will focus well and also be stabilised on the NEX.

David
sury

Unread post by sury »

David,
I thought (al)most all 3rd party lens makers remove in lens stabilization for Alpha mount. Am I mistaken? Is it possible that they simply
deactivate in-lens system on for Alpha DSLRs? I am still catching up on the details and caveats of the NEX system though I am quite a
bit enamored with Nex7. May be it is worth my while spending the first $1.5K on Zeiss 24/2.0 lens than get yet another body. Would a NEX7
make my A700/A900 redundant for a rank amateur like me?

With best regards,
Sury
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sury, it's very difficult to work out what to do. I still have my A700, my A77, my A900, my NEX-7. I will admit that if you took all of them away apart from the NEX, then got me an LA-EA2, I would probably be able to do everything I need.

Sigma make a few OS lenses in Alpha mount. First, there are recent ones like the 140-400mm and 17-50mm which may not be OS in the latest version, but you can find s/h or unsold new ones which are. Then, there are models like the 100-300mm and 18-250mm OS which are ALL with stabilisation in Alpha mount, and make great companions for the NEX with adaptor.

I'm using the NEX-7 with Tamron 18-200mm. I have to admit it's working really well. Sometimes I get poor sharpness but most of the time it's very sharp indeed, and has stabilisation of course.

David
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you David for the assessment. I guess it is an intractable problem, as long as I am delusional about NEX7's ability to replace my
A900. :lol: I guess that is the price to pay for technology advances. :)

I am going on a vacation to Alaska (not the typical cruise folks take) but fly into Anchorage, Alaska and drive around for 10 days.
I will rent the next 7 and 18-200 E Mount lens from borrowlenses.com, a local renter. That would be the camera my wife will use,
along with LA-EA1/2 for me to play with other lenses. About $225 for camera, lens and adapter for 10days should tell me if I should switch over.
If the missus doesn't take fancy to the camera then it will be my eventual purchase. In meantime I can go buy that 24/2.0 Dr. Harout has been
tempting me with his shots. :lol:

With best regards,
Sury
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

sury wrote:... In meantime I can go buy that 24/2.0 Dr. Harout has been
tempting me with his shots. :lol:

With best regards,
Sury
Sury, take a look in the Lens section. I'm linking a shot with its 100% crop.
I'm not only tempting you but also firmly persuading :twisted:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

My main problem to date has been that I am not used to handling a camera the size and weight of the Nex 7 and it has often been like having 10 thumbs to deal with. However using the LA-EA 2 I have no real problems with lenses such as the CZ 16-80 or the Sony 16-50 as long as I take some care.

The combination of the cameras size and weight together with the high resolution sensor means that it will punish you for sloppy camera technique. I have been the camera a lot over the last few weeks to sort of tune myself into the correct handling. But in the main if you are using f 1.8 to f 2.8 primes or modest zooms for APS cameras, OS or non OS is not a big factor.

I have been using my Minolta 100-300 APO D lens as well and this does require more careful handing when being used hand held. As has been commented on in various forums by the time you get to 24 MP the old rule of thumb of 1/ effective lens length is not that valid ( not that it was enough when shooting ISO 25-50 films for max quality anyway ). Even at 1/1000 I consider the shots I was getting when using a decent tree branch or wall as support were better than the purely hand held. But here I am talking about some pixel peeping rather than printing out 6x4 or even A4 to give to family and friends. Keeping the shutter speed as high as possible together with a decent panning and camera technique should still get you decent results.
sury

Unread post by sury »

peterottaway wrote:My main problem to date has been that I am not used to handling a camera the size and weight of the Nex 7 and it has often been like having 10 thumbs to deal with. However using the LA-EA 2 I have no real problems with lenses such as the CZ 16-80 or the Sony 16-50 as long as I take some care.

The combination of the cameras size and weight together with the high resolution sensor means that it will punish you for sloppy camera technique. I have been the camera a lot over the last few weeks to sort of tune myself into the correct handling. But in the main if you are using f 1.8 to f 2.8 primes or modest zooms for APS cameras, OS or non OS is not a big factor.

I have been using my Minolta 100-300 APO D lens as well and this does require more careful handing when being used hand held. As has been commented on in various forums by the time you get to 24 MP the old rule of thumb of 1/ effective lens length is not that valid ( not that it was enough when shooting ISO 25-50 films for max quality anyway ). Even at 1/1000 I consider the shots I was getting when using a decent tree branch or wall as support were better than the purely hand held. But here I am talking about some pixel peeping rather than printing out 6x4 or even A4 to give to family and friends. Keeping the shutter speed as high as possible together with a decent panning and camera technique should still get you decent results.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated. I am looking at NEX as a "family" camera with adapters for me to play with my lenses. My wife has always complained that family does not have a simple camera handy to just point and shoot without looking intimidating. She is actually warming up to my old Dimage A2 of late. A light weight, easy to use video/still camera might do the trick.

With best regards,
Sury
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I may have sounded a bit negative but I was trying to make the point that the Nex 7 is like the Leica cameras and the new Nikon D800/800E in being really serious kit. You need to put the hard yards into them to get the most out of them. The 7 is twice the price of the 5n and this is probably a better choice for most people. Although in comparison to the Nikon 800E it's a steal. :D

I do have a collection of MD Minolta lenses as well as C/Y mount Contax lenses and as a number of my old cameras are dying on me, the Nex is an almost ideal replacement for me. I say almost as I would really like something like the rumoured hybrid FF that SAR has mentioned. Although not too soon as my bank balance couldn't take it.

Another plus for the Nex has been using it as a "plug and play" sensor unit on my larger and heavier lenses such as my 70-400 zooms lens. Its all very well having the A 850 with the 70-400 and a largish tripod and head when there is a convenient car park or a roadside lay by in easy walking distance ! But if you are facing an afternoon cross country hike to get where you want to be then any reduction in volume and weight becomes noticeable.
sury

Unread post by sury »

I took it as an useful information rather than a disadvantage. Having few MD lenses, and couple of M42, I am not at all uncomfortable with the
situations you have described. Your last comment is more enlightening, having a 24MP sensor, with about half the weight of the body, sounds
very useful weight reduction to carry, to me. The ability to use different lenses is another aspect that is very attractive since my friends have
Nikon and Canon outfits. I can "borrow" lenses from them. :wink:

Sury