SAR rumour CZ E-mount 16-80mm zoom

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
alphaomega
Viceroy

SAR rumour CZ E-mount 16-80mm zoom

Unread post by alphaomega »

The SAR chap is at it again sticking his neck out with SR5 claim that
Very well known sources confirmed that Sony will launch a premium quality standard zoom lens in 2013. I don’t have the exact specs and release date yet but I have been told it’s a ZEISS! I have been told it will be similar to the current Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 A-mount lens
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-ther ... eiss-zoom/ Of nearly 3000 voting 45% would consider buying one. A $999 price is suggested. That would probably be £900 here in UK.
I have the A-mount CZ16-80 and love the output it can produce on my A580. Not sure I would invest that amount of money as I cannot see the lens being smaller that E18-55mm kit lens. I am looking for weight loss rather than gain as well and wil probably stay with my 16-50mm pancake. If I felt like putting the CZ in front of my NEX I would use my LA-EA2 in between. The old NEX lens map contained a G type E standard Zoom. Perhaps the G has been transformed into CZ and thus we are not actually witnessing an addition to the old lens map.
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Re: SAR rumour CZ E-mount 16-80mm zoom

Unread post by gio67 »

alphaomega wrote:The SAR chap is at it again sticking his neck out with SR5 claim that
Very well known sources confirmed that Sony will launch a premium quality standard zoom lens in 2013. I don’t have the exact specs and release date yet but I have been told it’s a ZEISS! I have been told it will be similar to the current Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 A-mount lens
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-ther ... eiss-zoom/ Of nearly 3000 voting 45% would consider buying one. A $999 price is suggested. That would probably be £900 here in UK.
I have the A-mount CZ16-80 and love the output it can produce on my A580. Not sure I would invest that amount of money as I cannot see the lens being smaller that E18-55mm kit lens. I am looking for weight loss rather than gain as well and wil probably stay with my 16-50mm pancake. If I felt like putting the CZ in front of my NEX I would use my LA-EA2 in between. The old NEX lens map contained a G type E standard Zoom. Perhaps the G has been transformed into CZ and thus we are not actually witnessing an addition to the old lens map.
if your sticking with the A mount system too, it makes no sense other than to buy A mount lenses and use the LA-EA2, other than the 16-50 I got with the nex6 and the 16mm with the nex 5n they are the only e mount lenses I have,plus the LA-EA2 for all my other lenses, if need be.
Generally I bought the nex system to compliment my A580 not replace it,so if it's for compactness then it's the nex and small lenses I take,ie evenings on holiday and parties etc,all other instances I use the 580.
I could never envisage my life without a conventional slr type camera
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

I'd actually hope that the lens will be a Sony G rather than a CZ. If it's got Zeiss on the front, there won't be any OSS in the lens.

Unless they do both a G and a CZ...
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Bring it on. We have now had more than 5 nex body iterations and only a couple of decent lenses with the CZ 24 and, possibly, the 10-18/4. We have been tantalised with tales of a 16-50/2.8 but all that's turned up in this critical walk-around range is a low-end consumer-grade pancake which is, by account, inferior even to the original, undistinguished, 18-55 kit lens.

It's enough to make a chap say OMD!!
alphaomega
Viceroy

Artington wrote
Bring it on. We have now had more than 5 nex body iterations and only a couple of decent lenses with the CZ 24 and, possibly, the 10-18/4. We have been tantalised with tales of a 16-50/2.8 but all that's turned up in this critical walk-around range is a low-end consumer-grade pancake which is, by account, inferior even to the original, undistinguished, 18-55 kit lens.
It's enough to make a chap say OMD!!
I bought the NEX-6 with 16-50 pancake. I looked at the results and sold my 18-55 E-mount kit lens. Apart from that comment I agree that we could do with more semi pro E mount lenses. Incidentally I would rate the E55-210 zoom a "decent" lens. I think that a "decent" E-mount standard zoom will materialise in 2013.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

artington wrote:We have now had more than 5 nex body iterations and only a couple of decent lenses with the CZ 24 and, possibly, the 10-18/4.
Sure. But there's a purely technical problem, and there's another problem with the customer base.

The tech prob is that the system has to use telecentric lenses which are normally much longer/bulkier. If they try to modify the LPF (or is it microlenses? I don't think so...) so that it allows for non-telecentric designs to work well enough, there are immediate negative consequences to the DoF that is shifted to front along with blurring the infinity and may even become spotty under conditions of uneven refraction index of the air medium. That's why I gave away my 5N to a friend who uses it to shoot his newborn (no problems with AF at high ISO and deeper DoF).
When they don't cut corners with funky toppings over the sensor, they produce a 7 that is very finicky about the lenses. That's natural; I take it as it is and use the 7 without native lenses as the only good two of those are 50mm and 35mm, and then the 30mm Sigma.

The customer base prob is that everybody (I'd guess 95%) of the user base are normal consumer types who want a small versatile lens with that small sexy thingie Nex. So they get that 16mm and now the 16-50mm that may produce some great result now and then, if stars align, but normally are total garbage.

I really think the system needs a split into two - a sys with larger bodies with higher-quality larger lenses and another one with P&S-grade bodies and lenses. As it stands now, it's a typical 'toilet-piano inbred cross'.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

agorabasta wrote: When they don't cut corners with funky toppings over the sensor, they produce a 7 that is very finicky about the lenses. That's natural; I take it as it is and use the 7 without native lenses as the only good two of those are 50mm and 35mm, and then the 30mm Sigma.
I like the 24 f1.8! (I haven't play enough with the 10-18 yet, but I believe is "good enough", or better...)
agorabasta wrote: I really think the system needs a split into two - a sys with larger bodies with higher-quality larger lenses and another one with P&S-grade bodies and lenses. As it stands now, it's a typical 'toilet-piano inbred cross'.
The NEX C3, cute and small, apparently didn't work that well, that's why the NEX F3 is actually even a little taller than the NEX 5N. In other hand, IMHO the NEX7 is big enough.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alphaomega
Viceroy

The customer base prob is that everybody (I'd guess 95%) of the user base are normal consumer types who want a small versatile lens with that small sexy thingie Nex. So they get that 16mm and now the 16-50mm that may produce some great result now and then, if stars align, but normally are total garbage.
I really think the system needs a split into two - a sys with larger bodies with higher-quality larger lenses and another one with P&S-grade bodies and lenses. As it stands now, it's a typical 'toilet-piano inbred cross'.
What about the FF NEX apparently under testing and evaluation
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/still-wo ... -ff-rumor/
And now the NEX FF: There is no news yet. I have been told Sony still has not decided the exact time frame for the official release. It all depends from the ongoing testing work. They are now testing two prototypes, one with 24Megapixel and one with 30-32 Megapixel sensor. Both sensors have new features and phase detection pixels on sensor. The AF performance is one of the key technologies Sony want to improve. The tested sensors are part of a new generation of Sony sensors
This development would presumably require a completely new set of FF E-mount lenses and should (in time) satisfy agorabasta's "higher quality larger lenses" requirement, but if it does not perform better than SLT99/A-mount lens combinatons and is as large and heavy I ask: What is the point? Surely the point with NEX APS-C is quality in a small and light package and the number of pro shooters who have sung the praises of NEX with third party lenses shows that the NEX concept fills a space even for professionals. I for my part am able to pursue my retirement hobby of supplying Alamy using my NEX bodies and lenses, proving that this concept is not restricted to "normal consumer types". You do not need a NEX system to produce 5x7in prints or images on a computer screen for ordinary viewing.
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. I have the current CZ16-80 in A-mount and the only thing keeping me from selling it is not having its equivalent in E-mount. It will be a huge disappointment if it doesn't have OSS. I didn't see the rumor saying anywhere that it wouldn't and I can't imagine them not putting it in a lens of this type. This is exactly the focal range I like to shoot with and even if it's larger and heavier than 18-55, no big deal. The whole shebang is still smaller and lighter than my A65/CZ16-80.

Ed
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

pakodominguez wrote:I like the 24 f1.8! (I haven't play enough with the 10-18 yet, but I believe is "good enough", or better...)
Have you tried to compare that 24f1.8 against Sigma 19f2.8? I'd say that even an enlarged crop from that 19mm Sigma to 24mm is better than that 24mm CZ itself; all is better - sharpness, contrast, blur shape/symmetry. That's why I don't own the 24f1.8.
But naturally, the crop is not f/1.8, it's f/3.5 effective after the cropping.

And that 10-18 may be good for a zoom, but I can't imagine myself using it over my 14mm Samyang.