Nex-7 vs OM-D. A personal take

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: Nex-7 vs OM-D. A personal take

Unread post by alphaomega »

I saw today where the Olympus CEO said the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony.
Yes bakubo, I saw it on SAR as well, but not sure I understand the Yahoo translation.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/olympus- ... nsors-too/
I must admit that I am surprised that Sony are now into making 4/3 size sensors. Maybe they have just taken a "knife" to the NEX-7 24Mp sensor to make it 16Mp for 4/3.
I don't have any personal experience of Panasonic sensors other than those in Lumix LX2, 3 and 5. As stated before I am impressed by the performance of these and the quality of Jpegs out of camera. Sony must have decided to "buy" into this segment as they would have had to set up new "moulds" and must have lower production runs than Panasonic. Surely volume is a determinant of unit cost in this business because of the up front investment in equipment. On the other hand Sony have put money into Olympus so maybe it is a case of "I scratch your back and you scratch mine in return".
I also notice that some people are still thinking that Sony make the sensor for Nikon's V1 model. That is despite Thom Hogan denying it.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

By Thoms argument anything labelled as Nikon from CD's through printed instruction manuals and flashguns are all totally produced by Nikon if it has a Nikon logo on it. And the same goes for Microsoft, IBM, Ford, BMW etc if that argument is to be believed. Not all companies are that uptight as in the HiFi industry several companies actually say in their product information that they use Rotel transformers or even specify which Sabre models they use in their CD players, DVD players, DACs etc.

Sony makes all sorts of things including Apple iPhone camera units ( probably including other manufacturers bit and pieces as well) and you couldn't say that Apple and Sony aren't competitors in several brutal market segments. Sony has the battle scars and the red ink in the ledgers to prove it. If there is a manufacturing opportunity these corporations will look for them. Also the more product that Sony ship the quicker they realize their R & D and plant costs and deny their competitors the opportunity.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

alphaomega wrote:
I must admit that I am surprised that Sony are now into making 4/3 size sensors. Maybe they have just taken a "knife" to the NEX-7 24Mp sensor to make it 16Mp for 4/3.
I haven't given it much thought since I don't care that much who makes the sensors as long as the results are good. The E-M5 results are good. Sony is making good sensors as seen in lots of different cameras these days. I don't keep up with this stuff so much, but didn't I hear something about Sony investing some money in Olympus recently?
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I know a number of people who have moved over to the OM-D, and abandoned their DSLR's. It's not for everyone I have to say I'd agree about the handling which is pretty subjective on the OM-D or any other body come to that.
I think the appeal is for some shooters who have "by default" geared up with a DSLR system when they probably didn't really need one in the first place, some might have been better off with a premium bridge type model (take your pick) some better served with a decent compact or a CSC type camera.

I can't see myself going for one, or the micro 4/3 system because I really do need an SLR type camera for what I do. As for other options I'm still toying with the X100 idea.. I love the images Fuji produce even if I don't want to invest in another lens mount again. OM-D is also pretty pricey where I live it's not something I feel is worth that outlay. It must be the only camera I've seen that has not dropped one penny in the UK since launch..Oly are still asking £999 for it body only.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

OMD is still the number one on my list...for recommending a serious mirrorless to anyone else, though I must feel sinful to buy OMD after Nex6...
It is simply faster and has more options of prime lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:By the way, if you want to use your old 4/3 SHG lenses then you can use the MMF-3 adapter which allows them to be used with AF.
I expected this and it has been rumored, Miquel Àngel Garcia, manager of Olympus Spain seems to have confirmed it:

Olympus surprise: We will do the hybrid FT and MFT camera by end 2013

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-surpris ... a-anymore/

I would not be surprised at all for Sony to do the same as I wrote about many months ago.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not sure what hybrid 4/3 micro 4/3 means!
I see talk of decent AF for normal 4/3 lenses

Maybe it's to try to stop the flood of 4/3 users defecting to other mounts (I know quite a few who have moved due to no 4/3 bodies being released)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Not sure what hybrid 4/3 micro 4/3 means!
A body that can work well with both 4/3 mount lenses and m4/3 lenses. Good AF for both. Most likely an EVF, no mirror, PDAF on the sensor. An adaptor for 4/3 lenses. The same as a Sony hybrid E-mount and A-mount body. A long time ago I wrote about something similar for a Sony body.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Pretty good article about NEX, OM-D, Fuji, and mirrorless.

The best systems for walking around enjoying life and photography--simultaneously.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/20 ... 3469897534
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

An interesting read - thanks for posting that one Henry.

His name looks somewhat familiar but I don't remember checking out the site before. Quite an entertaining blog, especially as he shots Nex and Dslt :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma wrote:An interesting read - thanks for posting that one Henry.

His name looks somewhat familiar but I don't remember checking out the site before. Quite an entertaining blog, especially as he shots Nex and Dslt :)
If I remember correctly, Kirk Tuck is a photographer who adopted Sony lately, both NEX and SLT. As I recall he became an EVF-er. 8)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:His name looks somewhat familiar but I don't remember checking out the site before. Quite an entertaining blog, especially as he shots Nex and Dslt :)
From time to time someone posts a link to something he has written. Yesterday I saw this article of his posted and thought it was pretty good so I posted it here.

Yeah, I think he uses an A99, A77, A57, and maybe an A58 too. He has said he shoots a lot with a NEX 7 also. He is in Austin, Texas but I don't know him.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

bakubo wrote:
A body that can work well with both 4/3 mount lenses and m4/3 lenses. Good AF for both. Most likely an EVF, no mirror, PDAF on the sensor. An adaptor for 4/3 lenses. The same as a Sony hybrid E-mount and A-mount body. A long time ago I wrote about something similar for a Sony body.
Oh, the missus will be glad to hear this. She uses an EPL1 with Olympus MMC2 adapter for her top notch 4/3 mount lenses. AF is rather crappy with this combo however.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mvanrheenen wrote:Oh, the missus will be glad to hear this. She uses an EPL1 with Olympus MMC2 adapter for her top notch 4/3 mount lenses. AF is rather crappy with this combo however.
Yeah, I think lots of people with 4/3 lenses will be happy to see an updated body that can take full advantage of their lenses. Also, be able to use m4/3 lenses with it too. We'll see if they really do it, but for Olympus and Sony it both makes sense to have a hybrid body. With the NEX + A-mount adapter (the one with fast AF and mirror) they are almost there.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:
A body that can work well with both 4/3 mount lenses and m4/3 lenses. Good AF for both. Most likely an EVF, no mirror, PDAF on the sensor. An adaptor for 4/3 lenses.
Yeah, that is what the Olympus E-M1 turned out to be.