MetaBones Speed Booster Adaptor

For discussion of the E and FE mount mirrorless system
bakubo
Tower of Babel

MetaBones Speed Booster Adaptor

Unread post by bakubo »

This new thing looks interesting, but costs $599. Maybe it will sell for less after it comes out.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/14 ... ss-cameras

This guy already has a review of it:

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/
OneGuyKs

Re: MetaBones Speed Booster Adaptor

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

bakubo wrote:This new thing looks interesting, but costs $599. Maybe it will sell for less after it comes out.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/14 ... ss-cameras

This guy already has a review of it:

http://philipbloom.net/2013/01/13/speedbooster/
DK posted an article with this idea a couple of years ago.

Does anyone have the link to it?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/05/14/whats-nex/

This was my first article on the NEX system, in May 2010. In this I identified all the types of lens which would be adapted to work with the NEX (and later were), and also proposed a 0.66X reducing converter to adapt Alpha lenses to cover the NEX format with increased aperture:

Here's the relevant bit:

"You name it, the NEX will be able to do it. Telescopes, microscopes, endoscopes, whatever. And Alpha lenses, and MD lenses. There is even enough ROOM with over 25mm the spare to fit a true retrofocus format reduction converter – that is, a 0.66X optical unit which condenses the image from a full frame lens to fit the APS-C sensor. It is already done in the video and ciné world, and these converters have a wonderful bonus. Your 24-70mm f/2.8 SSM lens becomes, with a 0.66X reducing converter behind it, a 16-46mm f/2. That’s right – the same way a teleconverter loses you a stop or two, a format reduction converter gains you a stop.

The same converters also increase resolution, much as teleconverters reduce it. Zeiss can achieve 400 line pairs per millimetre from high grade 35mm format movie lenses when rear-converted to reduce on to 16mm or video.

Will Sony ever make such a converter? Do they even know that Zeiss have designs, and make exactly this type of converter for Arriflex and other systems via Angenieux? Do they realise that rear fitting format-reduction converters can also perform an AF function, allowing a manual focus lens from Nikon, Canon, Contax, Minolta or whoever to be mounted on a converter which has an ultrasonic AF mechanism of its own?

Imagine that – your 50mm f/1.2 Rokkor becomes an autofocus 33mm f/1.0 on the NEX. This is not blue sky thinking, it’s an optical practicality not a mere possibility. However, you don’t want to know the price of Zeiss converters, and for a system like NEX a universal converter might never be possible; it might have to be matched to the prime lens."

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

About making old manual focus focusing, I have in a box somewhere in the house an old Sigma MD to AF converter 1.6x that allow any MD lenses to auto focus, unfortunately the firmware inside the adapter looks to work only on old Minolta 5000 , 7000 and 9000 . I remember having tried it on 800si , 9xi, 7d and Sony A700 and it was not working.
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Erm how does one make an MF lens AF? There is no internal drive of any sort, the focus works only from the manual focus collar.
Greg
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

I saw the write-up on that Metabone converter and was suitably impressed. I did remember David's suggestions back in 2010 and must say that I admire him for his foresight. Personnally I have no use for such a device as I only now possess one FF lens, namely Tamron's motorised 70-300 lens. On the other hand I think that InTheSky is on to something when he mentions Canon T&S lens. I remember some discussion about this Samyang T&S about which David was quite positive. http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/07 ... shift-lens
I wonder if this lens in Canon mount on a Metabone converter would be just the job on my NEX-6? Could also wait and purchase both items with Sony A mount.
Any views on such a set-up?
jeep1
Initiate

Unread post by jeep1 »

This does look interesting, but as always I'll wait for some good reviews first. I have the 90, 45 and 24 Canon T&S lenses as well as other full frame lenses. But the thought of retaining something closer to the original full frame focal length has a lot of appeal with wide angle lenses in particular. Pity Metabones don't seem to use distributors, only purchase direct. The dollar prices are quite good when converted into pounds, but of course you run the risk of customs adding VAT and handling charges.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Greg - Minolta did this once. They made a 1.7X teleconverter including AF for MD lenses. It was very rare indeed and only surfaced in Japan. It was called an AF converter for MD/SR type lenses. You can make any optical converter do AF by building in a motor to move the optical element.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ah so, a moving element group in the adaptor, now it’s making some sense and why it costs so much, although some FF lenses move their rear group quite a distance already so I assume that you would park the lens focus at infinity but I wonder if the distance available to the adaptor would be enough, maybe as it is a field reducer the range of movement would also decrease as an offset and perhaps with a slight gain (due to the smaller format) in field thickness also? T values would change but with the light loss from the extra element group maybe not by a lot? A whole stop is double the amount of light which seems on the face of it rather high expectations, it will be interesting to keep an eye on that one to see what transpires.
Greg
InTheSky
Viceroy

The adapter I have is the one describe in the bottom of the Dyxum page :

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/teleconverters.asp

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

Got it today ! :-) I will post some result .

So far, playing with the same lens on the A900 and Nex 7, the result looks almost the same (except for the slightly 1.1 compare to 1 crop factor difference).

REgards,

Frank
Frank
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

InTheSky wrote:Got it today ! :-) I will post some result .

So far, playing with the same lens on the A900 and Nex 7, the result looks almost the same (except for the slightly 1.1 compare to 1 crop factor difference).

REgards,

Frank
get the pics up quick Frank, you can be the resident guinea pig on this one
InTheSky
Viceroy

voila!

Same size lenses: old rokkor 58 1.2 on Canon EF modified and on last version on Minolta Alpha modified. (The canon cannot focus more than 30 feet at f1.2 to limit breaking mirror)

LINK: http://www.pbase.com/nadeauf/metabonesuper

This is very quick test without tripod, i will do better next time, so far the result are good.

Tomorrow I will have some real Canon lenses.

Frank
Frank
InTheSky
Viceroy

Other image if you don't like to go to pbase.com :-)

A900 on the right, NEX 7 on the left , the lenses set at f2.0 on both same exposure time and ISO, almost same distance from the front lens and subject:
ImageImage

Other point of focus:
ImageImage

Other point of focus:
ImageImage

Voila pour ce soir, now I have to work on real job :-(

Regards,

Frank
Frank
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals has done some testing

Metabones Magic?

Source: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/metabones-magic