Christmas sales

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Christmas sales

Unread post by classiccameras »

I have just been down to my local Jessops for a last minute check to see if there were any deals and to check out what was on sale.

The Nikon glass cabinet was full to the brim with cameras and lenses including 3 new D3200 and a D7000. The Canon cabinet was the same, the CSC cabinet wich included Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung and Sony [just one NEX-5N and a few lenses] was also pretty well stacked. The Sony SLT cabinet had just 2 SLT cameras, a A37 and A57 and one zoom and a prime lens on display. I asked my mate who runs the shop what happened to all the Sony cameras and he said that's all they sent us and they have not sold 'yet'. Nikon and Canon sent us plenty of stock to keep the cabinets topped up, because they are selling. For goodness sake Sony, get your act together, its Christmas.

Merry Christmas to all
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Christmas sales

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not been into Jessops for a while I dislike being pounced on!
I think that it's just a lot easier for shops to shift the usual Canikon stuff, than other makers. I agree Sony do need to put more effort in, their marketing is weak lately and that doesn't help much.

But I don't think there is a way to force/encourage shops to stock Sony. And I would say the chances of finding an A99 is a real shop is not that good either.
I spoke to one manager a while back about their DSLR's and range of products, the response you get is "we sell far more Canon and Nikon" and there isn't a lot of point stocking cameras that won't sell that well. Sony know they will get some retail presence because of their broad range of electronics products (ie tv's, blu ray, hi fi's etc) So you do come across a few Sony cameras in some general electrical/consumer goods shops.

That's why I've said for a while now Sony need to price more aggressively in the market. Few folks are going to pick up an A77 for £800 odd when they can buy a 60d for under £600 and a D7000 for just over £600.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I did a quick price search on those here to see what I could come up with, bodies only.
Canon 60D $609.28 AUD (£391.17)
Nikon D7000 $750 AUD (£481.52
Sony A77 $830 AUD (£532.88)
Wow Canon sure is aggressive these days, but it does make one wonder why they feel the need to cut prices so far, it’s not the intense competition coming from Sony that’s causing it one would think, unless they are selling heaps of NEX’s, which they could be of course, I wouldn’t know how many NEX’s were being sold, but if I were to take a guess I’d bet on the phone camera making it hard to sell expensive cameras these days in light of the economic outlook generally, not just in other places it’s pretty easy to be pessimistic here as well and make do with the phone, and not be in any hurry to buy the latest camera.
I’d love to know how many A77’s Sony is selling here, an SLT at $830 vs $609 for a 60D…the new camera buyer would really need to have an SLT to want to pay the extra $230 on top for the privilege.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I did a quick price search on those here to see what I could come up with, bodies only.
Canon 60D $609.28 AUD (£391.17)
Nikon D7000 $750 AUD (£481.52
Sony A77 $830 AUD (£532.88)
I checked at B&H here in the U.S.:

60D $699
D7000 $897
A77 $1098

You've got some great prices there in Australia. I wonder why I so often see on dpreview Australians complaining about outrageous camera prices?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

It seems that only fairly recently prices have come down quite a lot, you can do a search and find the cheapest price out of quite a range of prices, but it does make one wonder if those cheap prices are actually for real and with Australian warranty etc. and whether if you buy one the wall socket type for the charger is correct as well. I really have no idea on that because I have never bought a camera from somewhere I’ve never heard of before.
I think also people complain about Sony Australia with their prices especially on accessories (lenses) not just cameras, they seem to think they can charge almost double B&H prices (or used too) and nobody will notice.
Greg
Philip
Oligarch

Unread post by Philip »

Barry said[/quote]And I would say the chances of finding an A99 is a real shop is not that good either.[/quote]

Strangly enough our local Jessops DOES have an A99 in the cabinet for people to try out - no lenses to speak of to put on it though! This is the most expensive body they have in store, by a long way - they don't have Canon 5dIII's or Nikon D800's, just 6D's and D600's. Not sure how well its going to do at the best part of £800 more.....

Philip
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

My local Jessops told me whan I queried the lack of SLT's on display over Christmas that it was mostly their premier stores that would carry the mid and high end Sony SLT cameras. They also said that the NEX cameras were selling fairly well all year round but no big rush at Christmas.
bfitzgerald

Not been into any of the big Jessops stores for some time, being honest I don't find the staff very knowledgeable and since they stopped doing s/h stuff I lost interest (London camera exchange does to s/h stuff so I've dropped in there from time to time to try things)
I'm sure there are a few A99's around in some stores, if they sell many is another question.

NEX is selling ok as I see them around. I have no idea how well the SLT range is doing.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financi ... 1/p14.html

"With contributions from the NEX series, in fiscal year 2010 Sony enjoyed a 15% share of the global market for interchangeable lens digital cameras, up 5 percentage points from fiscal year 2009"

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financi ... financial/

If you look digital imaging (which we assume includes everything cybershots sensor sales etc) is 16.3% of their sales in total
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I wonder what the deal is with the Pentax Q (white) sales ranked at #8 in Japan, http://dslrphoto.com/dslr/space.php?do=jranking is it being bought as some kind of ornament or jewellery item, fashion accessory maybe, it’s ranked far in front of any NEX that I could see unless I missed one. It looks like it’s the must have trinket, for 2012 anyway. Even the Canon M (two lens kit) was selling heaps at #9 and at three times the price of the Q.
The first mention of an SLT I could find was the A65 at #47.
Things aren’t wonderful in the camera business though http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/25/cam ... des-demand so Sony could end up with a smaller share of a shrinking market.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I wonder what the deal is with the Pentax Q (white) sales ranked at #8 in Japan, http://dslrphoto.com/dslr/space.php?do=jranking is it being bought as some kind of ornament or jewellery item, fashion accessory maybe, it’s ranked far in front of any NEX that I could see unless I missed one. It looks like it’s the must have trinket, for 2012 anyway. Even the Canon M (two lens kit) was selling heaps at #9 and at three times the price of the Q.
The first mention of an SLT I could find was the A65 at #47.
Things aren’t wonderful in the camera business though http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/25/cam ... des-demand so Sony could end up with a smaller share of a shrinking market.
Coincidentally I made a post concerning this yesterday:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =21&t=6387
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au have the A77 body at AU$799, I know they ship from HongKong , But you do get Australian power cords , (well on the Sony 2 cameras I've seen purchased from there) and warranty is handled by DWI not Sony AU.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Greg Beetham wrote:I wonder what the deal is with the Pentax Q (white) sales ranked at #8 in Japan, http://dslrphoto.com/dslr/space.php?do=jranking
I think that you will find that those sales figures are derived only from something like Amazon Japan & not for the whole Japanese market.
But Japan does seem to be a fairly unique market where things that seem odd to Westerners do well.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

bakubo wrote:
Coincidentally I made a post concerning this yesterday:

Yes I did read that Henry, and was amazed at where the Q was positioned so I went to see who else had info on sales. Actually at the time I was more interested in the second listing on the SLR style cameras but of course I can’t read Japanese so I needed something in Ingrish, and I notice there seems to be a big difference between the two lots of sales figures on how Sony’s SLT’s are positioned when you include sales of mirrorless cameras or not, but the position at where the Q resides is pretty much the same regardless.
There are big differences between what happens in Japan and the rest of the world, as the article by Thom you linked pointed out those hot selling mirrorless cameras (half the overall sales in Japan) there only amount to 10% of sales in the US which makes one think that maybe the NEX7 (available most of the year) didn’t sell all that well in the US if all the mirrorless cameras combined still only add up to 10% of interchangeable lens camera sales, 90% of sales in the US are DSLR style ILC’s.
If I were to guess about the meaning of the figures I suppose in Japan mirrorless ILC’s are popular because they’re trendy but in the US people might buy one as a second camera but prefer DSLR’s by a big margin.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am not so surprised that the Pentax Q was fairly popular in Japan. As I wrote in the following thread earlier in 2012 the tiny, cute little Q might be popular with some people in Japan:

That thread is sort of interesting to go back and read through to see how things developed throughout 2012.
bfitzgerald

Japan is an odd market so I'm not shocked the tiny Q has an appeal to that audience. I'd be surprised (price cuts or not) if it's doing that well in the USA or Europe
SLT sales we have no idea on I would wager Sony are under 10% market share for Europe, but no cashbacks on the A77, but models under it (various cash back offers are common at this time of year)

Sony missed a big sales chance in the UK at least with the A99 for this sales period.

I know some folks hate the Amazon DSLR sales listings which update hourly, but last time I checked Sony were getting destroyed by even the K-30 on the sales ranking. The A77 has a mere 2 customer reviews and barely makes it into the top 100, A57 doing ok ish but struggling at the 20 odd mark. But nowhere near where it should be.

I've not seen a Sony in the top 5 rankings since the A200 days. That surely must be a sign that sales are not very good. Canon are heavily discounting the 600d with kit lens, so are Nikon on the D5100. 60d and D7k are at record low prices. Sony seem unwilling to drop their prices or to compete with them.