Do you still use your REALLY old lenses?

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Do you still use your REALLY old lenses?

Unread post by artington »

Cogito wrote:Suri, nice to see some other lenses still working! Good colour, good clarity, good focus. Nice to see that such a new sophisticated camera can still use such unsophisticated lenses. Is it the camera? Is it the lens? Or maybe just a combination of 2 excellent items?
The examples shown all use an adapter without glass. It is no coincidence that the images are all at close focus. It is not possible to focus MD lenses to infinity on an alpha mount cameras without an adapter which includes an additional lens. This piece of glass will inevitably be of lower quality than any of the lens elements and will easily be the limiting factor on image quality. So MD lenses cannot be used successfully on alpha mount cameras except at short focusing distances. This phenomenon is a result ofthe differences in flange to focal plane distance of MD and Alpha mounts. The latter is greater. However, MD lenses can be used very successfully on E-mount (NEX) cameras because the flange to focal plane distance of the latter is 18mm compared with 43.5 mm on the MD mount.

Theissue is described (for Canon FD on EOS but the principle is the same) in this article.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eo ... s_EOS.html
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

You are absolutely right about glass less adapter. FWIW, the third example I posted was with glass adapter.
I can post more examples from my archives.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Following discussion and advice on this thread I picked up a Minolta MD 135mm f/2.8 in very good condition. I have had a good play with it on the Nex 5 and I'm delighted. Here is a test shot from yesterday.

2012 Family - Blowing bubbles 2 by Birm, on Flickr

I really like the built-in hood, lovely MF action, and build quality (even has nice 'velvet' covering on the inside of the rear of the lens), and of course shaprness. The contrast/detail seems very similar to my MD 50mm f/1.4 and this picture is perhaps a bit over processes/sharpened as I just applied my normal settings as used with my SAL and SEL lenses. It requires a PP re-think.

I also picked up some Paragon MD extension tubes - see the Macro and Flowers threads for these examples.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Excellent, Birma. Great pic and a great lens. I suspect the Minolta AF 135/2.8, also with integral sliding hood, is closely related. It is another excellent lens and worth picking up if you are using a Sony / Minolta DSLR / SLT - i had great use of it with my (now sold) A700 in low light theatre conditions but I guess you wd not be popular doing that with a NEX-5 with it's illuminated LCD.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Artington :) That is a good point regarding the rear LCD in theatre type conditions.

My search in the 85 mm range for primes has highlighted that this is not a 'bargain basement' focal length :shock: . The Sony SAM f/2.8 new is about the cheapest thing with this focal length. The Samyang MF new in alpha mount is just a bit more and of course is faster at f/1.4.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

The KM 85/1.4 G(D) is a wonderful lens and can be found for a lot less than the Sony Zeiss version but is quite close in quality. Of course, it's still not a cheap lens! Personally I love it but it really is best on full frame. For 1.5 crop the Minolta 50/1.4 is a good bet or, for the NEX, get the MD equivalent.

http://www.lenstip.com/123.1-article-A_ ... f_1.4.html

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps- ... olta_85_14
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Is it the quality of the lens or the princess' beauty that we are admiring? Tilly is lovely and very very beautiful (be sure to tell her that for me). Well done Birma.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

artington wrote:The KM 85/1.4 G(D) is a wonderful lens and can be found for a lot less than the Sony Zeiss version but is quite close in quality. Of course, it's still not a cheap lens! Personally I love it but it really is best on full frame. For 1.5 crop the Minolta 50/1.4 is a good bet or, for the NEX, get the MD equivalent.

http://www.lenstip.com/123.1-article-A_ ... f_1.4.html

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps- ... olta_85_14
Thanks Artington - I'll keep my eyes open.
Dr. Harout wrote:Is it the quality of the lens or the princess' beauty that we are admiring? Tilly is lovely and very very beautiful (be sure to tell her that for me). Well done Birma.
Thanks Doc :) - I will be sure to tell her!
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I just bought a Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1:1.7 to put on my Nex3 and if you're in for a fast fifty for cheap, this is what you are looking for!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Congratulations Mark - I bet it is a real pleasure to manually focus with :)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Birma wrote:Thanks guys. I really appreciate the suggestions. I will keep a look out for the 85/1.7 and 135/2.8.

If you'll excuse the further requests for info, any experience with MD extension tubes, especially on the 50s and tele lenses?
Hi Birma,
People who knows said the Minolta 105mm f2.5 is "the good one"
It is actually shorter and lighter than the 135mm f2.8

For the 200mm, I have and old MC f3.5 that performs quite well (but I have not tried it on the NEX7 yet) and the MD f4, that is shorter and lighter. The MC f3.5 will be cheaper...

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I was avoiding this forum for a while (I'm still wandering what the OP meant by "really old", since the lenses he mentioned are "younger than me", and I don't fell very old. Or old at all...

So my recommendation on the Minolta 105 f2.5 is useless since Birma already got the 135 f2.8 (Nice portrait BTW)
In your quest for the 85mm, I think it is more interesting to have the new Sony 85mm F2.8 for 250$, than looking for one (overpriced) on eBay.

There is an interesting Minolta MC 58mm f1.4 (30$ on eBay) that becomes a 85mm on APS. Wide open is soft, but at f2.8 is great -if you have a nice copy: keep in mind that this is a very old lens...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Birma wrote:Congratulations Mark - I bet it is a real pleasure to manually focus with :)
Yes it is. The focus ring is a bit stiff though.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

pakodominguez wrote:So my recommendation on the Minolta 105 f2.5 is useless since Birma already got the 135 f2.8 (Nice portrait BTW)
In your quest for the 85mm, I think it is more interesting to have the new Sony 85mm F2.8 for 250$, than looking for one (overpriced) on eBay.
Thanks for the feedback Pako. I agree that the SAM 85 f/2.8 is probably the way to go. Kevin B has posted many nice shots (here and on Flickr) with this lens.
mvanrheenen wrote:Yes it is. The focus ring is a bit stiff though.

Mark
Hi Mark - that's a shame; if you like the lens I would keep looking for an example with a smoother action. For me it makes the whole MF experience much better.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Good one of Tilly Birma, the MF lens and NEX is doing a good job...can the camera and lens combo be moved back and forth to get focus? without using the focus collar?
Greg