Lens damage.

Info, discussion, repair manuals, downloads, home fixes, horror stories!
MickH
Initiate

Lens damage.

Unread post by MickH »

I see that this marque is so reliable that nothing has been posted in this area for nigh on two years. I hope that somebody spots my post.

I acquired a Sony 300mm f2.8 last year - new model and was very happy especially as it was, effectively, a gift.

Recently I put it into the boot of my car without dismounting it and without replacing the lens cover. My only excuse is awful weather, great haste and stupidity.

The upshot is a mark, quite bad and a couple of cm long, on the front element. Nothing I do will remove it so I'm in big trouble. I rather think that it rubbed against some part of my tripod during the journey.

Is it true that the front element of this lens is plain glass? If so maybe my bank account won't suffer too badly.

I'm also assuming that the Sony repair facility is the way to go - unless someone can recommend something better.

I await your replies with interest - meanwhile I'll be drying my tears.

MickH
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Lens damage.

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 300mm was/is supplied, as far as I know, with a glass protector. It's very easy to tell. The glass protector is perfectly flat - like a filter. If this is what you have damaged, there's no big problem. The actual front element of the lens is a fairly soft optical glass, and has a convex curved surface. If you have damaged this, the cost of replacement is high.

http://www.newtonellis.com/

This is a Liverpool company able to repolish damaged lens surfaces. Since you use the word boot I assume you are in the UK.

David
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

Thanks David,

Yes I am in the UK.

As far as I can tell the front 'element' is flat. To put it another way - if the front element is curved then it's so slight that my eyes can't see it and placing a flat surface on the element doesn't show anything obvious either.

Would you recommend sending it back to Sony or do you reckon that your Liverpool crew are the best bet?

RGDS
MickH

PS Is it always so quiet in this forum?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

MickH wrote:...PS Is it always so quiet in this forum?
I wouldn't bet on that... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

MickH wrote:I see that this marque is so reliable that nothing has been posted in this area for nigh on two years. I hope that somebody spots my post.

MickH
Actually, the first few posts are "sticky" so they always show on top.

I posted to this section last Oct that I had problems w/ 2 of my cameras. Still haven't had the $$ to get them fixed! :x

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

From Kurt Munger's website - optical diagram. The front glass is definitely protecting the soft ED glass front element. That means it's easily replaced. But I see that Sony will charge you £700 for a replacement lens hood, let alone a front glass.

I suggest you try the Liverpool firm, and ask them if a replacement glass (correctly nano-coated) can be obtained from Sony. If it can not be, ask them if they are able to fit a 105mm size Hoya Pro1 Digital protector glass (which has the same type of coating) or alternatively a Sigma 105mm EX filter (which is EXACTLY the same coating, as Sigma make some Sony lenses using this coating.

If you go to Sony I bet they will want the best part of £1000 for the repair.

David
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

Thanks David,
Wonderfully helpful. I'll do as you suggest. Luckily one of my sons lives in Liverpool and so I'll be able to go in person quite soon.

Thanks again.

MickH
MickH
Initiate

Re: Lens damage. - Update

Unread post by MickH »

I'm a bit closer.

Sony have been useless. I spent hours on the phone to them and most of the folk I spoke to couldn't be bothered to understand the issue let alone help. I was given the number of their on line store (box shifters), their computer helpline, their TV helpline and so on. Anything to get rid of me.

I eventually spoke with their camera repair centre who said, Pay us £100, send us the lens and we will tell you what's wrong with it.

I say, " I know what's wrong with it I just want to know how much the front element costs and if it's available ex stock".

"Sorry can't tell you that, Send us £100 ............"

Cutting out a lot more I was eventually recommended to a local Sony approved repairer (similar to the Liverpool lot that David recommended) who gave me a quote within 10 minutes and believes (if the Sony system is accurate) that the element is in stock. Cost about £300.

I discussed David's 'filter idea' with him but eventually reached the conclusion that a non-Sony part would save only £100 or so and, with a lens at this price, wasn't worth the risk.

If all goes to plan I should be back in action this time next week.

MickH
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

It's fixed. Extremely rapid service by my repairer.

I hope someone is interested in all this. I can't easily avoid the impression that I'm talking to myself :D

MickH
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

MickH wrote:It's fixed. Extremely rapid service by my repairer.
Glad you got it fixed.
MickH wrote: I hope someone is interested in all this. I can't easily avoid the impression that I'm talking to myself :D
I guess the hordes of other Sony 300mm f2.8 owners we have here must have missed your thread. :lol:
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very glad to hear you got it fixed Mick :)

A shame that Sony were so unhelpful.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

I guess the hordes of other Sony 300mm f2.8 owners we have here must have missed your thread. :lol:
I saw the emoticon so don't take what follows the wrong way.

I really didn't think that my story was relevant to just owners of that lens. I hoped that maybe someone else had also had repair trouble with Sony and had some advice about who to contact. I can't be the only one that didn't fit into Sony's rigid 'system'.

I also thought that the fact that I'd found a helpful independent repairer might have sparked some interest.

I much appreciated David's help and guidance and it was his help that eventually caused me to have enough information to make a decision. I didn't go along his 'Liverpool path' for a couple of reasons. First because I was a bit scared of trusting such a lens to the post/courier. Second because when I spoke to them they seemed incredibly busy and , whilst helpful, were not nearly so helpful as the folk that I eventually did use.

In short I left a whole raft of open questions and was quite surprised that nobody seemed interested.

MickH
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

MickH wrote:I saw the emoticon so don't take what follows the wrong way.

I really didn't think that my story was relevant to just owners of that lens. I hoped that maybe someone else had also had repair trouble with Sony and had some advice about who to contact. I can't be the only one that didn't fit into Sony's rigid 'system'.

I also thought that the fact that I'd found a helpful independent repairer might have sparked some interest.

I much appreciated David's help and guidance and it was his help that eventually caused me to have enough information to make a decision. I didn't go along his 'Liverpool path' for a couple of reasons. First because I was a bit scared of trusting such a lens to the post/courier. Second because when I spoke to them they seemed incredibly busy and , whilst helpful, were not nearly so helpful as the folk that I eventually did use.

In short I left a whole raft of open questions and was quite surprised that nobody seemed interested.
My only experience with Sony service was unsatisfactory also. I sent my camera in, they repaired it, but the same problem returned soon after. Maybe others have had poor experiences too so yours was just one more. By the way, I looked through the thread and see that David did reply a couple of times so you did get responses. Oh well, sorry the forum folks disappointed you.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I think the long-term value of posts like this counts more than discussion, I don't think anyone was consciously ignoring the thread.

In the web pages, we publish and list resources which have not been updated for some time. Therefore it would be good to know who the repairers are, and to list their phone/web in that part of the site - after the repair is satisfactorily completed.

David
MickH
Initiate

Unread post by MickH »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I think the long-term value of posts like this counts more than discussion, I don't think anyone was consciously ignoring the thread.

In the web pages, we publish and list resources which have not been updated for some time. Therefore it would be good to know who the repairers are, and to list their phone/web in that part of the site - after the repair is satisfactorily completed.

David
Thanks David,

I have not yet picked up the lens - just received both a phone call and email that it's ready for collection. When I've got it back and tested it (as best I can) I'll post their website.

To answer another contributor (I do apologize that I've forgotten the name). I wasn't disappointed but surprised. Of course forum members have every right to answer a post (or not). I didn't believe that it was somehow being given the 'cold shoulder' and I do appreciate David's help and advice. As I said in an earlier post it was wonderfully helpful.

As a newbie I thought that this sort of thread might generate considerable interest and might even be of help. I guess that my 'talking to myself remark' was a bit ugly and maybe open to misinterpretation. . If it was I'm sorry.

MickH