Autumn on the Isle of Skye

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Autumn on the Isle of Skye

Unread post by Birma »

I hope you'll forgive another stream from a sojourn on the Isle of Skye :)

The day started very damp and grey but then we had much more interesting light this afternoon.

From a short work outside Portree, the capital of the Isle of Skye. Shot with Nex 5 with SEL 16.

Skye Autumn 2012 - Below Ben Chracaig by Birm, on Flickr

Extensive searches have failed to locate the crock of gold :) . Sony A700 with Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro

Skye Autumn 2012 - House at the end of the rainbow by Birm, on Flickr
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Autumn on the Isle of Skye

Unread post by Birma »

Looking out to sea and the spectacular clouds. A700 with the Sigma 70-300

Skye Autumn 2012 - Idrigill Point by Birm, on Flickr

Another view with the A700 and the Sigma.

Skye Autumn 2012 - Healabhal Mhor by Birm, on Flickr
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Oh wow, the shot of the rainbow on that house!!! That has to be a one in a million shot Andy.

The first shot has nice colors and clarity. The third has pleasing and a bit tense feel to it, as if a storm is coming. The layers of the fourth image give a good feel of depth. I do find the colors a bit dull.

Mark
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Quite a variety there Birma and all very atmospheric, I like the rainbow shot especially also, pity about the crock of gold, maybe it’s at the other end? :lol: I quite enjoy the views from Skye even though the light is sometimes (often?) in an overcast condition.
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you Mark and Greg :)

Mark - I agree that I think they need a bit more contrast. Hopefully we'll get a few more rays of sunshine today.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Birma wrote:Thank you Mark and Greg :)

Mark - I agree that I think they need a bit more contrast. Hopefully we'll get a few more rays of sunshine today.
If you do, please share the results with us. From what I gather from all you images, the isle has to be a beautiful place!

Mark
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Always like your Skye shots and these are great!
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Wonderful images.
You are one productive fellow.
Could the last one be effective in a portrait crop with the house at lower left and the largest part of the mountain as the top focal point?
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Birma, you should offer all of your shots from the island for the official tourist website - as long as they recommend getting their on your in-laws boats!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Andy,
The three (#1, #2 and #4) are so dramatic, the #3 looks kind of flat. It would have been quite an atmospheric as
Greg put it, had it been on its own. So it is your fault to overwhelm our senses with the aforementioned three. :lol:

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

I think #1 is really sharp!
A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you Caporip, Jbtaylor, Dusty, Suty and Ken - all comments much appreciated :)

I will try your suggestion JB.

Hi Dusty - I'd be very happy if the tourist board wanted to use any of my shots (some will probably find their way on to the in-law's website ;) ). The Isle of Skye is one of the UK's photographic hot-spots and so I think my shots have some very, very tough competition. You can't pick up a photo magazine in the UK without finding a picture of Skye in it (even Cameracraft has a picture of Eliean Donan!). It is just the sort of place were you can't keep the camera in the bag for very long :)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Here are some pictures from Monday. All with the Nex 5 plus LA-EA2 adapter and CZ 16-80.

There were some sunny spells amongst the showers.

Skye Autumn 2012 - Ullinish Sunshine by Birm, on Flickr

We walked to a tidal island called Oronsay (which means "tidal island" and so there are a lot of islands called this in the Hebrides!). This is taken from the island looking back across the causeway (low tide!) towards Skye.

Skye Autumn 2012 - Oronsay Causeway by Birm, on Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

This is taken from the tidal causeway looking out across the loch. Just after I took this an otter surfaced less than 100 yards from the beach with a small flat fish, one quick bite to finish it off, and then it must have sensed us and it swam off. Too far for the 80mm, and too quick for me sadly. We saw one on Sunday as well, at the bottom of the croft running across the field back to the burn. They are becoming more common than eagles :) !

Skye Autumn 2012 - Loch Bracadale Shore by Birm, on Flickr

This sort of fauna is easier to photograph. These three ewes seemed to be having some major disagreement. There was a lot head butting and staring.

Skye Autumn 2012 - Woolly Face-off by Birm, on Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Lovely compositions Birma, the processing effect might be just a tad strong for me to get used too right away, sortof HDR-ish, I still like the scenes in their own right very much though, including the mysterious ‘conference’ at the end. I wonder about the causeway across to the island as well, it looks like a place you need a tide chart handy, just in case…also what are the white patches…foam or sand?
Greg