Nepal trip photos

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Nepal trip photos

Unread post by bakubo »

I have created a new Nepal photo gallery on my website so please take a look if you are interested. Note that the photos in this gallery are a bit larger than most of my older galleries. The photos are in chronological order.

http://www.bakubo.com/Galleries%202/index.html

I traveled in Nepal for a month in November/December, but it has taken me a bit of time to get some of my photos ready because I bought a new computer and then there was Christmas and New Years. It was my first time to go to Nepal so it was cool to see many new places, meet some new people, and take photographs in a new place!

In Nepal I traveled around and went to Kathmandu, Patan, Bhaktapur, Nuwakot, Bandipur, Pokhara, Sauraha, and Chitwan National Park. I spent 2 weeks traveling with 5 people from Australia and Scotland and 2.5 weeks on my own. They were a great group of people!

Among other things, we went on a 2-day, 1-night whitewater rafting trip on the Seti River in Nepal and at night we set up tents next to the river and spent the night. In the deep black sky the stars were wondrous! I had planned to go on a trek somewhere for about a week, but then I got quite sick for 10 days, lost lots of weight, and even after I finally started feeling better I was pretty weak so I ended up not doing any trekking. I did go on a couple of 7 hour hikes (one in the hills outside Bandipur to a little village called Ramkot and one at Chitwan National Park through the jungle). Even though I was sick for 10 days (even during the rafting trip) I still did a lot and didn't sit around in a hotel room somewhere. I didn't want to miss anything. :-) I just didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if I had been well. For example, in Pokhara before sunrise we climbed to the top of Sarangkot to watch the sunrise and the first rays hitting the Annapurna range of the Himalayas. Beautiful!

Here is a panorama of the Annapurna Range of the Himalaya Mountains at sunrise in Nepal taken from the top of Sarangkot:

http://www.bakubo.com/panoramas.html

I ended up spending more time in Kathmandu than I had expected because I was recovering from illness. Also, the airline canceled my flight home so I had to stay an additional 3 days until another flight from Kathmandu to Kunming to Shanghai to Honolulu was available. The extra time in Kathmandu gave me the chance to do more street life photography there though!

This was the first trip to use my Olympus E-M5 kit that I bought in May 2012. This is what I took:

Olympus E-M5 + 3 batteries + charger
Panasonic G3 + battery + charger (backup body)
Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 + UV filter + polarizer filter + lens hood
Olympus 9-18mm f4-5.6 + UV filter + lens hood
Panasonic 14mm f2.5 + UV filter + lens hood
Panasonic 20mm f1.7 + UV filter
Olympus FL-300R flash + 2 nimh AAA batteries
98gb of SD memory cards
Canon S95 digicam + battery + charger

I would say that it is about 1/3 the size and weight compared to my usual DSLR camera travel kit. You can see a size comparison here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 46&#p74008

It worked out well. After buying the E-M5 I adjusted the EVF as I describe in the post below and that made the EVF acceptable in contrasty light:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 32&#p71641

In selecting photos for the gallery I had the same dilemma I always have. I put them on my website to serve two purposes that sometimes overlap, but sometimes diverge. I want to put the photos I like the best while at the same time try to put photos that are fairly representative of most of the places I went and saw in the particular country. That is what I did for this Nepal gallery. I tried to explain this here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 22&#p75322

I hope you enjoy the photos of Nepal!

Last edited by bakubo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Nepal trip photos

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Took a lot of time to view all the shots. Decided to look one part per day, but made a non-stop viewing.
I enjoyed it a lot, probably as you have enjoyed your trip.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Lots of interesting images Henry I got through #1 and #2 before I was interrupted.
I wondered what the deal was with the cow-wildebeest type critter with the toothy grin? I don’t think I’d like to get too close to that dude. I liked the wood carvings, totems, those guys new what made the world go round, and the markets were great I wondered how they catch fish in Nepal? it’s like hundreds and hundreds of km’s from the ocean, they must be a fresh water lake type I guess. And what about the ochre stuff being smeared on the pavers and steps, what’s going on there? Why the ‘fishtail’ in the Annapurna range that looks suspiciously like Everest?
Greg
Ps you might have got off lightly with the health upset you had there, I saw on the news there is/was cholera in the region. :shock:
http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticl ... a-outbreak
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Took a lot of time to view all the shots. Decided to look one part per day, but made a non-stop viewing.
I enjoyed it a lot, probably as you have enjoyed your trip.
Thanks, Doc. Yes, there are quite a few photos so thank you for taking a look.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Lots of interesting images Henry I got through #1 and #2 before I was interrupted.
I wondered what the deal was with the cow-wildebeest type critter with the toothy grin? I don’t think I’d like to get too close to that dude. I liked the wood carvings, totems, those guys new what made the world go round, and the markets were great I wondered how they catch fish in Nepal? it’s like hundreds and hundreds of km’s from the ocean, they must be a fresh water lake type I guess.
Yes, there are lakes and rivers. Although the rivers I saw I wouldn't touch a fish from one with a ten foot pole. :lol:
Greg Beetham wrote: And what about the ochre stuff being smeared on the pavers and steps, what’s going on there?
That was in Bhakatapur and it was during the big Dashain celebration days:

http://www.nepalhomepage.com/society/fe ... shain.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dasain

By the way, the above info says it is in September/October and I was there in mid-November, but many locals told me it was Dashain and also I sometimes saw signs in English, so I can't explain the discrepancy. Maybe the exact timing varies from year to year. That afternoon and evening everyone was out decorating. In front of the doors of homes and businesses people were spreading that stuff on the ground. I think someone told me it was meant to welcome the god into their home and bring them good fortune.
Greg Beetham wrote: Why the ‘fishtail’ in the Annapurna range that looks suspiciously like Everest?
That mountain is named Fishtail, but in Nepali it is Machapuchare:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machapuchare
Greg Beetham wrote: Ps you might have got off lightly with the health upset you had there, I saw on the news there is/was cholera in the region. :shock:
http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticl ... a-outbreak
It occurred to me while I was sick that I might have cholera.
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Well I've got part way through the first set - I'll come back to them tomorrow and do another lot. I'm impressed with the coloors - what Sony is good at! I also like the quirkier ones you've done, like the feet and the cobbled together bicycle seat. So far it's an excellent to view another culture. It's a shame there isn't some kind of explanation for some of them.

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wildieswife wrote:... It's a shame there isn't some kind of explanation for some of them.

Pat
I would prefer for most of them. However, I think the shots speak for themselves too.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Wildieswife wrote:Well I've got part way through the first set - I'll come back to them tomorrow and do another lot. I'm impressed with the coloors - what Sony is good at! I also like the quirkier ones you've done, like the feet and the cobbled together bicycle seat. So far it's an excellent to view another culture. It's a shame there isn't some kind of explanation for some of them.
Thanks, Pat. I plan to go back and add more to the captions, but I was sort of working on a time limit. My wife's parents are coming for a visit and they were supposed to arrive today, but there was a short hang up and changed their flight so that they will arrive tomorrow. Once they get here I will probably not have a lot of time to work on the website for awhile so I wanted to get these Nepal photos up on my website before they got here. With the one day delay I may try to add some more to the captions today. If and when I do I will post back here.

Speaking of the Olympus colors, I am not sure I like the Lightroom Adobe profile so much. I sometimes had to spend quite a bit of time adjusting LR to get things looking okay. For some cameras, such as Canon, they have several profiles, but for Olympus they just have the one. A guy who says he is a color scientist has created new LR/ACR profiles for the E-M5 and many other cameras (including NEX):

http://www.colorfidelity.com/

Has anyone used these?
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

bakubo wrote:http://www.colorfidelity.com/

Has anyone used these?
Not yet, but looking at the samples I might for my RX100 and the EPL1 from the missus. I guess you haven't either?

Mark
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mvanrheenen wrote:Not yet, but looking at the samples I might for my RX100 and the EPL1 from the missus. I guess you haven't either?
No, I haven't. They are only $10 per camera though so I will probably get the E-M5 one. He has examples here:

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/huelight-color ... post334312

All 4 of those though are in bright daylight. I would like to see more variety of example images and lighting though. Still, the profiles are only $10. I think I read somewhere that actually you get 3 profiles (not just one) and maybe the other cameras are similar.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I went back and added a bit more info to some of the captions.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Henry,

I had a short visit to your Nepal Gallery a few days ago and am very impressed. I wasn't expecting anything less having gotten a little about your shooting style. :) I will return to savor the moments while looking into our gallery of these very colourful people and the culture.

The panoramas also made the cut for me. : ) Hard work, wrapping all of these up for sure. Well done! I'm more than a little envious of your Nepal trip. A land to discover over and over again in every possible opportunity.

Thanks for sharing. And I wonder if you already laid out the world map for your next destination? : )

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I had mistakenly written this:

I would say that it is about 1/3 smaller and lighter than my usual camera kit.

But, of course, I meant to write this:

I would say that it is about 1/3 the size and weight compared to my usual DSLR camera travel kit.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:I had a short visit to your Nepal Gallery a few days ago and am very impressed. I wasn't expecting anything less having gotten a little about your shooting style. :) I will return to savor the moments while looking into our gallery of these very colourful people and the culture.
Thanks for taking a look, Yildiz.
aster wrote: The panoramas also made the cut for me. : ) Hard work, wrapping all of these up for sure. Well done! I'm more than a little envious of your Nepal trip. A land to discover over and over again in every possible opportunity.

Thanks for sharing. And I wonder if you already laid out the world map for your next destination? : )
I haven't given a lot of thought to it, but I would like to go to Sri Lanka. We may even get to Europe this year (my wife wants to go there again) since it has been awhile. The euro is still very strong so I am sort of tired of waiting for the exchange rate to improve so maybe we will just go anyway. Also, probably will be back in Japan sometime this year. No particular plans for anything right now though. Plans? What are those? :lol: I rarely make plans that go much beyond a day or two into the future. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote: Speaking of the Olympus colors, I am not sure I like the Lightroom Adobe profile so much. I sometimes had to spend quite a bit of time adjusting LR to get things looking okay. For some cameras, such as Canon, they have several profiles, but for Olympus they just have the one. A guy who says he is a color scientist has created new LR/ACR profiles for the E-M5 and many other cameras (including NEX):

http://www.colorfidelity.com/
I did end up getting those profiles a long time ago. Also, LR 5.3 Adobe has several new profiles for the E-M5. I guess I must have about 8-10 E-M5 profiles now. When I put an E-M5 raw file into the LR develop module I do a quick check of the different profiles to see which looks the best as a starting point.