It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 pm

Forum rules


No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.



Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 pm 
Oligarch

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 131
Sunday morning I tried out the A99 for the first time. It's a great camera! I'm really going to enjoy it. Just as well, because my A900 has already gone.

Compared to the A900:

1) Focusing is quicker.

2) High ISO is amazing, I set auto ISO to 1600, but 3200 and even 6400 are workable. I'd say it's on a par with the Fuji X-Pro1.

3) EVF is fantastic, especially with focus peaking enabled. You can see instantly where focusing is. Also, I have set the JPG mode to B&W, so I am viewing a B&W shot when I compose. This helps a lot, because you can see the lines and shapes without colour distractions. Of course, the RAW file is still in colour.

4) The downside is battery usage. I suppose because of the EVF and using the LCD as well (which you can disable), I used a full battery in a few hours. The vertical grip is a must, otherwise you'll always be changing batteries. Also, the VG lets you add two batteries in addition to the battery in the camera, so with the VG you probably have the same amount of usage as with the A900 and VG.

Here's a link to the first shots, starting here. All taken with the CZ135mm F/1.8:

http://mikekatz.smugmug.com/Mikes-Photos/Seasons/2012-Fall/25798824_Jd8bjf#!i=2213303584&k=SBTRcFg

Click the larger photo to see it at maximum size on your screen, or mouse over the larger photo and choose a size.

_________________
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm 
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
I looked at most of the shots. Amazing. TFS.

_________________
A99 + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 pm 
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:38 pm
Posts: 5741
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Oh, did I see congratulations? :wink:
Let it serve you with utmost pleasure. :D

_________________
A99 + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm 
Grand Caliph
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:29 am
Posts: 451
Location: Aberdeen
I'm not listening, I'm not listening, I'm not listening..............
Otherwise I might want one.

_________________
Some Sony stuff (and a couple of Sigma bits)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 pm 
Oligarch

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 131
Dr. Harout wrote:
Oh, did I see congratulations? :wink:
Let it serve you with utmost pleasure. :D


Thanks very much!

_________________
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:46 pm 
Oligarch

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 131
mikeriach wrote:
I'm not listening, I'm not listening, I'm not listening..............
Otherwise I might want one.


LOL! I won't say much more then.

_________________
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos - Gallery Updated
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:41 am 
Oligarch

Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:07 pm
Posts: 131
Mike-Photos wrote:
Sunday morning I tried out the A99 for the first time. It's a great camera! I'm really going to enjoy it. Just as well, because my A900 has already gone.

Compared to the A900:

1) Focusing is quicker.

2) High ISO is amazing, I set auto ISO to 1600, but 3200 and even 6400 are workable. I'd say it's on a par with the Fuji X-Pro1.

3) EVF is fantastic, especially with focus peaking enabled. You can see instantly where focusing is. Also, I have set the JPG mode to B&W, so I am viewing a B&W shot when I compose. This helps a lot, because you can see the lines and shapes without colour distractions. Of course, the RAW file is still in colour.

4) The downside is battery usage. I suppose because of the EVF and using the LCD as well (which you can disable), I used a full battery in a few hours. The vertical grip is a must, otherwise you'll always be changing batteries. Also, the VG lets you add two batteries in addition to the battery in the camera, so with the VG you probably have the same amount of usage as with the A900 and VG.

Here's a link to the first shots, starting here. All taken with the CZ135mm F/1.8:

http://mikekatz.smugmug.com/Mikes-Photos/Seasons/2012-Fall/25798824_Jd8bjf#!i=2213303584&k=SBTRcFg

Click the larger photo to see it at maximum size on your screen, or mouse over the larger photo and choose a size.


My WB was wrong on the photos, copied from each other and very yellow. I re-uploaded the gallery.

_________________
Mike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:34 am 
Grand Caliph

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 am
Posts: 469
Location: Northam, Western Australia
There have been reports on the Nikon D600 with dust in the sensor issues requiring a wet clean - Nikon Rumors and now DPR. Anyone used the A99 enough to comment on their experiences with dust.

Yes I know just because the cameras share the same family of sensor units and the same company makes the shutter units that doesn't mean the A99 will have problems. Especially as the A99 has a better body construction specification.

Its just that living in a semi-arid to arid geographical area with plenty of strong winds, dust, sand and salt I am aware of what problems can occur. It also means that when I get my next Nikon camera body ( 2014 ? ) then it seems like I will need to go for a D800 body.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:14 pm
Posts: 6169
Location: Kelso, Scotland
No dust spotted on the sensor yet for the D600, but dust on its focusing screen already - one spot. A99 - no dust yet. Both in use for about the same time, only one week.

David

_________________
http://www.photoclubalpha.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 am 
Imperial Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 559
A Time-Lapse Showing How Quickly Dust Accumulates on Nikon D600 Sensors

Source: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/21/a-t ... 0-sensors/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:42 am 
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:48 pm
Posts: 3204
There are more and more threads appearing about this. I'm not entirely shocked myself based on my own personal experience of Nikon's QC.
It seems recent models/production has had problems (D800 AF issues) I bet Nikon keep quiet on this one, just like they did on the D800 fiasco.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:54 am 
Tower of Babel
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 6134
Location: Townsville, Qld. Australia
What I'm sort of interested in is can you get a RAW file when using DT lenses on the A99? I've glanced through the specs before but now I can't remember if that is possible.
Greg


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 1:14 pm
Posts: 6169
Location: Kelso, Scotland
Yes, you actually get a cropped, 10MP raw file if you use a DT lens or set APS-C crop.

You can't use the 'zoom' function the same way as it only works in JPEG modes, but if you set APS-C crop ON in the menu, you get a 10 megapixel camera with an impressive full frame EVF of course, along with cropped raws and faster shooting rates.

I'm going to have to check the A77 now, but in movie mode, there's a brilliant zoom function on the A99 which can take you up to 4X (the final 3X-4X stage appears to involve undetectable interpolation) using electronic control with a very smooth moderate speed action. So you can get cropped raw stills, full frame or APS-C based HD video, and then go beyond the 1.5X video crop with smooth digital zoom.

You can also access 1.4X, 1.5X (by crop), 2X and a higher 'zoom' in JPEG stills.

The EVF makes all these functions work without any apparent effect on viewing except the strange phenomenon of the AF points enlarging as you zoom.

David

_________________
http://www.photoclubalpha.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: First A99 Photos
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:39 pm 
Tower of Babel
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 3:25 pm
Posts: 6134
Location: Townsville, Qld. Australia
I hate to say this but I think I’m growing fondish of the A99. It’ll pass I hope. I’ll just keep repeating...three batteries are heavy, three batteries are heavy, that should do the trick, that and the 3000 coconuts I haven’t got. :lol:
Greg


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
twilightBB Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net