First A99 Photos

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

First A99 Photos

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Sunday morning I tried out the A99 for the first time. It's a great camera! I'm really going to enjoy it. Just as well, because my A900 has already gone.

Compared to the A900:

1) Focusing is quicker.

2) High ISO is amazing, I set auto ISO to 1600, but 3200 and even 6400 are workable. I'd say it's on a par with the Fuji X-Pro1.

3) EVF is fantastic, especially with focus peaking enabled. You can see instantly where focusing is. Also, I have set the JPG mode to B&W, so I am viewing a B&W shot when I compose. This helps a lot, because you can see the lines and shapes without colour distractions. Of course, the RAW file is still in colour.

4) The downside is battery usage. I suppose because of the EVF and using the LCD as well (which you can disable), I used a full battery in a few hours. The vertical grip is a must, otherwise you'll always be changing batteries. Also, the VG lets you add two batteries in addition to the battery in the camera, so with the VG you probably have the same amount of usage as with the A900 and VG.

Here's a link to the first shots, starting here. All taken with the CZ135mm F/1.8:

http://mikekatz.smugmug.com/Mikes-Photo ... &k=SBTRcFg

Click the larger photo to see it at maximum size on your screen, or mouse over the larger photo and choose a size.
Mike
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: First A99 Photos

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I looked at most of the shots. Amazing. TFS.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Oh, did I see congratulations? :wink:
Let it serve you with utmost pleasure. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I'm not listening, I'm not listening, I'm not listening..............
Otherwise I might want one.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Dr. Harout wrote:Oh, did I see congratulations? :wink:
Let it serve you with utmost pleasure. :D
Thanks very much!
Mike
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

mikeriach wrote:I'm not listening, I'm not listening, I'm not listening..............
Otherwise I might want one.
LOL! I won't say much more then.
Mike
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Re: First A99 Photos - Gallery Updated

Mike-Photos wrote:Sunday morning I tried out the A99 for the first time. It's a great camera! I'm really going to enjoy it. Just as well, because my A900 has already gone.

Compared to the A900:

1) Focusing is quicker.

2) High ISO is amazing, I set auto ISO to 1600, but 3200 and even 6400 are workable. I'd say it's on a par with the Fuji X-Pro1.

3) EVF is fantastic, especially with focus peaking enabled. You can see instantly where focusing is. Also, I have set the JPG mode to B&W, so I am viewing a B&W shot when I compose. This helps a lot, because you can see the lines and shapes without colour distractions. Of course, the RAW file is still in colour.

4) The downside is battery usage. I suppose because of the EVF and using the LCD as well (which you can disable), I used a full battery in a few hours. The vertical grip is a must, otherwise you'll always be changing batteries. Also, the VG lets you add two batteries in addition to the battery in the camera, so with the VG you probably have the same amount of usage as with the A900 and VG.

Here's a link to the first shots, starting here. All taken with the CZ135mm F/1.8:

http://mikekatz.smugmug.com/Mikes-Photo ... &k=SBTRcFg

Click the larger photo to see it at maximum size on your screen, or mouse over the larger photo and choose a size.
My WB was wrong on the photos, copied from each other and very yellow. I re-uploaded the gallery.
Mike
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

There have been reports on the Nikon D600 with dust in the sensor issues requiring a wet clean - Nikon Rumors and now DPR. Anyone used the A99 enough to comment on their experiences with dust.

Yes I know just because the cameras share the same family of sensor units and the same company makes the shutter units that doesn't mean the A99 will have problems. Especially as the A99 has a better body construction specification.

Its just that living in a semi-arid to arid geographical area with plenty of strong winds, dust, sand and salt I am aware of what problems can occur. It also means that when I get my next Nikon camera body ( 2014 ? ) then it seems like I will need to go for a D800 body.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No dust spotted on the sensor yet for the D600, but dust on its focusing screen already - one spot. A99 - no dust yet. Both in use for about the same time, only one week.

David
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

A Time-Lapse Showing How Quickly Dust Accumulates on Nikon D600 Sensors

Source: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/11/21/a-t ... 0-sensors/
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

There are more and more threads appearing about this. I'm not entirely shocked myself based on my own personal experience of Nikon's QC.
It seems recent models/production has had problems (D800 AF issues) I bet Nikon keep quiet on this one, just like they did on the D800 fiasco.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

What I'm sort of interested in is can you get a RAW file when using DT lenses on the A99? I've glanced through the specs before but now I can't remember if that is possible.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Yes, you actually get a cropped, 10MP raw file if you use a DT lens or set APS-C crop.

You can't use the 'zoom' function the same way as it only works in JPEG modes, but if you set APS-C crop ON in the menu, you get a 10 megapixel camera with an impressive full frame EVF of course, along with cropped raws and faster shooting rates.

I'm going to have to check the A77 now, but in movie mode, there's a brilliant zoom function on the A99 which can take you up to 4X (the final 3X-4X stage appears to involve undetectable interpolation) using electronic control with a very smooth moderate speed action. So you can get cropped raw stills, full frame or APS-C based HD video, and then go beyond the 1.5X video crop with smooth digital zoom.

You can also access 1.4X, 1.5X (by crop), 2X and a higher 'zoom' in JPEG stills.

The EVF makes all these functions work without any apparent effect on viewing except the strange phenomenon of the AF points enlarging as you zoom.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I hate to say this but I think I’m growing fondish of the A99. It’ll pass I hope. I’ll just keep repeating...three batteries are heavy, three batteries are heavy, that should do the trick, that and the 3000 coconuts I haven’t got. :lol:
Greg