NEX-7 article finally up

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: NEX-7 article finally up

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Birma - this is the real problem Sony has given me over the last three or four years. At one point, when we only had the A700 to choose from, there was no conflict - it was used for everything. The A900 forced a decision whether or not to use full frame for any given job or trip, but 24 megapixels helped decide that. Then immediately there were issues with lesser cameras having better features, 14 or 16 megapixel sensors, live view, video. Then it got even more complex with NEX models offering better quality and higher resolution, and at the same time, the apparent withdrawal from the OVF market.

It now seems sometimes that I need every single camera made by Sony to get everything I might want.

David
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Birma - this is the real problem Sony has given me over the last three or four years. At one point, when we only had the A700 to choose from, there was no conflict - it was used for everything. The A900 forced a decision whether or not to use full frame for any given job or trip, but 24 megapixels helped decide that. Then immediately there were issues with lesser cameras having better features, 14 or 16 megapixel sensors, live view, video. Then it got even more complex with NEX models offering better quality and higher resolution, and at the same time, the apparent withdrawal from the OVF market.

It now seems sometimes that I need every single camera made by Sony to get everything I might want.

David
Maybe it's time to change system :) . Seriously, this is an issue because the lack of weather-proofing and (currently) 16-50 on the NEX argues for the A77. But that doesn't have the compact dimensions nor the ability to use legacy lenses. And neither fits in the pocket so the RX-100 may be needed too. Can't really see where this leaves the a99' though, as the other three seem to cover everything except extreme wide-angle.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Maybe it's time to change system :)
What system do you recommend to resolve the issues highlighted by David or was this just a joke Artington?
I for one have settled on three systems some time ago.
LX5 when around and only wanting to carry a camera on the belt.
NEX-5 with 16mm. W/A converter, 18-55 and 55-210 zooms when needing more "reach" but wanting a light and compact bag.
A580 with a mixture of Tamron 10-24, CZ 16-80, Sony 18-250 and Tamron 70-300 new model. Also have now a Tamron 18-270 new model I may use instead of the Sony. For my type of video the A580 with 18-250 is doing fine as I don't really need AF.
You can go on and on spending money on new cameras, lenses and PS/LR upgrades and I doubt the the increase in quality by investing more will help me now. Still keep A350 and A550 and will not part with these as Sony OVF models are history now.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Having sold my NEX-5 kit two months ago, after spending an hour reviewing the files from the NEX-3, NEX-5, NEX-5n, and NEX-7 I've just bought a refurb NEX-5n body again from WEX. I will not be buying ANY accessories for it!

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/07/1 ... at-a-cost/

Completed writing up the NEX-5n - too late, maybe, but there's a big point overall about the accessory business.

Although I planned to sell the Tamron 18-200mm, I have been very impressed by its performance on the NEX-7 (other than issues of startup and delays, which have little to do with the lens - they affect the 16mm just the same). After trying it on the NEX-3 body, I'll keep it and try it on the NEX-5n. But I may sell it and get the 50mm f/1.8 OSS.

Teaming up the A77 and the 5n makes much more sense, as the 5n takes over to do available light stuff. The 3 does this pretty well too but I realise the shutter sound of the 5n is quieter and a lot of my available light stuff is in places where I don't want to be noticed.

David
alphaomega
Viceroy

Teaming up the A77 and the 5n makes much more sense, as the 5n takes over to do available light stuff. The 3 does this pretty well too but I realise the shutter sound of the 5n is quieter and a lot of my available light stuff is in places where I don't want to be noticed.
So David has finally arrived at a usable combination of A77 and NEX-5N. It is regrettable that Sony are not yet able to address obvious deficiencies in their otherwise interesting offerings. Having gone through I don't know how many Sony cameras he still has to put up with an A77 with a totally inadequate buffer among other things. Whilst the current buffer might be adequate for the A65 pricing level surely Sony must have realised that mikeriach is right
The only camera issue was the buffer. Simply insufficient for longer bursts of RAW+JPG. The spec says upto 11 frames and up to 13 RAW only before the dreaded lockout.
I met a media shooter using the 70-200G and 300G and he said exactly the same, needs a bigger buffer.
Otherwise he was also very happy.
For the money the A77 buffer should have been 2 to three times as large without question.
I also sympathise with his grumble over how easy it is to change the NEX-5N settings. I don't know how many times I have changed the +/- exposure settings on my NEX-5without knowing about it.
Obvious things, but Sony seem to be totally blind to these niggles. Whilst I might understand that a small camera like the 3 and 5 series cannot accommodate a DSLR type flash I fail to understand why you need a separate mike for the 3 and 5 series. Surely a connector could have been incorporated so that an Alpha mike could be used on both series.
I know other people disagree, but I rate the RX100 a no no because of the lens starting at 28mm. There are rumours about a LX7 from Panasonic. If it comes out with a larger sensor ~16Mp and a lens starting at 24mm as is the case with LX5 I may be tempted to trade in my LX5 if dimensions are the same or smaller.
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

I've returned to basics with my NEX-7 coupled with the new Sigma 30mm prime and folding rubber lens hood, a small package with a big performance. That matches the quality my a900 is capable of. I try to resist the temptation of all the endless intermediate models. As a Minolta user from the 7000i onwards and then jumped to Canon when Minolta got left behind in the digital stakes. My Sony camera path has been - a100, a900, NEX-7. Glad I kept my Minolta glass and I am hoping the next full frame camera gets rid of any mirrors and anti aliasing screens and no longer looks like a DSLR. Not really interested in bells and whistles either.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Having just sort of berated Sony for their omissions on the A77 and NEX-5N I just "wandered" off to ebay to look at NEX-5N offers as I have decided not to purchase a NEX-7 and instead go for a NEX-5N with all its faults (if I could find a good offer).
I found this irresistible offer (at least for me) of a new NEX-5N in a box with lens removed at £349, Sony UK warranty and £50 cash back as well (as long as invoice is dated on or before 18 July.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390440459318? ... 1438.l2649
Still two left as at writing.
Can't beat that I think. Many years of annoyance await me over the accidental setting of +/- exposures. At least I will have two original Sony batteries that will work in the NEX-5N and the third party ones will be used in the NEX-5. I wish someone in China would do a cheap converter that would enable use of my Alpha mike in the NEX 5 cameras.
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

I'm looking for something for something I could carry around in my pocket for those quick shots and video. The 5N looks promising, but I'd need the lenses. So good as that deal is, I don't think it's for me unless I can find a cheap lens adapter, too.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Headcell wrote:I'm looking for something for something I could carry around in my pocket for those quick shots and video. The 5N looks promising, but I'd need the lenses. So good as that deal is, I don't think it's for me unless I can find a cheap lens adapter, too.
RX-100
Vidgamer
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Vidgamer »

alphaomega wrote:
Maybe it's time to change system :)
What system do you recommend to resolve the issues highlighted by David or was this just a joke Artington?
Was wondering that myself. One thing that struck me as I've shopped for cameras is that there really is no perfect camera. They all have trade offs. And yet, within a class of camera, they all take pretty similar photos. So you really have to consider sometimes esoteric details as well, such as handling, etc. One thing I have always liked about the Sony products is that they are responsive, eventhe P&S cameras. Most non-DSLR cameras are plauged with lag.
I for one have settled on three systems some time ago.
LX5 when around and only wanting to carry a camera on the belt.
For me, this is the iPhone. ;-) We also have a couple of other cameras that are used occasionally, but the iPhone is the camera I always have handy. It is not bad for what it is.
NEX-5 with 16mm. W/A converter, 18-55 and 55-210 zooms when needing more "reach" but wanting a light and compact bag.
When I realized I was getting good results from the Nex, I went all-in (well, mostly). I rarely use the DSLR, although there are a few things it still does better. It's more frequent that I want something lighter and smaller, so the Nex suits me better overall. I live with the compromises.
A580 with a mixture of Tamron 10-24, CZ 16-80, Sony 18-250 and Tamron 70-300 new model. Also have now a Tamron 18-270 new model I may use instead of the Sony. For my type of video the A580 with 18-250 is doing fine as I don't really need AF.
You can go on and on spending money on new cameras, lenses and PS/LR upgrades and I doubt the the increase in quality by investing more will help me now. Still keep A350 and A550 and will not part with these as Sony OVF models are history now.
In addition, we bought a dedicated camcorder, because of the ease-of-use.

At some point, we should be reaching the point of "diminishing returns" where we're not getting all that better images just by buying the latest camera. I think we may be close to that point, at least those of us who are perhaps not terribly demanding.

Just to give the Nex (and myself) a challenge, I just photographed an airshow. Still processing the results. Not as many keepers as with DSLR, but not bad.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Birma - this is the real problem Sony has given me over the last three or four years. At one point, when we only had the A700 to choose from, there was no conflict - it was used for everything. The A900 forced a decision whether or not to use full frame for any given job or trip, but 24 megapixels helped decide that. Then immediately there were issues with lesser cameras having better features, 14 or 16 megapixel sensors, live view, video. Then it got even more complex with NEX models offering better quality and higher resolution, and at the same time, the apparent withdrawal from the OVF market.

David
This is because Sony doesn't have a good roadmap of it's camera system, just a hodge-podge of new models they're looking to put into old lines - 3/5/7/9.

They could have taken both the 700 and 900, added newer sensors, firmware and Live View/ moveable rear screens, and produced a great upgrade without much investment. Instead they've gone on a completely different path, with nothing remaining of the legacy digital line for those that want it, and wonder why they're not gaining market share.

An up-sell to an improved model is always easier than a cross-sell to a model so different it's hardly the same thing. Selling the guy the 4 door when he last bought a 2 door is easier than telling him your company now only sells pick-up trucks!

Alpha system, it was good to know you, too bad your owners are trying to kill you off.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
alphaomega
Viceroy

This is because Sony doesn't have a good roadmap of it's camera system, just a hodge-podge of new models they're looking to put into old lines - 3/5/7/9.

They could have taken both the 700 and 900, added newer sensors, firmware and Live View/ moveable rear screens, and produced a great upgrade without much investment. Instead they've gone on a completely different path, with nothing remaining of the legacy digital line for those that want it, and wonder why they're not gaining market share.

An up-sell to an improved model is always easier than a cross-sell to a model so different it's hardly the same thing. Selling the guy the 4 door when he last bought a 2 door is easier than telling him your company now only sells pick-up trucks!

Alpha system, it was good to know you, too bad your owners are trying to kill you off.
Sounds as if Dusty is heading towards another camera brand. Basically he is right in his analysis. I also wondered why Sony did not pick up the A700 and added the A580 sensor, tilting screen, LV and HD video and presented a very capable upgrade at an earlier date and retained OVF & EVF alternatives at the socalled "enthusiast" level of camera offering.
Anyway "I am not for turning" to paraphrase Margaret Thatcher. I am firmly embedded in Sony cameras and my NEX-5N arrived this morning. I just cannot believe my luck in acquiring a brand new NEX-5N body at £349.90 delivered with £50 Sony cash back to be subtracted - net £299.90 delivered. Unbelievable. So I now have a smallish bag with a NEX-5N fitted with 18-55 Zoom and a NEX-5 with 16mm pancake ready for action and a W/A adapter plus 55-210mm zoom also in the bag. My LA-EA2 adapter will additionally allow for use of Alpha lenses. Would be restricted to Sony 18-250 or Tamron 18-270 for video only. All we need now is some sunshine here in Scotland.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I have calmed down. No more anxious waiting for new cameras. The 5N is just brilliant in most aspects, it just looses out badly in AF speed compared to a SLR. Easy to use, fast operation, excellent picture quality and auto-ISO till 3200 is perfect indoors, museums etc. I had the 5 before and its a different camera. I no longer want a 7, maybe nothing at all this year, its good enough for me. Maybe a lens. Also have the Tamron 18-200, good lens, excellent VC, less massive than the Sony. No more worries to decide what to take out. Its NEX 5N + 18-55 or 18-200 and I am sure I come home with good pics. I do miss the A700 sometimes, but overall the 5N is what suits me well.