Peleng 8mm fisheye?

Discussion of lenses, brand or independent, uses and merits
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
harveyzone
Oligarch

Peleng 8mm fisheye?

Unread post by harveyzone »

Hi there,

Has anyone here attempted to use a Peleng 8mm fisheye on either a Sony A100 or a Minolta Film cameras (I have a dynax 5 and a 7000i and would like to be able to use it on one or both)? I would be interested in your experiences.

I have seen one advertised as being for Minolta AF mount. I think the lens has a native T mount and is often supplied with an M42 adapter. Do the Minolta fit ones come with a direct T mount to Minolta AF adapter?

I am tempted to try one, but have my concerns about focus to infinity (I have an M42 adapter that seems to focus to infinity with the somewhat longer lenses that I have) and the mirror hitting the backof the lens on the larger mirrored film cameras.

Anyone here tried them with any success?
--
Tom
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Mine was OK but after a few weeks of use, stopped focusing on infinity. I attempted to correct it, but the best it would do no matter what adaptors I use was 20cm focus. It was approx 0.3mm wrong in focus position. In the end I chucked the dismantled parts in the office bin rather than waste any more time.

David
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Mine was OK but after a few weeks of use, stopped focusing on infinity. I attempted to correct it, but the best it would do no matter what adaptors I use was 20cm focus. It was approx 0.3mm wrong in focus position. In the end I chucked the dismantled parts in the office bin rather than waste any more time.
That sounds a bit dissapointing and has put me off the idea somewhat! Did you try it on a film camera at all for the full 180 degree image or just on digital?

Anyone else here tried it with any joy?
--
Tom
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

Hi Harvey,

I've seen these lenses on Ebay and wondered about them also.

I've used a Sigma 16mm f-2.8 on a Maxxum 9 with great results, but on the 7D digital it looses it's uniqueness with the 1.5 sensor factor. It becomes a 24mm.
Doug
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

harveyzone wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:Mine was OK but after a few weeks of use, stopped focusing on infinity. I attempted to correct it, but the best it would do no matter what adaptors I use was 20cm focus. It was approx 0.3mm wrong in focus position. In the end I chucked the dismantled parts in the office bin rather than waste any more time.
That sounds a bit dissapointing and has put me off the idea somewhat! Did you try it on a film camera at all for the full 180 degree image or just on digital?
I just used it on digital. I might one day get another - optically they are fine - but only if I was dead sure it would focus through infinity and beyond.

David
andrew_broadfoot
Acolyte

Unread post by andrew_broadfoot »

Sigma has an 8mm fisheye for Sony/Minolta mount. I believe the F-stop is 3.5 and with a $900.00 US suggested price seems a bit pricy
Have a great day!