Canon users discuss SLT-A77

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Canon users discuss SLT-A77

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

:mrgreen:

I would not normally post this as you would expect the usual brand love/wars to come into play.
However I did note one interesting point.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/threa ... t-50336651

One poster suggests the life of the OLED viewfinder/colours might be limited which is interesting, and of course this could apply to LCD's too (backlight tends to go first) If that is a concern or not who can say.
There were some other expected responses such as tracking fast action with an EVF.
mvanrheenen

Re: Canon users discuss SLT-A77

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Always nice to see negative response from people who never used the equipment they comment on. Shortsighted folks those fanboys.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I experienced the brand/love war on another forum that focusses on 4thirds and M4T format. I gave up posting my views.
Over the years I have owned Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and now Sony and they all took/take very nice pictures.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Over the years I have owned Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and now Sony and they all took/take very nice pictures.
How right you are Classiccameras. A long time ago in digital speak (2005) I purchased a couple of Fuji E900 pocket cameras with 9Mp sensor. My wife has used it and in one of her books one of the E900 images covered A3 size with gusto. I love my new NEX-6 with the built-in EVF. It could never be made so small and capable with OVF covering the full zoom range. I have a back problem and Sony have revolutionised my photography. I still have Alpha equipment, namely A550/580 with CZ 16-80, Sony 18-250, Tamron 10-24 and FF 70-300 motorized. Mostly this lot stays at home. My bag consists now of NEX-6 with 16-50 pancake and NEX-5N with 16mm fitted with W/A converter. 55-210 zoom is loose in the bag. For everyday use my Panasonic LX5 has been cascaded to my son and replaced with Sony's RX100. My thanks go to Sony for having enabled me to increase the quality of picture making from a decreasing size and weight of equipment.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

bfitzgerald wrote:One poster suggests the life of the OLED viewfinder/colours might be limited which is interesting, and of course this could apply to LCD's too (backlight tends to go first) If that is a concern or not who can say.
With today's rate of exponential technological change, it would effectively be an antique before that ever happened. Who would keep one around long enough to find out?

Ed
Headcell
Initiate

Unread post by Headcell »

alphaomega, would you highly recommend the Nex?

I am selling my A580 as I much prefer the A57. Viewfinders I rarely use as I find the Sony OVFs are not suited to my bespectacled eyes (compared with Nikon and Canon). I could be tempted by a Nex, but which one...?
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

alphaomega, would you highly recommend the Nex?
Headcell, I started off with the NEX-5, which I have now sold after buying the NEX-5N and now the NEX-6 with the 18-50mm pancake. I am committed to NEX now because of the lighter weight and smaller size coupled with quality of images. I love the NEX-6 because of the quality produced by that upgraded 16Mp sensor and focus is faster than with the NEX-5 or 5N. I use the EVF most of the time. It is slightly darker than I expected but great when it is darker outside. You can see what you get. My recommendation is that you go and try one in a store before buying. Only downside I can see (at present) with the NEX-6 is the lack of an external microphone like what is available for the Alpha and NEX-5N/R. I suspect that one will follow as there are over 20 contact points in the new flash socket.