RX100 autofocus

For all talk about digital compacts or EVF-SLRs in the Minolta, Konica Minolta or relevant Sony ranges
Philip
Oligarch

RX100 autofocus

Unread post by Philip »

A question for all you nice new shiny RX100 owners out there: how fast/accurate is the autofocus on the RX100? I am considering getting one with an underwater housing for use when diving but am concerned that the autofocus might not be up the job. Any experiences of tracking moving subjects and focus in lower light levels please....

Thanks.

Philip
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: RX100 autofocus

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi,
AF is fast enough, in "good" light, in order to make it a perfect street shooter's camera (shutter lag is almost nonexistent)
In low light, well, all the cameras have the same problem.
At close focus, AF can be tricky if you are not shooting at the wide end.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Thank's Pako. Shutter lag is a huge problem, particularly with fish turning round between framing and shutter actuation, resulting in some wonderful pictures of rear ends! I don't do much really close up work and AF speed and focus lock isn't particularly good with my current setup. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Philip
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I guess you'll work most of the time in wide angle, and the RX100 lens is REALLY good at the wide end.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Yes, mostly wideangle work, some at very close range. Macro for invertebrates is important too :D

Philip